British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Just got my perm residence.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/just-got-my-perm-residence-470446/)

copey007 Jul 31st 2007 3:39 pm

Just got my perm residence..

Hi There

I recently received my perminent residence status and card. I am looking to go back to the UK for a short family visit and wondered what to expect when coming back into the states for the first time? :unsure:

I have my card and am planning to take all my paperwork, just in case. Someonce asked me whether I got my passport stamped, just after we passed our interview. I checked and its not stamped, will this be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

:D

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2007 5:00 pm

Re: Just got my perm residence..

Originally Posted by copey007 (Post 5129664)
Hi There

I recently received my perminent residence status and card. I am looking to go back to the UK for a short family visit and wondered what to expect when coming back into the states for the first time? :unsure:

I have my card and am planning to take all my paperwork, just in case. Someonce asked me whether I got my passport stamped, just after we passed our interview. I checked and its not stamped, will this be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

:D

As long as you have your GC in your hand you're good to go. There's no need to take any paperwork with you...just the GC and your passport.

dbj1000 Jul 31st 2007 5:16 pm

Having a GC makes it way easier than, say, having an H1-B visa like I used to.

Not only do you only need your GC and passport, but in most airports you can use the immigration line for US Citizens and Permanent Residents, instead of queuing in the (often much longer) Non-US Citizens line.

Our passports are not stamped because we did not have to have an interview for our Green Cards. Googling for information on the stamp, I see that it's really just a temporary thing to show that you're a legal permanent resident while you're waiting for your actual Permanent Resident's Card. It also seems that it's always been optional whether your passport is stamped or not.

So, nothing to worry about, and no need to carry loads of paperwork (although I'm a worrier just like you, and carried copies of my paperwork the first time I came through immigration on my brand-new-two-week-old GC!).

tonrob Jul 31st 2007 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5129981)
As long as you have your GC in your hand you're good to go. There's no need to take any paperwork with you...just the GC and your passport.

Do you actually need to show your passport on re-entry to the US? I've only left the US once since getting my GC - this being a trip to Canada. On re-entry I just showed my GC (although I had my passport in my bag) and they were fine with that.

Pony Jul 31st 2007 5:25 pm

www.uscis.gov
Home > Services & Benefits > Permanent Resident (Green Card)
International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5130058)
Do you actually need to show your passport on re-entry to the US? I've only left the US once since getting my GC - this being a trip to Canada. On re-entry I just showed my GC (although I had my passport in my bag) and they were fine with that.

copey007 Jul 31st 2007 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5129981)

Thanks so much for the peace of mind, it means I can have a few glasses of vino on the plane, without fear of having to be too on the ball at the other end!

copey007 Jul 31st 2007 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 5130046)
Having a GC makes it way easier than, say, having an H1-B visa like I used to.

Not only do you only need your GC and passport, but in most airports you can use the immigration line for US Citizens and Permanent Residents, instead of queuing in the (often much longer) Non-US Citizens line.

Our passports are not stamped because we did not have to have an interview for our Green Cards. Googling for information on the stamp, I see that it's really just a temporary thing to show that you're a legal permanent resident while you're waiting for your actual Permanent Resident's Card. It also seems that it's always been optional whether your passport is stamped or not.

So, nothing to worry about, and no need to carry loads of paperwork (although I'm a worrier just like you, and carried copies of my paperwork the first time I came through immigration on my brand-new-two-week-old GC!).

Phew! You obviously understand my plight, as a fellow worrier.. I just had visions of having to go back to the UK, due to some strange rule!

Thanks for the reply, most helpful

markhawksley Jul 31st 2007 5:39 pm

I recently used my GC for the first time at Chicago O'Hare after a 3 week trip to the UK. I just handed it over, after my USC wife showed her passport which was stamped, the guy typed something, asked for my British passport, stamped it, and that was it, no questions or problems at all. You should be fine!

copey007 Jul 31st 2007 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by markhawksley (Post 5130139)
I recently used my GC for the first time at Chicago O'Hare after a 3 week trip to the UK. I just handed it over, after my USC wife showed her passport which was stamped, the guy typed something, asked for my British passport, stamped it, and that was it, no questions or problems at all. You should be fine!

My wife is a US citizen as well, however they did not stamp her passport either. Hope it'll be ok..

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 31st 2007 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by copey007 (Post 5130243)
My wife is a US citizen as well, however they did not stamp her passport either. Hope it'll be ok..

Mine is not.

Too easily forged by our friends south of the Border.