Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just curious - do you use a landscaper for your garden?

Just curious - do you use a landscaper for your garden?

Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:32 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just curious - do you use a landscaper for your garden?

Everyone in the neighborhood in Los Angeles, and most people where I am in the Bay Area have men who came once a week, I wouldn't call them gardeners just mow and blow men. They don't do anything like dead heading unless you ask them to, and then they do a crap job.

If we ever buy out here I'll do it myself
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Popular neighbourhood opinion is that we need help!! Cheeky buggers!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
FYI the Brits use the word "garden" as we would use the word "yard".
The maintenance of the "yard" is done by the "gardener." The planning, layout and planting of the yard was by the "landscape" person.

I think there is a problem with terminology.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The maintenance of the "yard" is done by the "gardener." The planning, layout and planting of the yard was by the "landscape" person.

I think there is a problem with terminology.
Yeah, true that.

However, a lot of "landscaping" companies are now in the business of follow-up and long term yard maintenance (at least around here that is the case) so that muddies the waters further.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yeah, true that.

However, a lot of "landscaping" companies are now in the business of follow-up and long term yard maintenance (at least around here that is the case) so that muddies the waters further.
For the most part that's what we do. From time to time someone wants a bunch of new plants, or some big feature installed, but mostly it's just cutting grass, bed edging and maybe a weed and feed.

For people like me, who can't stand gardening, and aren't lucky enough to have a wife that likes it, I imagine the landscapers are invaluable
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:57 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
My in-laws have used one for a long time, not just for weeding and planting, cutting lawn etc but in winter to shovel the driveway. Is it more common in the US to use landscapers? Maybe because of the longer working hours or bigger gardens?
Yes, his name is Mr. tamms_1965.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

My in-laws have used one for a long time, not just for weeding and planting, cutting lawn etc but in winter to shovel the driveway. Is it more common in the US to use landscapers? Maybe because of the longer working hours or bigger gardens?
Yes, my husband jim......
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:21 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My in-laws have used one for a long time, not just for weeding and planting, cutting lawn etc but in winter to shovel the driveway. I
Around here the lawn care guys (that's what I think of them as, as opposed to landscapers who come in and actually design the garden) whack a plough on the front of the pickups once winter comes and start on their second job, as snow removers.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Everyone in the neighborhood in Los Angeles, and most people where I am in the Bay Area have men who came once a week, I wouldn't call them gardeners just mow and blow men. They don't do anything like dead heading unless you ask them to, and then they do a crap job.

If we ever buy out here I'll do it myself
When a few years ago my gf told me what she paid to have someone cut her grass (both small front and back, she does the weeding and flower beds herself) in the bay area, I found it unbelievable.

I believe she claimed she paid only $10 per visit and I believe the crew does just about every other house on the street during that day. Those Latinos sure work hard for their money.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

He he that is what my hubby is for!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:08 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

We have almost 3 acres, all needs to be mowed except for where the house, barn, and outbuildings are. We have two riders (a zero-turn and a lawn tractor w/wagon hookup, etc.) and a push. It takes hubs 4 hours a week in the summer to mow it all and he loves every minute of it. It would take him less time but we have so many trees that he needs to navigate around.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
He he that is what my hubby is for!
..... And teenage kids
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:09 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We get garden maintenance in with the rental price and I'm glad of it. We did a tidy up once and i wouldn't fancy it again in the 90 odd degree heat! They cut the grass every week and do a few tidy up and lawn treatments a year. They also treat the fire ants and re-bark the flower beds. Everyone in our estate seems to have it done for them.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

We have just over 3/4 of an acre. I have a riding mower and I'm the one that does it. Since we don't water the lawn AND have many trees, the lawn doesn't grow too fast except in one spot on one side where it fronts the street, I have a bunch of yard work, trimming etc that needs to be done, but don't have the time to do it nor the inclination in this heat, and certainly don't have the money to hire anyone else. One of these days.......
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

We've got an acre..... our lawn guy comes every 2 weeks.
He and his Mexican assistant mow, trim, and blow.
We trim our own hedges.
We'd be lost without them.
We're in GA... so no snow to clear!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.