Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just Kidding???

Just Kidding???

Old May 24th 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Kidding???

Originally Posted by Maz
I think the majority of Americans I've met can't grasp humour very well, not even their own, so they have to point it out if they're making a joke, otherwise you might think they're being serious. Yeah, right! LOL I think it's quite pathetic a lot of the time, but I just tend not to notice it now.
Your quite right, we Americans have no understanding of humor whatsoever. In fact, we only find one thing funny in the entire world- the British. Just kidding

I'm always very amused in resturants, if you say 'thank you' its absolutley compulsory for the waiter/ress to say 'you're welcome' sometimes I count the number of times I get 'your welcome' in one sitting...
That remindes me of a scene in Revenge of the Sith. During the opening sequence a battle droid hands two lightsabers to General Grievous, the ones belonging to Obi-Wan and Anakin. Grievous snatches the lightsabers from the droids hand without saying a word. The droid blurts out "your welcome" in a sarcastic tone. This of course was meant to shove Grievous' bad manners back in his face. Grievous completely ignores the droid, which makes me wonder if Grievous has a bit of British ancestory. Ha! Just Kidding

Last edited by Jabba1; May 24th 2005 at 3:41 am.
Old May 24th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
It's the same for sitcoms too. They have to put in the canned laughter or nobody would ever know which bits were funny.

I missed that bit,was a bit FUNNY????????????????????????,when???????????????? ????,Im so dumb,j/k,not
Old May 24th 2005, 1:32 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Your quite right, we Americans have no understanding of humor whatsoever. In fact, we only find one thing funny in the entire world- the British. Just kidding

That remindes me of a scene in Revenge of the Sith. During the opening sequence a battle droid hands two lightsabers to General Grievous, the ones belonging to Obi-Wan and Anakin. Grievous snatches the lightsabers from the droids hand without saying a word. The droid blurts out "your welcome" in a sarcastic tone. This of course was meant to shove Grievous' bad manners back in his face. Grievous completely ignores the droid, which makes me wonder if Grievous has a bit of British ancestory. Ha! Just Kidding
He probably said "You're welcome", "your welcome" wouldn't make sense in that context. (Pet peeve )
Old May 24th 2005, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Dear all
This has probably been done before, sorry if thats the case.
Has anyone else noticed that after an American says something they think is funny, they have to say "Just kidding" or "Just joking" after it. I can only assume they have to say it so other people know it was meant to be funny, as it usually isnt?
Rob
Its said to cover all possible libel lawsuits that might arise over said "unfunny comment"
Old May 24th 2005, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst I'll almost always agree on some level with the variety of complaints we Brits put forward about America and Americans in general, in the matter of humour I have to stand firmly on "their" side.

Consider Bob Hope, W.C. Field, Mae West, Jack Benny, Red Skelton and numerous other internationally famous old-time comics. Today there's
George Carlin, Bill Maher, Bob Newhart, Shelley Berman, Jeff Foxworthy (OK - I know you don't like him, but I DO!), Bill Engvall, Bill Hicks (RIP), Eddie Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg, Ellen Degeneres......etc etc etc. Now, if American audiences did not appreciate humour, why were and are all of these so famous? (And so rich!!) And what about the modern-day Mark Twain - Garrison Keillor ?

If those names don't do it for you, how about the stars of Laugh In and the old Saturday Night Live most of whom are now household names here?

From my husband's vast LP collection I've discovered some lesser known jewels like Flip Wilson and the Chicken Man radio clips, which have me rolling... especially Flip Wilson's monologue about the Indian's response to the Discovery of America.

There will be some people in every country for whom a sense of humour is not high on their list of "must-haves". In America, because the population has such varied roots, with such varied and rich heritages, the types of humour and appreciation of it are likely to be more varied than in some other countries. So what seems like a difficulty in appreciating humour might simply be that that particular person appreciates a different kind of humour - not yours.

From my own observations in the 7 months I've lived here, I didn't have to look far to find plenty to laugh at (not counting George W Bush, 'cos he makes my CRY! :scared: )
Old May 24th 2005, 5:15 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone who finds Adam Sandler funny has my deepest sympathy
Old May 24th 2005, 6:14 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone
Sympathy accepted

Although only a handful of his movies are funny.

Last edited by rincewind; May 24th 2005 at 6:31 pm.
Old May 24th 2005, 6:17 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rincewind
Sympathy excepted

Although only a handful of his movies are funny.
Do you mean "accepted"??
Old May 24th 2005, 6:31 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Do you mean "accepted"??
Thanks Piggy. Brain is fried today
Old May 24th 2005, 6:46 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Today there's George Carlin, Bill Maher, Bob Newhart, Shelley Berman, Jeff Foxworthy (OK - I know you don't like him, but I DO!), Bill Engvall, Bill Hicks (RIP), Eddie Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg, Ellen Degeneres......etc etc etc.

Did you say Ellen Degeneres?

:scared: :scared: :scared:

I'd be fascinated as to what she has said or done that even remotely qualifies as humour.
Old May 24th 2005, 6:47 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
I'd be fascinated as to what she has said or done that even remotely qualifies as humour.
Mr Wrong was a good movie.
Old May 24th 2005, 7:00 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I think she's quite funny and likable for being a dyke and all (just kidding)
Old May 24th 2005, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen 2 or 3 episodes of her stand-up routines, probably several years old however. I found her funny. I think that her sexual preferences have probably held her back a lot in this country, and she ought to have had lots more opportunities. As it is she probably only gets offered rubbish jobs nowadays in the present religious and political set-up.
Old May 24th 2005, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone

I agree wholehartedly. Maybe Sandler should try serious roles, it did wonders for Tom Hanks.
Old May 24th 2005, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I think that her sexual preferences have probably held her back a lot in this country, and she ought to have had lots more opportunities. As it is she probably only gets offered rubbish jobs nowadays in the present religious and political set-up.
What are you on about? She just won an award for best daytime chat show!! She's on commercials...she's had her own tv sitcom. Not exactly rubbish jobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.