Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just found out pregnant (yay) but need advice on US laws

Just found out pregnant (yay) but need advice on US laws

Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just found out pregnant (yay) but need advice on US laws

Originally Posted by N1cky
Have you thought about who is going to look after the baby when you return to work? My daughter went to nursery from 4 months old in the UK, however, I have never seen a nursery in my time in California and everyone I know who has babies or young children employs a nanny.
I think that may be because of where you live. Everyone here has children in daycare, or some may have a private caretaker a couple of days a week with a relative filling in the other couple of days. Nannies are for the rich.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:15 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Where we are the nurseries take babies from 6 weeks
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
even sooner around here for some people...sad ain't it...
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

From 4 weeks up here..... I was shocked. I can't imagine leaving a newborn in the care of a stranger for 8+ hours....
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
From 4 weeks up here..... I was shocked. I can't imagine leaving a newborn in the care of a stranger for 8+ hours....
The missus knew someone who had to after 10 days because they couldn't afford to take the time off as it was unpaid.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:46 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I think that may be because of where you live. Everyone here has children in daycare, or some may have a private caretaker a couple of days a week with a relative filling in the other couple of days. Nannies are for the rich.
Thats good then. Just thought I would mention it as it was something I had noticed around here.

I always liked my daughter going to nursery and mixing with other kids rather than having a nanny, so it had caught my attention.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Thats good then. Just thought I would mention it as it was something I had noticed around here.

I always liked my daughter going to nursery and mixing with other kids rather than having a nanny, so it had caught my attention.
I know that when my friend lived in Boston, it would have cost her a fortune to have her little ones at a daycare and many employed au pairs as a result. (It was actually cheaper!) This is part of why they moved back to Ohio. They won't stay for good, but cost wise it's much easier for both parents to work and for the kids to be in daycare here.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I know that when my friend lived in Boston, it would have cost her a fortune to have her little ones at a daycare and many employed au pairs as a result. (It was actually cheaper!) This is part of why they moved back to Ohio. They won't stay for good, but cost wise it's much easier for both parents to work and for the kids to be in daycare here.
aye, tell me about it, day care is around $1300 for 3 days a week down here...mental.