Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just came back from LA, and not too impressed to be honest

Just came back from LA, and not too impressed to be honest

Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:39 pm
Banned

Hugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really nice
Default Re: Just came back from LA, and not too impressed to be honest

Originally Posted by Sally
Name a pier that isn't crap.
Colwyn Bay. When your 5 years old.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:42 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

The OP made some valid points about the homeless, urban sprawl, house prices and the attitude of many Angelinos. There are plenty of nice places in and around LA, it depends what you are looking for. A little hard to sum it up in a day or two. I've always considered the Cock & Bull a bit of a rough dive pub, he described it as nice............ each to their own I suppose.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hugh Handbag
Well the wife always wanted to go to LA during the Oscars so we took a few days off and headed down there, and too be honest I was notthat impressed, don't get me wrong it was OK but I was expecting it to be better.

We stayed in Marina Del Rey and the International hotel, we arrived at 1am after finding out that the Enterprise Car Rental company at LAX closes at 10pm after we booked a car through them. Closing at 10pm in LA???!!!! That meant we had to get a taxi to the hotel, lucky it was close! So we got the hotel, and went to our room, opened the door and turned right around as it was a smoking room with single beds, back the desk, new room card off to the new room opened the door and switched the lights on to hear screaming comming from the room, some poor couple were already in the room and enjoying a nice sleep until we come charging in. After making our excuses and leaving finally get an upgrade and can bed down for the night!

What did we do, went to NBC studio (dissapointing), Universal (dissapointing), Venice beach (some weired people there, but great vegan food stand), Redondo Beach (OK), Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive and Santa Monica (nice high street but pier was crap) and the place is full of bums all over the place I could'nt get over it, took a drive along the PCH which I really enjoyed and stopped a few places along there to get out and have a walk around, some great vewis of the coast and downtown LA, had some good food there and found a nice British Pub in Santa Monica called the Cock and Bull which did a great fish and chips and the place was just full of British people which was really strange to hear the accents and watch football on TV.

Why did'nt I think LA was so great? Too spread out, maybe I was expecting too much, I can't really put my finger on it. But I am glad I went but doubt if I will ever pay to go there again and would never like to live there, maybe up the coast from LA, but I doubt it. Plus I got the Sunday paper and the house prices are mental!
Nothing like travelling!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally
Name a pier that isn't crap.
blackpool's grade II listed north pier....it's still good fun

http://www.theheritagetrail.co.uk/pi...rth%20pier.htm
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:51 pm
Banned

Hugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really nice

Originally Posted by USBound
it sounds like the OP visited about 1% of LA before giving their opinion.... from the text you visited Marina Del Ray, Hollywood & Santa Monica with a trip up towards malibu... hmm...
True I did not see every nook and cranny of LA but who has, I had lived in Liverpool for 32 years and did not see everything but saw enough to want to get out.

I thought me and the wife saw quite a bit in the time we had, I did like some things about LA:

1. No Smoking, anywhere!
2. Excellent vegaterian and vegan choices.
3. Weather was nice, 65F beats 15F and snowing any day of the week.
4. Close proximety to the sea which I do miss.
5. Tonnes of dogs being walked by healthy owners.

BUt still a dissapointment, I guess I was expecting more glitz and glamor and suppose I had built up my hopes too high. On the plus side I did give my wife her first "Cleveland Steamer" which was kind of fun.

Well I don't mean to offend anyone with my veiws of LA if you live there and like it great, I was dissapointed. I have visited several large cities in the US, Chicago, New York, Boston, Cleveland, Seattle and Miami and LA comes right at the bottom of that pile to be honest.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:55 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

True I did not see every nook and cranny of LA but who has, I had lived in Liverpool for 32 years and did not see everything but saw enough to want to get out.

I thought me and the wife saw quite a bit in the time we had, I did like some things about LA:

1. No Smoking, anywhere!

BUt still a dissapointment, I guess I was expecting more glitz and glamor and suppose I had built up my hopes too high. On the plus side I did give my wife her first "Cleveland Steamer" which was kind of fun.

Well I don't mean to offend anyone with my veiws of LA if you live there and like it great, I was dissapointed. I have visited several large cities in the US, Chicago, New York, Boston, Cleveland, Seattle and Miami and LA comes right at the bottom of that pile to be honest.
Been here 20 years, sometimes I love it, like today just got in from playing football in February, drove by the beach, lovely day. Sometimes I hate it, traffic, LA attitude, overcrowding.
Where are you, in the UK or US?................................ Oh yeah and LA has got to be better than Cleveland FFS.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

1. No Smoking, anywhere!

I don't like Southern California - and I was born and raised there. Just came back from there (family stuff) a few weeks back and couldn't wait to get back from there. The weather in the evening is always nice, but its like being stuck in a dismal brown land.....
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

1. No Smoking, anywhere!

omg so she was a cleveland steamer receiver....and what did she have to say about that
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lionheart
I've always considered the Cock & Bull a bit of a rough dive pub, he described it as nice............ each to their own I suppose.
Rough dive? I did'nt get that impression, a bit open and empty and not too much decoration on the walls apart from a few odd mirrors but I did'nt see any bother in there.

They did'nt even take credit cards, how f**in' British is that!

There was an authentic diner in Maria Del Rey we visited also which was nice for breakfast, I forget the name now. Can any Angleinos help me out here?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:00 pm
Banned

Where are you, in the UK or US?................................ Oh yeah and LA has got to be better than Cleveland FFS.
I live in Chicago after living in Ohio and Indiana. I have always had a great time in Cleveland to be honest, sorry!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TruBrit
blackpool's grade II listed north pier....it's still good fun

http://www.theheritagetrail.co.uk/pi...rth%20pier.htm
Santa Monica pier is nice if you have kids;

http://www.santamonica.com/index.php...ions_pier.html

It has a 100 year old carousel that you can ride for a lousy $1, featured in the movie 'The Sting', a few bars and restuarants including Bubba Gump and a Mexican restaurant. There's an Aquarium, video game amusement arcade and Pacific Park amusement park with a roller coaster and numerous fair stalls. You can fish off the pier, although the bay contains the country's highest levels of DDT. Underneath the pier is a bike path where you can rollerblade or bike, and in the summer there are very busy volleyball areas....................... . Not exactly a cultural Mecca, but it's a beach pier?!?!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:07 pm
Banned

Rough dive? I did'nt get that impression, a bit open and empty and not too much decoration on the walls apart from a few odd mirrors but I did'nt see any bother in there.?
We call it the Coke & Bull due to the druggy Brit, football shirt crowd that goes there. Took my wife there in 1990 for the World Cup and almost got hit by a bottle thrown by some English guy at the Scottish supporters.

There was an authentic diner in Maria Del Rey we visited also which was nice for breakfast, I forget the name now. Can any Angleinos help me out here?
Norms? Denny's?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:16 pm
Banned

We call it the Coke & Bull due to the druggy Brit, football shirt crowd that goes there. Took my wife there in 1990 for the World Cup and almost got hit by a bottle thrown by some English guy at the Scottish supporters.

Norms? Denny's?
No, it was not a chain like Denny's and the Norms does not ring a bell, it has red decor inside and is like a roadside diner, directly accross the road from the international hotel in the marina?

1990, that was 17 years ago, do you think it may have changed since then? There was only about 20 or so people in there when we went on a Thursday night, we did'nt stay too long, just a couple of over priced pints and a half order of fish and chips then out the door.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Venice Beach just because it is full of cool weirdos.

Walking from Marina Del Rey into Santa Monica is an excellent source of amusement in my opinion
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:20 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I love Venice Beach just because it is full of cool weirdos.

Walking from Marina Del Rey into Santa Monica is an excellent source of amusement in my opinion
The one and only time I went to Venice Beach, my first impression was how many cops were hanging around. I guess that's a good thing.

You didn't happen to see a rollerblading Ratsafarian did you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.