Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just beginning - wish me luck

Wikiposts

Just beginning - wish me luck

Old Aug 20th 2006, 5:00 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just beginning - wish me luck

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can't help it...just who I am...I love my dogs. I know some people who aren't dog lovers don't understand...but there are many who will.
I understand. We brought our dog with us and he has kept me sane. We have met most of our new friends because of the dog. A few weeks ago he was diagnosed with a heart murmur...he's only three. I was devastated. We took him to Ohio State Vet. Hospital for a cardiac ultrasound and he is actually OK. It is very mild and won't affect his life. I cannot tell you how relieved I am. Sorry to go off topic.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 5:09 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help it...just who I am...I love my dogs. I know some people who aren't dog lovers don't understand...but there are many who will.

Totally understand, we have a 1 year old black lab (see avatar) who we got in US, I can't imagine not being with her, she is such a sweetheart. I went through alot of turmoil when we got her, about what might happen if we went back to UK, but decided that I would worry about that at the time, will do whatever is necessary, and if its to much then will just have to stay in US.

Anyway I thought the quarantine laws had changed, thought they could have house quarantine, as long as they are current on all shots etc etc.
Attached Thumbnails Just beginning - wish me luck-img_1862-1.jpg  
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:07 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngusMcdangle
Hi everyone, I have had the misfortune of falling in love with a girl (USC - Chicago area), and am about to start the long long road to move over there with her. I am meeting a US Attorney in London on Tuesday to discuss. I am already getting grief from my family, I have the heartbreak of leaving two children behind too - my head feels like its going to explode already. I will try and keep you all informed of my progress.

I am a Gas Service/Breakdown engineer and will be looking for employment in that field once over - I have written to NIPSCO but received no reply. Any expats out there who have done the same? Did your CORGI or OFTEC mean anything in the US?

TIA, Angus
Good luck with that. Some tough decisions. Everyone leaves someone or something behind. Some more than others. Just make sure you know what you want, because you're probably looking at a marriage and much time out of work to see your plans through. Not easy.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:34 am
Just Joined

AngusMcdangle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You cannot move to the US to be with your US girlfriend until:
1) you are legally divorced from your wife in the UK and
2) you have a US visa

There's a FAQ at the top of this forum that explains the legal routes to the US.

Also, have you and your US girlfriend considered her moving to the UK, perhaps if she doesn't have kids herself?

NC Penguin
I am divorcing at the moment, and my attorney will be going down the K1 route.
Unfortunately my fiancee does have children, and I mean unfortunately from the point of view that her ex would stop her moving to another state let alone another country.

Angus
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
You don't seem that bothered
I was EXTREMELY bothered at the time, but as they say, time is a great healer, and we must move on. As my mate said, I must play the hand I've been dealt, that's all I'm trying to do. I'm not a very young person (well, 36yo), and life is short.

Angus
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
OP said he had the misfortune to meet a girl from the USA. surely he mean't fortune
He probably did mean misfortune because of all the difficulties of moving here maybe?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my dog 3 months ago but i know what you mean. I almost didnt want to take my trip home in 2 weeks because of putting him in kennels because i know he would hate it. Luckily we found a woman that does 'day care' for dogs and lets them live like they do in your own house (if they are spoilt like mine that is!) ie on the furniture, beds etc and doesnt lock them in cages.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

I sent you a pm.....
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:07 am
Just Joined

The 'misfortune' means that she damn lives 5000 miles away, not 'just up the street'. And I have known this woman on and off for around 20 years, went our seperate ways as we were too young and skint, but have wound up together again 20 years on. As others have said, 'why not just find an English girl', I guess I just didn't - I never knew it would turn into this, but it has.

With regard to my children, I knew this would raise passionate views, and it will be the hardest thing I will ever do (if it does happen), but what am I supposed to do - be a real Dad? That chance was taken away from me by the pro-mother courts here in the UK. I am a very good Dad, still providing for them, and I will get to see them all summer every summer (my fiancee is a teacher who gets summers off) which has been agreed by their mum already. I'm not saying I'm doing the right thing or the wrong thing, I'm just 'playing the hand I've been dealt' - sorry if you don't agree, but life isn't that simple is it? A few years ago I could never leave my kids, but they left me, and I guess being without them for 6/7ths of the year has already broken my heart and it is time to move on.

This isn't something I'm taking on lightly, hence trying to get as much advice as I can from all places. This seemed a genuinely good forum which I've been reading for some time.

Oh, and my loins aren't doing the talking, I'm passed all that.

Angus.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Not at 36 they ain't .... you got a good 25 years yet ....
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The 'misfortune' means that she damn lives 5000 miles away, not 'just up the street'. And I have known this woman on and off for around 20 years, went our seperate ways as we were too young and skint, but have wound up together again 20 years on. As others have said, 'why not just find an English girl', I guess I just didn't - I never knew it would turn into this, but it has.

With regard to my children, I knew this would raise passionate views, and it will be the hardest thing I will ever do (if it does happen), but what am I supposed to do - be a real Dad? That chance was taken away from me by the pro-mother courts here in the UK. I am a very good Dad, still providing for them, and I will get to see them all summer every summer (my fiancee is a teacher who gets summers off) which has been agreed by their mum already. I'm not saying I'm doing the right thing or the wrong thing, I'm just 'playing the hand I've been dealt' - sorry if you don't agree, but life isn't that simple is it? A few years ago I could never leave my kids, but they left me, and I guess being without them for 6/7ths of the year has already broken my heart and it is time to move on.

This isn't something I'm taking on lightly, hence trying to get as much advice as I can from all places. This seemed a genuinely good forum which I've been reading for some time.

Angus.
I think the road ahead of you is probably going to be much more difficult than you imagine...it cannot be easy for any parent to leave their children and move to another country. Fortunately I cannot speak from experience but their are some that can.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your kind word about my dogs. I see there is a lot of interest on this subject so rather that hijack this thread I'll start me own.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Not at 36 they ain't .... you got a good 25 years yet ....
Well, quite! What I meant was she could be a double-bagger from under a bridge, I have got passed looks and just love the person. Just so happens she is a stunner though!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I think the road ahead of you is probably going to be much more difficult than you imagine...it cannot be easy for any parent to leave their children and move to another country. Fortunately I cannot speak from experience but their are some that can.
Even though my Daughters are now grown, believe me it eats at you not being in there lives more so to speak we are going home next year and the biggest reason for doing that is them.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by britvic
Even though my Daughters are now grown, believe me it eats at you not being in there lives more so to speak we are going home next year and the biggest reason for doing that is them.
I too could be faced with that dilemma....our daughter grew up her....if we go home she will most likely want to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.