Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

just to clarify?? Resume HELP!!

just to clarify?? Resume HELP!!

Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:36 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default just to clarify?? Resume HELP!!

Im just re-writing my resume (again) as im off job hunting tomorrow

Should I list my UK qualifications - and then write that they are the equivalent of...

so i write GCSE (equivalent to high school diploma) and list subjects?

what do I put for a levels then????

and do i bother putting my open uni courses? are they really gonna care im only looking for shop work!!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just to clarify?? Resume HELP!!

Originally Posted by mellybrown

Should I list my UK qualifications - and then write that they are the equivalent of...

and do i bother putting my open uni courses? are they really gonna care im only looking for shop work!!
I don't know how similar the resume standard is between Canada and the US but there is a terrific page in the wiki about Canadian Resumes where you might find some tips.

I'm sure there are others out there who can give you some first hand tips ..... come on you lot help the lady out.
Sue
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I don't know how similar the resume standard is between Canada and the US but there is a terrific page in the wiki about Canadian Resumes where you might find some tips.

I'm sure there are others out there who can give you some first hand tips ..... come on you lot help the lady out.
Sue
In general I'd say that the Canadian Resume page is very helpful and would work in the US. However, I would write "GCSE (equivalent to high school diploma)" or similar, as OP suggests. But, don't bother to list subjects. The Canadian Resume page suggests you simply write "High School Diploma [date]" but since British folk don't have HS Diplomas, that is simply not accurate.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown

I would lump to GCSEs and A Levels together and name the subjects. Then, write "equivalent to US high school graduation" in similar language in brackets to make it simpler for any Yank perusing the resume.

If the OU courses resulted in you graduating in something, then include them. If not, it's probably best not to bother unless any subjects are directly related to any specific job you may apply for.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:47 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I would lump to GCSEs and A Levels together and name the subjects. Then, write "equivalent to US high school graduation" in similar language in brackets to make it simpler for any Yank perusing the resume.
Hmm... except last time I talked to a credential evaluator, he said that A Levels were more like an associate's degree (IIRC). Of course, this was some years ago and I took my A levels many, many years ago...
Old Aug 14th 2008, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Hmm... except last time I talked to a credential evaluator, he said that A Levels were more like an associate's degree (IIRC). Of course, this was some years ago and I took my A levels many, many years ago...
That's actually fairly accurate.

For the OP, I would try and speak to a recruiter and ask them how to present themselves.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:26 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I would try to avoid the word "equivalency" because in the US 'high school equivalency' generally means the GED test people take if they dropped out of high school or never finished and later went back to catch up. It's just in some circles it is a loaded word so when someone sees 'equivalent' or something like that they think 'ok, why did this person drop out of high school. Prison, single mother, troublemaker?' (note: I've hired GED people and they worked out fine--more dedicated than HS diploma folks--but there are these sorts of question you do find yourself asking).

You could say "GCSE / UK 'high school' diploma" with the quotes indicating it's basically the same though not exactly called that.

Just a thought.