Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:28 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
maybe i am wrong and will find out soon i really don't see this as a big deal, i traveled 3 weeks ago and used my green card. i become a citizen and cannot get a passport in time also all of the same day passport offices are +400 miles from where i live.
Let's pretend that you aren't a dual citizen and that you only hold US citizenship. Would your employer still expect you to go on this interntional business trip knowing that you don't hold a valid passport? I would assume that they wouldn't, so why are they expecting you to go on this trip, knowing that you don't hold a valid US passport (which you'd need -- at the very least -- to reenter the US)??

Wouldn't the sensible thing to do be to skip this business trip and apply for your US passport so you can attend the next one that comes around?

~ Jenney
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

Bring your naturalization certificate. You'll probably get a slap on the wrist and let in. Please do report back.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
Bring your naturalization certificate. You'll probably get a slap on the wrist and let in. Please do report back.
I think you are probably right. However, as we all know, USCIS has many faces.....you just never know if you will meet an SS Obersturmbannfuhrer type on the way back in....
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:28 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
I think you are probably right. However, as we all know, USCIS has many faces.....you just never know if you will meet an SS Obersturmbannfuhrer type on the way back in....
At least one of them on a wanted poster...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

if it is going to be an issue i will just reenter on my uk passport

Yes, because the US Agent is going to want to see your rights to enter the US. The naturalization certificate ~might~ for the one time drive through but on the whole you really should have a US Passport to return to the US.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

mrfoxy76 will become famous soon enough

entrance into Canada was a breeze as i suspected it would be using my uk passport.

when traveling back on wed i have my uk passport, naturalization certificate, birth certificate and my completed passport application

i am going to explain the situation and see what happens i also plan on getting to the airport 3hours prior to the flight to give me time.

hopefully thursday my passport app will be in the mail! next trip not until mid jan

Last edited by mrfoxy76; Dec 14th 2009 at 1:35 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:34 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

entrance into Canada was a breeze as i suspected it would be using my uk passport.

when traveling back on wed i have my uk passport, naturalization certificate, birth certificate and my completed passport application

i am going to explain the situation and see what happens i also plan on getting to the airport 3hours prior to the flight to give me time.

hopefully thursday my passport app will be in the mail! next time not until mid jan
Good luck! Let us know how it plays out.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

mrfoxy76 will become famous soon enough

who would have thought a simple question would generate alot of interest.

i am still surprised there was no one else in this predicament...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:36 pm

hopefully thursday my passport app will be in the mail! next trip not until mid jan
Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to make statements, at least make correct ones.

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a

There are two things you are doing crossing the border....entering one country and exiting another. You have a document that may allow you to enter Canada, but not the correct one to leave the USA.
And you feel that you need a US Passport to leave the US? Wrong! Anyone can leave the US on any valid documentation they have, i.e. a valid UK Passport.

Of course, the Canadians don't have to let you in....it's not like you've got a Canadian passport. As Bob said, the document you'll be entering on is not in the 'condition' (including I-94) that those of all other UK Citizens trying to get into Canada (from the US) is in.
He does not need an I-94 to exit the US. I don't know why you and/or Bob think that is the case. My husband leaves the US with his Canadian passport and does not have an I-94. Not a problem.

By all means go for it....if we don't hear from you later in the week....well....we'll presume you've got more interesting things on your mind.
Please let's tone down the rant at Mrfoxy. It is quite unnecessary and very unwarranted. He is asking a valid question and a few posters have given him valid replies.

Many have seen fit to have a joke at his expense. This is intolerable.

Rete
SuperMod
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:39 pm

i am still surprised there was no one else in this predicament...
I think a lot of us on here are extremely cautious, when it comes to USCIS. So, most folks in your situation would probably have gotten really worried and moved heaven and earth to avoid the predicament.

As I said, a very interesting example of what happens when real life comes up against inflexible bureaucracy.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:46 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

He does not need an I-94 to exit the US. I don't know why you and/or Bob think that is the case. My husband leaves the US with his Canadian passport and does not have an I-94. Not a problem.
I'd speculate that the reason the Canadians were so interested in my I-94 (prior to my becoming an LPR) and in my GC since (I cross the border about 3 times per year) is that they indicate that my status in the US was good. After all, if I had flouted immigration laws in the US by overstaying then what's to say I wouldn't do the same in Canada?

tonrob
SuperSprout
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'd speculate that the reason the Canadians were so interested in my I-94 (prior to my becoming an LPR) and in my GC since (I cross the border about 3 times per year) is that they indicate that my status in the US was good. After all, if I had flouted immigration laws in the US by overstaying then what's to say I wouldn't do the same in Canada?

tonrob
SuperSprout
Before we became USCs the Canadian IO always asked where we lived and what our status was in the US...then asked to see our GCs. I suppose if the OP was asked a similar question he would have shown his naturalisation certificate.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to make statements, at least make correct ones.

And you feel that you need a US Passport to leave the US? Wrong! Anyone can leave the US on any valid documentation they have, i.e. a valid UK Passport.

Many have seen fit to have a joke at his expense. This is intolerable.
Nobody said you need a US passport to leave the US. USCs need a US passport to leave the US legally (i.e. it's the law). This is quite obvious, Rete, I don't know what you're beefing about.

And breaking the law is no 'joke'.

BG36
SuperNerd
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

He does not need an I-94 to exit the US. I don't know why you and/or Bob think that is the case.
Nobody said he needs an I-94. Again, you're either not reading posts properly, or reading into them something that isn't there. Bob and I were careful with how we worded our posts on this subject.

The point is that absence of an I-94 in a non-US passport of someone travelling across the border is likely to be unusual, hence possibly giving rise to questions, maybe pointing to the OP's illegal activity.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Dec 14th 2009 at 3:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.