Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just came back from LA, and not too impressed to be honest

Just came back from LA, and not too impressed to be honest

Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:42 pm
Banned

Hugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really niceHugh Handbag is just really nice
Default Just came back from LA, and not too impressed to be honest

Well the wife always wanted to go to LA during the Oscars so we took a few days off and headed down there, and too be honest I was notthat impressed, don't get me wrong it was OK but I was expecting it to be better.

We stayed in Marina Del Rey and the International hotel, we arrived at 1am after finding out that the Enterprise Car Rental company at LAX closes at 10pm after we booked a car through them. Closing at 10pm in LA???!!!! That meant we had to get a taxi to the hotel, lucky it was close! So we got the hotel, and went to our room, opened the door and turned right around as it was a smoking room with single beds, back the desk, new room card off to the new room opened the door and switched the lights on to hear screaming comming from the room, some poor couple were already in the room and enjoying a nice sleep until we come charging in. After making our excuses and leaving finally get an upgrade and can bed down for the night!

What did we do, went to NBC studio (dissapointing), Universal (dissapointing), Venice beach (some weired people there, but great vegan food stand), Redondo Beach (OK), Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive and Santa Monica (nice high street but pier was crap) and the place is full of bums all over the place I could'nt get over it, took a drive along the PCH which I really enjoyed and stopped a few places along there to get out and have a walk around, some great vewis of the coast and downtown LA, had some good food there and found a nice British Pub in Santa Monica called the Cock and Bull which did a great fish and chips and the place was just full of British people which was really strange to hear the accents and watch football on TV.

Why did'nt I think LA was so great? Too spread out, maybe I was expecting too much, I can't really put my finger on it. But I am glad I went but doubt if I will ever pay to go there again and would never like to live there, maybe up the coast from LA, but I doubt it. Plus I got the Sunday paper and the house prices are mental!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:06 pm
Religious experience

Je Crois is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just came back from LA, and not too impressed to be honest

LOL

I think LA disappoints everyone. It is built up by Hollywood to be so exciting.

It is just a prairie town. It is very dry, no grass, hills with scrub trees.

It is not very hospitable. I went there on business several times and wouldn't ever go back for a vacation there. Although I'm glad I saw it..
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:15 pm

Esquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hugh Handbag
Well the wife always wanted to go to LA during the Oscars so we took a few days off and headed down there, and too be honest I was notthat impressed, don't get me wrong it was OK but I was expecting it to be better.

We stayed in Marina Del Rey and the International hotel, we arrived at 1am after finding out that the Enterprise Car Rental company at LAX closes at 10pm after we booked a car through them. Closing at 10pm in LA???!!!! That meant we had to get a taxi to the hotel, lucky it was close! So we got the hotel, and went to our room, opened the door and turned right around as it was a smoking room with single beds, back the desk, new room card off to the new room opened the door and switched the lights on to hear screaming comming from the room, some poor couple were already in the room and enjoying a nice sleep until we come charging in. After making our excuses and leaving finally get an upgrade and can bed down for the night!

What did we do, went to NBC studio (dissapointing), Universal (dissapointing), Venice beach (some weired people there, but great vegan food stand), Redondo Beach (OK), Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive and Santa Monica (nice high street but pier was crap) and the place is full of bums all over the place I could'nt get over it, took a drive along the PCH which I really enjoyed and stopped a few places along there to get out and have a walk around, some great vewis of the coast and downtown LA, had some good food there and found a nice British Pub in Santa Monica called the Cock and Bull which did a great fish and chips and the place was just full of British people which was really strange to hear the accents and watch football on TV.

Why did'nt I think LA was so great? Too spread out, maybe I was expecting too much, I can't really put my finger on it. But I am glad I went but doubt if I will ever pay to go there again and would never like to live there, maybe up the coast from LA, but I doubt it. Plus I got the Sunday paper and the house prices are mental!
and you opinion counts for .......? this is not the travel show Judith Charmers
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:35 pm
Religious experience

He was just sharing his perceptions to save everyone some money if they considered going there.

That was nice of him.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:37 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esquimaux
As much as anyone else's

I hate LA too
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:38 pm

Esquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Je Crois
He was just sharing his perceptions to save everyone some money if they considered going there.

That was nice of him.
its was wonderful..... Im sorry
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:42 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

I liked hearing his point of view about LA.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
As much as anyone else's

I hate LA too
I hate you
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:50 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I hate you
Let me just go put my head in the oven, for my life is no longer worth living.

Oh, and it's Chalmers

Last edited by Wintersong; Mar 4th 2007 at 4:50 pm. Reason: none
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:52 pm

Let me just go put my head in the oven, for my life is no longer worth living.

Oh, and it's Chalmers
coming up at Easter I think ...start your hydration programme now (little one looks gorgeous btw)
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:55 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

coming up at Easter I think ...start your hydration programme now (little one looks gorgeous btw)
Cool! Maybe this time you all can come to ours

Getting the thread back OT... LA still sucks.

(Thanks btw )
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:22 pm

Cool! Maybe this time you all can come to ours

Getting the thread back OT... LA still sucks.

(Thanks btw )
I find you attractive cos you are so mean
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

it sounds like the OP visited about 1% of LA before giving their opinion.... from the text you visited Marina Del Ray, Hollywood & Santa Monica with a trip up towards malibu... hmm...
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:55 pm
Religious experience

You know the funny thing?

I was at a seminar in LA with some Texans and we started a conversation about the locals. One woman said it was so strange, when she was walking by someone on the street and started to say hi to them, they looked at her like she was from outer space.

LOL

People in LA don't talk to strangers. If a stranger talks to you, he's getting ready to mug you.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Name a pier that isn't crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.