Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just curious - do you use a landscaper for your garden?

Just curious - do you use a landscaper for your garden?

Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just curious - do you use a landscaper for your garden?

We cut our own grass, the best thing we ever did was buy an industrial zero turn mower, they are not cheap but worth every penny. A couple of my neighbours have done the same after seeing how quickly ours did the job.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:22 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Everyone in the neighborhood in Los Angeles, and most people where I am in the Bay Area have men who came once a week, I wouldn't call them gardeners just mow and blow men. They don't do anything like dead heading unless you ask them to, and then they do a crap job.

If we ever buy out here I'll do it myself
Same in NYC. We watch the team of landscapers come every Monday and blow dust around my landlords yard and trample his plants.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
We have just over 3/4 of an acre. I have a riding mower and I'm the one that does it. Since we don't water the lawn AND have many trees, the lawn doesn't grow too fast except in one spot on one side where it fronts the street, I have a bunch of yard work, trimming etc that needs to be done, but don't have the time to do it nor the inclination in this heat, and certainly don't have the money to hire anyone else. One of these days.......
Unless you really physically couldn't do it I think you, like me, would still do it ourselves even if we could afford to pay someone else. Right?

I get a lot of enjoyment and also burn off some frustrations when I work in the yard. I moan about the heat but I love to see the end product and M and his riding mower and joined at the hip so at least I knoe the grass is always being cut.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby does it...we bought a sit down mower when we moved into this house 13 years ago and it's paid for itself many times over. We have around 3 acres...half of which is woodland. I think we are the only household for miles around who doesn't use landscapers.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think we are the only household for miles around who doesn't use landscapers.
And thus yours is probably the only house without a burned-out lawn in August. These darn yard guys mow the heck out of the lawns, cutting them way too low, regardless of the weather and whether they need it or not!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And thus yours is probably the only house without a burned-out lawn in August. These darn yard guys mow the heck out of the lawns, cutting them way too low, regardless of the weather and whether they need it or not!
The folks that used to live up the road from my Mom were VERY house and lawn proud. Still, the wife would get out on the riding mower EVERY Friday to cut the grass. Considering that part of FL has had more drought years then not since my mother has lived there, I never did quite see the logic in mowing dust................

This is the same gal who would cook the vegetables in the microwave for exactly the amount of time on the box-didn't matter if they were done or not.

I think she was a bit OC.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Unless you really physically couldn't do it I think you, like me, would still do it ourselves even if we could afford to pay someone else. Right?

I get a lot of enjoyment and also burn off some frustrations when I work in the yard. I moan about the heat but I love to see the end product and M and his riding mower and joined at the hip so at least I know the grass is always being cut.
I would probably want to do it myself, to make sure it was done "right", . The few times I had someone in about 10 years ago to just mow, I lost a gardenia bush and some other plants. Still, I would like to get a crew in to do some serious clearing and trimming since that hasn't been done for a few years-but for sure under my supervision.

I AM quite proud of my OGR rose bushes, well really just bands, that I got from Ebay a few weeks ago. I transplanted them into nice big pots, and repotted Ferd the avocado tree and they are all happy little bunnies. DH has been very good about watering them for me.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of lawns, I hadn't seen before here were the spinstripe lawns...I've seen two of them recently now in a neighbouring town
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I think that utilizing a 'Landscaper' in the proper sense of the word, to mow grass, is a bit like employing an architect to clean your windows.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I think that utilizing a 'Landscaper' in the proper sense of the word, to mow grass, is a bit like employing an architect to clean your windows.
Kicks the shite out of doing it yourself though, doesn't it
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:09 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
But it's not a 'Landscaper' that mows the grass. It's a crew of Mexicans that works for a 'Landscaper' or 'Landscaping Company' (most likely off the books).
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
But it's not a 'Landscaper' that mows the grass. It's a crew of Mexicans that works for a 'Landscaper' or 'Landscaping Company' (most likely off the books).
Most landscaping companies will do the lawn care/mowing/edging maintenance stuff so they can keep regular work going throughout the season - we will do the maintenance from April - November and it means we get a steady cash flow in between the larger installations and actual 'landscaping' work. Plus, the plant packages we do for the homebuilders are down as well (but picking up luckily) so it helps that the residential accounts are still there. That's also why we plow snow in the winter too, and have set up a nursery/landscape supply yard in our car park during the summer.

I'm glad we do it, since I bill and collect for all this stuff and I'd be out of a job otherwise . . .
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Most landscaping companies will do the lawn care/mowing/edging maintenance stuff so they can keep regular work going throughout the season - we will do the maintenance from April - November and it means we get a steady cash flow in between the larger installations and actual 'landscaping' work. Plus, the plant packages we do for the homebuilders are down as well (but picking up luckily) so it helps that the residential accounts are still there. That's also why we plow snow in the winter too, and have set up a nursery/landscape supply yard in our car park during the summer.

I'm glad we do it, since I bill and collect for all this stuff and I'd be out of a job otherwise . . .
I'm not dissing it. It is what it is.

And your point is taken, unless you are top dog in a large market, I don't see how a 'Landscaper' could make it otherwise.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:54 pm
I have a comma problem

I'm not dissing it. It is what it is.

And your point is taken, unless you are top dog in a large market, I don't see how a 'Landscaper' could make it otherwise.
It's much like the professional musician who writes jingles for commercials to keep things ticking over. Not necessarily what you want to do day in and day out, but someone else has already written and released 'Abbey Road' so you just have to make do
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's amusing how they're all Brazilians down my way

But a lot of these landscapers also offer holiday seasonal decoration services, like putting up the lights during winter, halloween and what not.

It's a good money earner for one in town as they also have a spare warehouse where they charge a monthly fee to store the out of season decorations. Last winter it was something like $1K to set up the house with winter lights and then $200 to put up and take down the lights per season, plus the monthly storage fee if you wanted them to keep the stuff.

Good side racket for the off season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.