Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just for fun on a Sunday am!!

Just for fun on a Sunday am!!

Old May 18th 2003, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just for fun on a Sunday am!!

This board is getting way to serious, though sometimes we need to be serious. We are discussing the rest of our lives.

So, just for light hearted banter;

Which do you prefer, Cricket or Baseball? (Me cricket, much faster & exciting)

Jelly or Jam? ( Me Jam easier to spread. Though can't remember the last time I ate either)

Reg. Frank R. in NYC and wishing I were in FL.
Old May 18th 2003, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Baseball. Go Dbacks! Baseball is a little slower, but if you understand the tactics, its far more interesting. Plus, you never saw David Gower charging the bowler when he got hit with a bouncer! lol.

Jam. Strawberry jam on toast, yum!
Old May 18th 2003, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Cricket on the grounds that baseball is just rounders.

Neither Jelly or Jam, I am diabetic.

Cheers

Paul
Old May 18th 2003, 7:58 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Can I say all 4! I love cricket and I love baseball - my new ambition is to visit all the ballparks in the country. I have been to Fenway, Turner Field and PacBell already and am planning to do the Oriele Park and Bank One (Dbacks) this summer. What a way to see America. If you go to PacBell park make sure you have the garlic fries, no-one will snog you for the next 3 days but they are the dogs.

Football is still my favourite sport though (sorry Sokurr)

Jelly with vodka, good! Jam butties, devine.

What about fruit cake with cheese, the best thing since eggybread! (or freedom toast as it is known here).

Patrick
Old May 18th 2003, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

BritAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick

What about fruit cake with cheese, the best thing since eggybread! (or freedom toast as it is known here).

Patrick

lol, Freedom Toast...double lol at Freedom Fries!!! Anyway, this American loves Jam....loves the hotdogs at baseball games and wishes she knew more about cricket. Speaking as a mom, I'd hate to be the one to wash those white cricket uniforms...ugh!!
Old May 18th 2003, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Hi there Donna, how are you doing now ?

As for cricket, as long as you understand that it is the ancient English rain-dance then you will not go far wrong. Not only would you be expected to clean the kits, but us men would expect you ladies to provide a great tea for the interval too !

Cheers

Paul
Old May 18th 2003, 10:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just for fun on a Sunday am!!

Originally posted by frrussre
This board is getting way to serious, though sometimes we need to be serious. We are discussing the rest of our lives.

So, just for light hearted banter;

Which do you prefer, Cricket or Baseball? (Me cricket, much faster & exciting)
"Fast" and "exciting" are two of the last words that I wound consider using to describe cricket.

Watching cricket seems to be the way that old men spend time sititing around waiting to die!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 18th 2003 at 10:44 pm.
Old May 18th 2003, 10:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just for fun on a Sunday am!!

<<snip>>

Jelly or Jam? ( Me Jam easier to spread. Though can't remember the last time I ate either)

<<snip>>
It's got to be jam (the one with bits of fruit in it). Reminds me of the annual trips to Tiptree, Essex, where my family used to go to pick strawberries, bluecurrants, raspberries. Most of the fruit ended up as homemade jam!

The jam turned up in a variety of foods- jam tarts, Victoria sponge, jam roly poly. I especially liked it in hot rice pudding!

NC Penguin
Old May 18th 2003, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I annoyed my US friend the other day told him Basketball was a girls game "Netball". Baseball a girls game "Rounders". Then again I told him American Football is for sissy's, all that padding.
Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Ian Botham hitting sixes, now thats exciting. Or for those who remember, Freddy Trueman, Wes Hall. Those were the days. Cricket on the green. Finished with Jam Roly Poly & lashings of custard. Give me school lunches.
Old May 19th 2003, 2:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Ian Botham hitting sixes, now thats exciting. ......
Yes, I agree, but you can cover all the exciting bits of a four day test match in a two minute segment of the TV news.
Old May 19th 2003, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pulaski, 3 minutes at least.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 19th 2003, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Explains why they put rounders and other yank sports on Channel 5 in the middle of the night then. Cricket beats baseball/rounders hands down.
Old May 19th 2003, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

As an American, I would just like to say that I absolutely cannot understand Cricket. I have watched it at times and simply could not make heads nor tails out of what was happening. My vote goes to Cricket for the most impossible to understand game ever created. Baseball is indeed similar to Rounders, but has many rules that are different from Rounders. Softball, which is an amature version of Baseball would be closer to Rounders. Hardball, which is played by the pros is considerbly harder to learn and play. Baseball uses a smaller round bat rather than Cricket's flat sided bats. I would love to see a Cricket batsman try his luck with a baseball bat against even our worst pitchers, let alone our best. I would be willing to bet that a baseball player would fair better at Cricket than a Cricket player at Baseball.

BTW, America is not the only country that plays Baseball. I would love for anyone of you to go to Japan and ask the Japanese which game they would prefer. It'll be Baseball every time over Cricket.

One more thing: Basketball was not based on "netball", it was an original creation of James Naismith back in the late 1800's. It is called "Basketball" because they originally used wooden peach baskets for goals. The idea of hoops with nets on them didn't come along until sometime later. If there are any similarities with "netball", they are purely coincidental and unintentional
Old May 19th 2003, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Why is it that Americans have 'world champions ' in sports that only they are allowed to enter ? Yes I know the odd Canadian team plays in the MLB & NHL, but where are the Japanese let alone the Carribean sides in the world series of baseball ?
Old May 19th 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Jabba1
As an American, I would just like to say that I absolutely cannot understand Cricket. I have watched it at times and simply could not make heads nor tails out of what was happening. My vote goes to Cricket for the most impossible to understand game ever created. Baseball is indeed similar to Rounders, but has many rules that are different from Rounders. Softball, which is an amature version of Baseball would be closer to Rounders. Hardball, which is played by the pros is considerbly harder to learn and play. Baseball uses a smaller round bat rather than Cricket's flat sided bats. I would love to see a Cricket batsman try his luck with a baseball bat against even our worst pitchers, let alone our best. I would be willing to bet that a baseball player would fair better at Cricket than a Cricket player at Baseball.

One more thing: Basketball was not based on "netball", it was an original creation of James Naismith back in the late 1800's. It is called "Basketball" because they originally used wooden peach baskets for goals. The idea of hoops with nets on them didn't come along until sometime later. If there are any similarities with "netball", they are purely coincidental and unintentional

BTW, America is not the only country that plays Baseball. I would love for anyone of you to go to Japan and ask the Japanese which game they would prefer. It'll be Baseball every time over Cricket.

"John Cleese" "Whats the difference bewteen USA & UK?" When the British have a World Series, they invite the rest of the world.

6 billion people in the world, hell of a lot more people play cricket then Baseball. Hell of a lot more play English Football, then US football. Shall I go on.
Japan, we beat them in WW11, you occupied them & forced Baseball on them. Yea, they thought Baseball, must play that. UGH!

Jabba1, Baseball is definitely "Rounders", does not matter who says they invented it. Basketball is surely "Netball" the obvious similarities are all that’s needed to prove it. Some Rip off merchant Says I just invented this, does not make it true. Especially if someone else is already playing a very similar game. Longer bat, Wow dude I just invented a new game.
Baseball a game, they need special gloves to catch the ball. Take your best player to the game of Cricket. He can't catch the ball. It would hurt his handy pandy make him cry.
US football, back in the 60's a US player went to UK to play Rugby, he cried & ran away. “What no helmet no padding�. Rugby player came to US, had no problem making the switch, why would they. US Football was invented "Based on Rugby" because you were lousy at English football (Soccer). So you started your own game & called it Football. I wonder why. You wanted the World to think you where great at Football. Shame not the same game.
Of course a top cricket player could hit the baseball for six. I hit 14 out of sixteen balls in a high-speed batting cage. I had not played cricket in 30 years. Plus any Baseball/Basketball/ Football player can only play for 5 minutes, then needs a rest. TIME OUT. They can't run for 90 minutes.

The BABE, now there’s an example, the greatest baseball player of all time. Any other sport or game, he looked more suited to a beer drinking competition.
Reg. Frank R.
Still as I said let’s keep it light hearted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.