Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just Landed - Motor Insurance

Just Landed - Motor Insurance

Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

DesertDubliner Reloaded is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Landed - Motor Insurance

What are your experiences with getting motor insurance shortly after arriving to the US in the sense that the insurers consider credit rating? Obviously, on arrival one has no credit rating.

Everybody get their backs skinned in the first year, or is there a way around it?
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Landed - Motor Insurance

You pretty much have to suck it up.

I managed to insure my new Cadillac ATS 3.6 for ~$2000 for 12 months via NJM in New Jersey which was by far the best price I got quoted - Progressive were the next cheapest at about $1400 for 6 months.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a State Farm agent, showed them evidence of no-claims discounts from my wife and my UK insurance companies and they accepted that as proof of driving experience. We paid about $1000 a year per vehicle, I think.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Budget a grand for 6 months cover...no US driving history and credit history, which there isn't much you can do about.

Previous history might get you treated as a 18 year old new driver, which is better than a 15 year old, but it's really just a sales ploy for anything else.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

DesertDubliner Reloaded is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Some good info here. I will bring my no claims cert from Ireland and see what happens.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 11:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesertDubliner Reloaded
Thanks. Some good info here. I will bring my no claims cert from Ireland and see what happens.
Some brokers might give you a little deduction, some won't, but either way be prepared to pay about $2,000/yr/vehicle. The good news is that the premiums drop fairly sharply over the first 3-4 years.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 12:37 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you inspect the policy to ensure you're satisfied with the levels of liability and deductibles offered.

It was a bit more finicky than what I was used to and I found that there state minimum levels weren't really enough for me.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 1:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Make sure you inspect the policy to ensure you're satisfied with the levels of liability and deductibles offered.

It was a bit more finicky than what I was used to and I found that there state minimum levels weren't really enough for me.
Good point, the "state minimum" levels can be dangerously low, meaning that you are one wreck with a Ferrari or from disabling a doctor or other high-paid professional away from being sued into oblivion either by the injured party or their insurance company looking to recover part of what they had to pay out.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 1:53 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...861-254888.pdf

Try calling these people - will take your UK history into account. I more than halved my premium while still having far better than state minimum coverage.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of misconceptions.

Insurance in the US is highly regulated and at the State level, you might as well consider them separate countries.

A Broker does not set rates, or discounts, and not that many of them compared to the UK.

Mostly you will come across Agents, who generally run independent businesses tied to one particular insurer.

Certainly in Colorado Insurance rates have to be filed with the State, one of the reasons you see the TV adverts that offer to give you their competitors terms.

As a new arrival you would probably be better off with an Insurer who does not rate according to credit score.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...861-254888.pdf

Try calling these people - will take your UK history into account. I more than halved my premium while still having far better than state minimum coverage.
We've literally (yesterday) ordered our car through IAS and were 'given' membership of this as part of the deal. Will now be exploring the insurance options.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:37 am
Just Joined

sadiigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Springy6
We've literally (yesterday) ordered our car through IAS and were 'given' membership of this as part of the deal. Will now be exploring the insurance options.

I also used IAS and ordered 2 cars in March. They referred me to AIG travelguard, who quoted me around $2,000 (for both cars) for 6 months (NJ and 15k miles per year) - insurance provided by 21st Century. They didn't take into account my UK driving history and didn't require US driving license.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Progressive offer up-to 30% discount I think for fitting a Snapshot device.
Anyone used these?
What are sensible minimums for uninsured drivers etc.?
Old Jun 26th 2015, 12:47 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesertDubliner Reloaded
What are your experiences with getting motor insurance shortly after arriving to the US in the sense that the insurers consider credit rating? Obviously, on arrival one has no credit rating.

Everybody get their backs skinned in the first year, or is there a way around it?
Won't work if you need a car right away, but I joined zip car in the US, and then when I went to get my own car I asked them to send me a "proof of insurance letter" to show I had US insurance history. (note I could be a member on a UK DL, before I got my GC).
Old Jun 28th 2015, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

nouseforanameuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Metromile in California were happy to take my UK driving history into account and and was by far the most cost effective for me. I do relatively low mileage of around 1000 miles per month and the coverage costs around $100 each month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.