Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:09 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
Thanks for the constructive response
So, tell us, what do you have planned next on your one man crime spree?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:15 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

Look - don't scare the guy off. I want to know what happens.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Look - don't scare the guy off. I want to know what happens.
Same here....personally I'd have shelved the trip, but I am interested to know the outcome....
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
Same here....personally I'd have shelved the trip, but I am interested to know the outcome....
Fair comment. I too am interested - assuming they have Internet access in Gitmo.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to know if there's a reason why a CDN border official wouldn't question someone with a non-US passport about what they are doing in Canadia....and what happens when a person tells them they are a USC travelling without a US passport.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the constructive response
You're welcome.

But in all seriousness - if my comment has in any way caused you to even think twice about committing a crime against the US goverernment, then it has indeed been constructive.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:28 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You're welcome.

But in all seriousness - if my comment has in any way caused you to even think twice about committing a crime against the US goverernment, then it has indeed been constructive.
Do you really intend to sound this self-righteous about this whole thing? Yes - he's making a shite decision but you're making it sound like you are taking personal offense.

He's had enough of a hard time over this so FFS just let him get on with it. There are a few of us who would like him to come back and let us know what actually happens when you try this.

committing a crime against the US goverernment
Shock, ****ing horror!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

mrfoxy76 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you're just going to do it anyway I don't understand why you asked.
my reason for asking is quite simple i was sure other people has been in this predicament and was wondering what happened.

maybe i am wrong and will find out soon i really don't see this as a big deal, i traveled 3 weeks ago and used my green card. i become a citizen and cannot get a passport in time also all of the same day passport offices are +400 miles from where i live.

time will tell and if anyone else in is in similar situation they can make a better decision once i post what happens.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

mrfoxy76 will become famous soon enough

I'm interested to know if there's a reason why a CDN border official wouldn't question someone with a non-US passport about what they are doing in Canadia....and what happens when a person tells them they are a USC travelling without a US passport.
i wasn't aware of any restrictions on uk citizens entering Canada?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

maybe i am wrong and will find out soon i really don't see this as a big deal, i traveled 3 weeks ago and used my green card.
Huge difference there though, you weren't a citizen then, now you are and thems the law.

And generally a UK citizen entering Canada from the US without a greencard would have a I-94 to show them, which you wouldn't so it could raise a flag.

There is the safe option of just not going...and you also don't say if your driving over or flying...you might not be let on the plane if you fly.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:01 am

my reason for asking is quite simple i was sure other people has been in this predicament and was wondering what happened.

maybe i am wrong and will find out soon i really don't see this as a big deal, i traveled 3 weeks ago and used my green card. i become a citizen and cannot get a passport in time also all of the same day passport offices are +400 miles from where i live.
I've been winding you up a bit here, and it's easy to say that you should have scheduled things better, but you do make a fair point, about what happens when real life comes up against inflexible bureaucracy.
time will tell and if anyone else in is in similar situation they can make a better decision once i post what happens.
You're right and, though I still think you're making a bad call, your report will, at least, be instructive to others.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

a) i really don't see this as a big deal

b) i traveled 3 weeks ago and used my green card.
a) I refer you to my first post to this thread.

b) 3 weeks ago, you weren't a US Citizen, and held the correct document to enter the US.

i wasn't aware of any restrictions on uk citizens entering Canada?
There are two things you are doing crossing the border....entering one country and exiting another. You have a document that may allow you to enter Canada, but not the correct one to leave the USA. Of course, the Canadians don't have to let you in....it's not like you've got a Canadian passport. As Bob said, the document you'll be entering on is not in the 'condition' (including I-94) that those of all other UK Citizens trying to get into Canada (from the US) is in.

By all means go for it....if we don't hear from you later in the week....well....we'll presume you've got more interesting things on your mind.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Dec 14th 2009 at 1:48 am.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonrob
Do you really intend to sound this self-righteous about this whole thing? Yes - he's making a shite decision but you're making it sound like you are taking personal offense.
You can take it how you want....it seems you didn't take it how I intended it, but sometimes that happens on forums. My advice is to chill. After all, I didn't call you an idiot.

Although you do seem to like sprouts an inordinate amount.....
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK that's fair enough.

TBH my daughter was in a similar situation a few years ago. She was a student in Toronto and had to fly down to NJ for her interview and oath ceremony then fly back the same day because she was in the middle of uni exams. Before she left the US we applied for her US PP. We had been advised if she could prove she had immediately applied for a US expedited PP, had a notorized copy of her naturalisation certificate and an official letter from the university stating the date/time of her exams the IO's would probably let her re-enter the US. However as it turned out she did not need to enter the US until she received her US PP. She flew from Newark airport to Toronto without a problem...entering Canada using her UK PP containing her Canadian student visa.

Your problem could well be (from what you've said) that you haven't applied for a US PP and are now trying to leave and re-enter the US.

Please post back and let us know what happens as it may help someone else. Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 14th 2009 at 2:37 am.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

He's fitting right in. Next thing you know, he'll have his very own crack house and be running a stable of brasses.
karmaworthy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.