Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just been in an car wreck...any advice?

Just been in an car wreck...any advice?

Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just been in an car wreck...any advice?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No, still true unless the police filed a report with DPS. And in general, they don't. You need a "brown form."

I feel for you Lisa - I've been through this with both uninsured and insured drivers.

rule 1: do not settle any time soon. do not waive your rights to anything.
rule 2: if the other party is uninsured, you need to check your own uninsured motorist coverage and its deductible. your company will be more interested in subrogation (trying to go after the responsible party and any possible insurance) than in helping you, so you will have to be very proactive and firm when dealing with them.
rule 3: never say that you or any occupants are physically "fine" - the after-effects can show up later, and refusing to make this statement will keep the insurance company sweating.
rule 4: double-check all work done on your vehicle - insure that they use genuine parts, do not cut corners, do not repair when you think something needs replacing.
Insist on a run-down of what has been inspected and found okay, what has been repaired, and what has been replaced - and what replacement parts were used.

I feel for you - I am STILL cleaning up the bills and hassle after my own wreck in mid-March. The front bumper just spontaneously popped away from the frame meaning I have to go revisit the body shop.
One other thing on the the repairs, do not sign anything when you take the car back that says it is OK and properly fixed. You need to drive and live with it for a month before you know whether it is truly fixed. Add a clause that will allow you to come back to the repairer for 1 month after you have taken it back for any running repairs.

- Tim
Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Sorry to hear that, Lisa. Definitely get medically checked out. Keep records. Talk only to YOUR insurance company. If the other driver contacts you, don't say a word.
Originally Posted by Englishtart
Yes, as has already been said, DO NOT talk to the other drivers ins' agent (if he has one) Hope you are all ok
Having gone through this recently, and not even reading any further than the front page, I give this advice as well.

Lisa, the other representative in my case tried to get me to meet in person anywhere and everywhere. Proceed with caution.
I have a long time personal relationship with my agent; he was helpful in getting my head straight in order to communicate with the at fault insurance co.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for all the advice.
If the car can be repaired then the repairs will be gauranteed for as long as I own the car.
I also have coverage incase he is uninsured...which is a relief.
Will let you know how things progress incase it can help others.
Thanks again
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
If the car can be repaired then the repairs will be gauranteed for as long as I own the car.
Thanks again
Sounds good
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:17 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Thanks again
Glad to hear that, Lisa. Out of curiosity, who is your insurer? Sounds like a good one.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Glad to hear that, Lisa. Out of curiosity, who is your insurer? Sounds like a good one.
Allstate. I know there's been a few bad stories about them but we've had a few house and car claims and never had a problem....so far!!