British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Just been in an car wreck...any advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/just-been-car-wreck-any-advice-681648/)

lisa67 Aug 18th 2010 12:53 am

Just been in an car wreck...any advice?

So, some moron managed to skid into me this evening as I was on my way home. He doesn't have any license and appears not to have valid insurance (although he says he does and we're following it up)
Called the police who have made a report and given him a citation for not having a license and for causing an rta.
I'm about to head to the hospital to get checked out as my blood pressure went through the roof and I have a headache. So there will be a medical report.
I also have a name and number of a guy who witnessed it all.
So....anything else I should be doing???:confused:

avanutria Aug 18th 2010 1:01 am

Re: Just been in an car wreck...any advice?

Take lots of pictures of any damage to the car and any injuries that you have. Take pictures of the scene if there's anything to see - skid marks etc. Get copies of police and hospital reports.

I've never had to take anyone to court for damages or anything but those are the things that the judges always want to see on TV.

dbj1000 Aug 18th 2010 1:20 am

I'm so sorry to hear that Lisa!

We've not been through the no license/insurance situation. Having said that, when Ali and the girls were rear-ended by a truck a few years back we needed to keep copies of all medical receipts and reports, along with the police report. Nothing else that I can think of.

Be aware that Ali's whiplash wasn't too bad the next day, but was it its worst about three days after the accident.

Also, if he does turn out to be insured do NOT talk to the other insurance company directly. We did talk to the other person's insurance adjuster, and although the settlement was easy, in retrospect it's clear that we got screwed.

I hope you're not hurting too bad! Be sure to get straight back to the doctor at the first sign of anything getting any worse!

dbj1000 Aug 18th 2010 1:21 am

Did the police attend the accident?

Sally Redux Aug 18th 2010 1:26 am

I don't have any tips but I hope you feel better soon, what a horrible thing to happen.

Michael Aug 18th 2010 1:30 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8784157)
So, some moron managed to skid into me this evening as I was on my way home. He doesn't have any license and appears not to have valid insurance (although he says he does and we're following it up)
Called the police who have made a report and given him a citation for not having a license and for causing an rta.
I'm about to head to the hospital to get checked out as my blood pressure went through the roof and I have a headache. So there will be a medical report.

Normally if a person doesn't have a license, insurance companies won't insure him and he is not insured in other peoples cars.

Did the police have his car imponded due to lack of proof of insurance?

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 18th 2010 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8784199)
I don't have any tips but I hope you feel better soon, what a horrible thing to happen.

+1

When we were rear-ended, I also called our insurance company to let them know what had happened.

Sally Redux Aug 18th 2010 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8784208)
+1

When we were rear-ended, I also called our insurance company to let them know what had happened.

Good point, definitely need to do that.

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 18th 2010 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8784207)
Normally if a person doesn't have a license, insurance companies won't insure him and he is not insured in other peoples cars.

Maybe he just didn't have it on him.

N1cky Aug 18th 2010 2:04 am

Take pictures of any bruises that come up as well. Normally they come out after 2-3 days and sometimes in the strangest places.

soap addict Aug 18th 2010 2:13 am

Hi Lisa

Hope you are ok.
Not sure of this but I think I read somewhere that you have to inform the DMV if the damage is over a certain amount. Have a check on their website - might of been something I read when reading the highway code book for my test years ago and might no longer be necessary

Soap addict

Jerseygirl Aug 18th 2010 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8784210)
Maybe he just didn't have it on him.

In NJ it's a legal requirement.

Bill_S Aug 18th 2010 2:32 am

Sorry to hear that, Lisa. Definitely get medically checked out. Keep records. Talk only to YOUR insurance company. If the other driver contacts you, don't say a word.

Englishtart Aug 18th 2010 2:34 am

Yes, as has already been said, DO NOT talk to the other drivers ins' agent (if he has one) Hope you are all ok;)

Jerseygirl Aug 18th 2010 2:41 am

Lisa...thank goodness you're OK.