Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just how important IS money?

Just how important IS money?

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how important IS money?

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
Just how important is money ?

OK, I'm really gonna embarass myself here, as not many people are aware of our story, but I'm so sick of people saying that money isn't important and at least family and health are better. So here goes.

Ok, when we had to return unexpectedly from Aus back to the UK, we had nothing ! We came back with around £150 (our last bit of wages). We had no furniture, no money, no jobs and no home. All we had were clothes and a few of the childrens' (x 3) Toys.

We had no choice but to go to the Local Authority for help with housing on our return and waited and waited in a Run down, filthy, drug haven of a Bed & Breakfast for nearly a year, awaiting a property. We couldn't find jobs, as employers automatically took it as a bad thing, when we said we were in a B & B through our Council. We had to claim the dreaded benefits, and to be honest I don't know how people stay that way. It took the majority of our time filling in forms, re-filling them as they were continually mislaid by members of staff and different centres etc. Making never ending phone calls to people for proof of us and our children, then going back and forth a billion times to take this proof to the necessary people. Anyway, being on benefits is a full time job in my opinion, unless it's sickness or disability. It's not what we wanted but had no choice in our situation. We couldn't privately rent, because a)we had been out of the country and had no previous fixed abode for x amount of years whilst away, b)had no MONEY for a deposit, c)had 3 children (which estate agens don't seem to like these days). We struggled daily as coping with the whole benefits system played havoc with mine and my husbands health, to the extent that he thought he was having a breakdown. It was very costly too, transport to the local offices every few days, constant phone calls, photocopying etc, I can now see why people on benefits drink so much Anyway, we were refused housing from Council on the basis that we had been out of the Country, no ifs, no buts, end of story. My son (8) was being bullied by another resident of 12 years old and already an alcoholic like his resident parents, and we were powerless to do anything, bar contain him in our small room. My daughter (5) had horrific nightmares of the druggies that hung out in the hallway, and my other daughter (5) started wetting the bed and having asthma attacks. They were at school all this time which was 15 miles away, again very costly, but the local school wouldn't accept them, because we weren't 'permanently' housed in the area

You know it's funny, you realise who your friends are and how 'blood' isnt thicker than water, when all around you are suddenly in a position where they cannot help. (Sorry, I know you're homeless, but we can't put you up for a few days, as we have a dinner party on Thursday !) Suddenly friends and family stop calling, so you find yourself with no-one too. Before anyone thinks, 'Oh my family wouldnt be like that', Think on ! My family would have moved the earth for me before we went to Aus.

2 days before we were being evicted from the B & B,(because we weren't ELIGIBLE for help from the Government) we finally found a landlord after a year of searching, that would accept us AND our children (warily) without a deposit, that we could pay over the next 2 months. It was our only chance. We moved in with nothing. We both found jobs pretty quickly, badly paid, but jobs nevertheless. We scrimped every penny to pay back the deposit and buy second hand furniture. nearly 4 years on and we are still in very low paid jobs, and just can't seem to progress anyway, no matter how hard we try, or how many extra little jobs we have, so no chance of ever getting on this stupid housing ladder.
Our experience is shameful and embarassing.
We sit here in a Flat, that we've tried to make the best of, with our children, and wonder what the hell happened to our happiness, wondering if our Landlord, like so many others, will want to sell the property on, so we have to move YET AGAIN.

We hate it here, our children hate it here, it's affected all our health and our lives are a misery the majority of the time, except for little things that happen now and again to brighten the mood.

Just how important is Money ????

Money is the World and the answer to everything if you have NONE.

Good Health doesn't get you a roof over your head, secure your children, protect your family, or get you out of the gutter you are in and those are the things that are most important.

I'd rather have money any day

Now I'll go back in my box, thoroughly embarassed and place my paper bag back over my head.
Blimey, Mally, it's me who should be embarrased for even thinking to complain about my situation. You have nothing to be embarrassed about - you've got more cojones than those who had an easy ride and come on here with the easy jibes at those they see as having "failed" (i.e., not thinking Oz/US/wherever is paradise and having the temerity to return to the UK).

Good luck to you, mate.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:00 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
Blimey, Mally, it's me who should be embarrased for even thinking to complain about my situation. You have nothing to be embarrassed about - you've got more cojones than those who had an easy ride and come on here with the easy jibes at those they see as having "failed" (i.e., not thinking Oz/US/wherever is paradise and having the temerity to return to the UK).

Good luck to you, mate.
migrating is like having an arranged marriage. Everyone tells you how great it will be, but you never quite know what you're gonna get.

Good luck to Mally.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
Here's one thing to think of Dunroving.....are you maybe idealizing the States a bit? I sort of detect a little bit of it from you but then again I could be way off base.

If you return now to the States would you be able to get a job back in Tennessee? You teach at the College/University level don't you? Can you get tenure? If not then your job would not always be 'safe'.

As an American it was always in the back of my mind that if health issues did arise then even though I had excellent insurance thru my company......I still would be struggling if I had to go on long term disability. ....and no job is ever really safe....I was made redundant after 23 years with a company when it was sold (in our situation it was great for us......but really sucked for about 1000 other employees).

Right now the housing market is the States is in the crapper in most areas. Houses are sitting at a standstill. Many markets are way down (as a potential buyer that would be good for you though). Did you pay into the Social Security System in the States & have a private pension plan available? At our age (I'm 47, you are 49)....it's a painful fact of life we have to plan for being old and broken......Do you know for sure you could return to Tennessee? Or would you have to accept a position in another state that you might not like so well.

I guess what I am trying to get at in my roundabout way is..... life is not always greener on the other side of the fence. It's what you make of it whether it's in the UK, the US, Australia, etc. that counts in the end.

If money worries are a concern here how about a roommate to help defer expenses? If hiking and biking are great but not enough then try something else or expand a bit with what you love. Is there a Rambler Group of some sort near you? If there is then check it out.....meet new people.......or if there's not.........maybe form one yourself...organize some Rambles.

I dunno, but it seems like you haven't really been back long enough to settle in enough yet....that's just my thinking though. Follow your mind and your heart and you'll hopefully find your answers.
Scout, you're making me answer all the right questions - I really am not about to ditch everything and get back on the next plane, because as you've said maybe I am romanticizing the US a little (or a lot) and after all, I've obviously been in this type of situation before and thought at the time that I was making the right decision.

I don't think I am idealizing my situation in TN, and I really need to remind myself that the US is 50 different countries - remembering how happy I was in TN doesn't mean I should go to MN and think I'll be as happy. I know I'd be a complete mess if I did anything like that, the men in white coats would have to come and get me.

Trying to be rational, I've told myself firstly that any decision can't be made now (logistically, for one thing, but also for reasons you're outlining - I have to be sure).

To be Devil's advocate, even if I did go back, it couldn't realistically be until fall 2009. I need to at least see through one academic year where I am now before I even think about "looking". And then any jobs wouldn't start until the next academic year.

Even if I wanted to go back, finding a job and persuading a school to deal with all the immigation BS wouldn't be a foregone conclusion. And realistically, I don't think I could handle taking the risk of starting a new job somewhere I didn't know. Actually, people where I worked in TN are always telling me they want me back so that is a possibility. I am definitely tenurable, by the way, so that's not a problem. If (big if!) I did go back I'd get straight onto the GC and citizenship process straight away as that's a mistake I made last time (like so many expats), not bothering to get permanence before deciding to head back.

I really am not unsettled/unhappy, I guess the best word is "concerned" about my financial situation. I wouldn't go back to the States again without being absolutely sure about the health/insurance/etc. thing. I am eligible for social security in the US (have my 40 quarters all paid up), and have a nice nest egg in a 401K (which I can't transfer to the UK, and may well be worthless if the pound is at $4 by the time I retire).

One thing I can say with 100% certainty (OK, 99.9%) is that my quality of life and happiness level in TN was way better than anywhere I've lived since.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

.....and have a nice nest egg in a 401K (which I can't transfer to the UK, and may well be worthless if the pound is at $4 by the time I retire).
You can't transfer a 401k...........BUT you may be able to transfer a 40K to an IRA and then into a UK pension scheme.....check with a UK Financial Advisor if you really need it. I know it can be done but as to how I am not so sure. ...personally I am sitting on my 401K and hoping to hell that the dollar will eventually strengthen again against the pound when I turn 59 1/2 and I can withdraw it gradually.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:40 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd bring up this subject as it so often permeates a lot of the threads on here, and it has been on my mind a lot lately (as you may notice from me harping on about it in various threads).

A lot of people on here have been pretty messed up financially by their ping-ponging, usually due to (a) the money spent on emigrating and repatriating, and (b) the flickin' crazy behaviour of UK house prices while they have been away. For every person complaining about how broke it's made them, there are others who say that it's more important to be happy (i.e., in the UK) than rich.

But where do you draw the limit?

For those who don't know me, look at my list of locations at left, and be aware that I came back (again!) in July of last year. I have recently been doing the calculations and it's really depressing me just how much poorly off I am than when I was in the States. For example:

First off, understand that I've always been financially very responsible - no rooms full of toys (except my bicycles, which I look at as health insurance), no extravagant holidays.

I spent my life savings going through grad school in the US, and started from scratch in 1996.

After just 3 and a half years teaching uni in Tennessee, I paid off my car loan, and owned a house with only about $50,000 (25,000 quid) left on the mortgage, which I would have (EASILY) paid off within just a few years. I always had plenty of spare cash for little holidays, etc., and my employer had great benefits package so no health or insurance worries.

When I returned to the UK in 2000, after spending about 6,000 quid on the move (including 3,000 on the dog's quarantine), I lost almost all of my savings (about 10,000 quid), by putting it in the UK stock market for "safekeeping" (dumb, dumb, dumb). Two of the funds went broke and the fund managers are going through legal proceedings, and I have about 1,800 quid left after the others have made a weak recovery.

After 5 and half years in North Carolina, I again owned a house with only about $80,000 (40,000 quid) left on the mortgage and a healthy enough savings history that it would have been paid off within less than 5 years. Again, plenty of spare left every month to save and go on cheap holidays.

Now, here I find myself back in the UK, just 15 years from retirement with a 25-year 150,000 pound mortgage around my neck (to buy a 3-bed ex-council house), I had to cash in half my US savings at a stupid exchange rate for the deposit and the rest is sitting in a non-interest-bearing dollar account because I just can't bring myself to exchange it at today's rates. Moving back has cost me about 8,000 quid (again, about $3,000 on the dog, gotta love her).

My monthly mortgage and bills amount to over 80% of my take-home pay (again, I don't buy toys, clothes, holidays - this is just basic bills, mostly the mortgage). I'll retire 10 years before the mortgage end period and I can't see myself even being able to keep this house after I retire. I'll probably have to sell and downsize. I can't help but be really, really pissed off at what has happened in the UK housing market in the past 5-8 years as it has completely changed my financial situation.

The plus side is that I get to walk out of my front door and am on hillside walks within minutes. So, great free hiking opportunities on the doorstep - but is this enough to keep me going until (and past) retirement?

If I could click my fingers and be back in Tennessee, I'd do it in a moment. Am I crazy?
Not Crazy nope , just the way life is sometimes ,unfortunate victim of itchy feet ..
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm really gonna embarass myself here, as not many people are aware of our story, but I'm so sick of people saying that money isn't important and at least family and health are better. So here goes.

Ok, when we had to return unexpectedly from Aus back to the UK, we had nothing ! We came back with around £150 (our last bit of wages). We had no furniture, no money, no jobs and no home. All we had were clothes and a few of the childrens' (x 3) Toys.

We had no choice but to go to the Local Authority for help with housing on our return and waited and waited in a Run down, filthy, drug haven of a Bed & Breakfast for nearly a year, awaiting a property. We couldn't find jobs, as employers automatically took it as a bad thing, when we said we were in a B & B through our Council. We had to claim the dreaded benefits, and to be honest I don't know how people stay that way. It took the majority of our time filling in forms, re-filling them as they were continually mislaid by members of staff and different centres etc. Making never ending phone calls to people for proof of us and our children, then going back and forth a billion times to take this proof to the necessary people. Anyway, being on benefits is a full time job in my opinion, unless it's sickness or disability. It's not what we wanted but had no choice in our situation. We couldn't privately rent, because a)we had been out of the country and had no previous fixed abode for x amount of years whilst away, b)had no MONEY for a deposit, c)had 3 children (which estate agens don't seem to like these days). We struggled daily as coping with the whole benefits system played havoc with mine and my husbands health, to the extent that he thought he was having a breakdown. It was very costly too, transport to the local offices every few days, constant phone calls, photocopying etc, I can now see why people on benefits drink so much Anyway, we were refused housing from Council on the basis that we had been out of the Country, no ifs, no buts, end of story. My son (8) was being bullied by another resident of 12 years old and already an alcoholic like his resident parents, and we were powerless to do anything, bar contain him in our small room. My daughter (5) had horrific nightmares of the druggies that hung out in the hallway, and my other daughter (5) started wetting the bed and having asthma attacks. They were at school all this time which was 15 miles away, again very costly, but the local school wouldn't accept them, because we weren't 'permanently' housed in the area

You know it's funny, you realise who your friends are and how 'blood' isnt thicker than water, when all around you are suddenly in a position where they cannot help. (Sorry, I know you're homeless, but we can't put you up for a few days, as we have a dinner party on Thursday !) Suddenly friends and family stop calling, so you find yourself with no-one too. Before anyone thinks, 'Oh my family wouldnt be like that', Think on ! My family would have moved the earth for me before we went to Aus.

2 days before we were being evicted from the B & B,(because we weren't ELIGIBLE for help from the Government) we finally found a landlord after a year of searching, that would accept us AND our children (warily) without a deposit, that we could pay over the next 2 months. It was our only chance. We moved in with nothing. We both found jobs pretty quickly, badly paid, but jobs nevertheless. We scrimped every penny to pay back the deposit and buy second hand furniture. nearly 4 years on and we are still in very low paid jobs, and just can't seem to progress anyway, no matter how hard we try, or how many extra little jobs we have, so no chance of ever getting on this stupid housing ladder.
Our experience is shameful and embarassing.
We sit here in a Flat, that we've tried to make the best of, with our children, and wonder what the hell happened to our happiness, wondering if our Landlord, like so many others, will want to sell the property on, so we have to move YET AGAIN.

We hate it here, our children hate it here, it's affected all our health and our lives are a misery the majority of the time, except for little things that happen now and again to brighten the mood.

Just how important is Money ????

Money is the World and the answer to everything if you have NONE.

Good Health doesn't get you a roof over your head, secure your children, protect your family, or get you out of the gutter you are in and those are the things that are most important.

I'd rather have money any day

Now I'll go back in my box, thoroughly embarassed and place my paper bag back over my head.
Mally thank you for your honest and frank post. I really feel for you. It certainly puts a different light on the whole moving back thing.

Good luck for the future. xxx
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Mally Lass

That was such an honest post.
Really feel for you all.
Never be embarassed though.
Best of luck with things improving xxx
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:42 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm really gonna embarass myself here, as not many people are aware of our story, but I'm so sick of people saying that money isn't important and at least family and health are better. So here goes.........

Mally please don't be embarrassed by your situation. You did what many people try to do and seek out a better/different life for you and your family, but like many of us it didn't work out as you expected. I think your story should really be posted on the Australia forum as a warning to others. Not to stop people going, but to let people know that they can lose everything. I honestly thought that by giving it a try, I wouldnt lose anything - totally naive I know, but I believed that if we didn't like it, we'd return and pick up where we left off

We lost our house and our savings but are not in as bad a situation as you are as we had enough money left for rental deposit and hubby had a job to come back to.

It's so heartbreaking and frustrating when you are trying to dig yourself out of a huge hole and that's why it maddens me when programmes on TV encourage people to emigrate to the sunshine. Many people simply do not realise just how much of a huge gamble it can turn out to be.

You are so right when you say that money is everything if you haven't got any.

Thank you for being so frank and honest in your post - it certainly puts things into perspective, and I truly hope that your situation improves soon
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD

It's so heartbreaking and frustrating when you are trying to dig yourself out of a huge hole and that's why it maddens me when programmes on TV encourage people to emigrate to the sunshine. Many people simply do not realise just how much of a huge gamble it can turn out to be.
I know. What a shame that the production companies don't read stuff like this.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is no need to be embarrassed...we understand and I'm sure all our hearts go out to you and your family. You left the UK to try to give your family a better life...it didn't work out so you've moved back. I so sad you are now in this position...just because you wanted a better life for your family

Although IMHO health is the most important thing...money can often help health issues in most cases. If you don't have any money life can be absolutely miserable...you are worried sick how you are going to feed the kids...heartbroken because they want new shoes and you can't afford to buy them a pair.

When people used to say 'money isn't everything' an aunt of mine used to say 'at least you can be ill in comfort'.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:48 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
I try not to think about how much we have spent or I would be depressed all the time.....between shelling out money to have DH immigrate to the US......selling houses he used to rent out over here to start up a business in the States.......having the property market over here skyrocket while we were in the States, then selling up over there, taking a huge hit transferring assets to the UK..........moving expenses, paying for me to get the proper Visas to the UK (that's a large chunk over the next few months because I got screwed and can't get Indefinate Leave to Remain until I get Further Leave to Remain for only a few months, then ILR and then a year later citizenship....then there's the fact that we bought a Post Office and may be closed down in the next year and if we aren't, we are tired of working 7 days a week to keep it going and want to move on anyway.......and we are thinking of moving on to Europe sometime in the next few years.........and oh wait........I forgot about the dog and moving her over here......and every holiday for the past 6 years has been either visiting his family here in the UK of my family in the States .......outside of a short trip over to Dublin ........I want to pull my hair out.

BUT.....we are still together despite the odds. We live in the hills of Wales so we have been lucky and not been flooded with the wonderful British weather this summer......and EVENTUALLy we will travel Europe.

After working like dogs the past year to make our business viable we are now able to take time off in small increments (a few hours here....a few hours there).........and EVENTUALLY it will stop raining for a day or two and we can work on our suntans.

Your post office wouldn't be in the Abergavenny area would it?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Your post office wouldn't be in the Abergavenny area would it?
We are maybe 30-40 minutes from Abergavenny. I wish we were there........it's a lovely little village. We visited there on Good Friday this year.

Last edited by Scout; Jul 24th 2007 at 5:27 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When people used to say 'money isn't everything' an aunt of mine used to say 'at least you can be ill in comfort'.
That is so true

Thanks for all the kind words and K sent to you

I just wanted to say that we had no choice in coming home to the UK which is why it is so much more frustrating, as were happy in Oz and didn't want to come home. It was the loving family and friends that guilt tripped us back here, then didn't want to help

Nevermind, I don't seek sympathy, just wanted to show a flipside, so people can see how it really can change your life for the worse, when you think you can just return and 'go back to normal', and that Money really is needed to support everything, even your life.

It's funny what we take for granted........until it's gone
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

That is so true

Thanks for all the kind words and K sent to you

It's funny what we take for granted........until it's gone
Mally lass
I think you are so brave.

I gave up my son and a fab job to come to Oz as my husband was unable to get a job in the Uk after being made redundant 3 years earlier.We had very little money and lost our house as we couldnt afford the repayments. I hate it here and I want to go home but I cant. I used all my savings to come here and set up home again. My marriage is in tatters and to be truthful has been for a long time. What a fool I was.

I wish you all the best and hope everything changes for the better soon.
Best to you all
Louise x
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:56 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Louise M
Mally lass
I think you are so brave.

I gave up my son and a fab job to come to Oz as my husband was unable to get a job in the Uk after being made redundant 3 years earlier.We had very little money and lost our house as we couldnt afford the repayments. I hate it here and I want to go home but I cant. I used all my savings to come here and set up home again. My marriage is in tatters and to be truthful has been for a long time. What a fool I was.

I wish you all the best and hope everything changes for the better soon.
Best to you all
Louise x
Mally's post has made me have some serious doubts now about going back to the UK. In fact, although my ticket is booked im seriously re thinking the whole game plan. Is the grass really greener?

I feel more kiwi than I do English now, and although it would be nice to be closer to family....hmm. I speak to my mum quite a bit, and I won't go into details, but I often feel depressed when I get of the phone to her. She has a wonderful knack of putting a dampener on things....

The guilt trips i've had laid on me to move back are horrendous sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.