Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just arrived in LA - quick hi and question!

Just arrived in LA - quick hi and question!

Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

docholywood will become famous soon enough
Default Just arrived in LA - quick hi and question!

Hey folks!

Sorry this is quick as we have 100's to do and not a lot of time.

I intended to write up a bit of a diary but it just has not been possible in the time we had to get ready - but I will share my experience and lessons learnt on how not to emmigrate to the states - as I made every mistake possible!

Anyway, we are here safe and sound with dog and that's the main thing!

However I couldn't afford the insurance on our rental car so have liability only at the moment as it is legal requirement. It was working out $30ish a day for full cover. I thought I would be smart and get it online when we got to the apartment but am drawing a blank - anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I am not really comfortable being responsible fopr a $40k car in a new driving environment in my current state of mind and spirit! (both in tatters!) Please help!

Docholywood (now in Hollywood!)
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived in LA - quick hi and question!

Glad the move went smoothly!

$30 a day for full coverage, probably isn't all that rubbish, considering you've got no credit history or driving history and presuming only temporary accommodation and no US drivers license?

Does your credit card off any car rental insurance? They usually do. AmEx offer a decent policy, don't know if the UK card offers it, but it's something like $28? For the duration of the rental, if you've transferred a UK AmEx to a US one, you should have that though.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In a rental car you are not talking about "insurance." Rather, it is "collision damage waiver" provision of the rental contract. As others have mentioned, some credit cards have a CDW benefit built in. You need to check with the card issuer on that one.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Yes the collision damage waiver is what I currently do not have. eeek. Unfortunately I do not have amex and am unlikely to get it in time to be covered.

Searching on the internet doesn't really give me anything but I was sure when I looked in to this a month ago that there were plenty of companies offering CDW instead of getting it from the hire desk. Must be going crazy.

It's a 30 day hire, and at 30 dollars a day works out at 900 dollars so it is definitely not reasonable. The fact I had to pay for liability insurance on top of the quote is outrageous. At this rate I am probably going to hand the car back to them on Monday and go somewhere else for a cheaper alternative that includes the insurances.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:14 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docholywood
Yes the collision damage waiver is what I currently do not have. eeek. Unfortunately I do not have amex and am unlikely to get it in time to be covered.

Searching on the internet doesn't really give me anything but I was sure when I looked in to this a month ago that there were plenty of companies offering CDW instead of getting it from the hire desk. Must be going crazy.

It's a 30 day hire, and at 30 dollars a day works out at 900 dollars so it is definitely not reasonable. The fact I had to pay for liability insurance on top of the quote is outrageous. At this rate I am probably going to hand the car back to them on Monday and go somewhere else for a cheaper alternative that includes the insurances.
I'm not sure you realize just how expensive auto insurance is going to be for you once you're not renting.

I think my first 6 months, on a new Texas driving license with no US driving history was about $4,500 for two vehicles, and that was by far the lowest quote I received.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm not sure you realize just how expensive auto insurance is going to be for you once you're not renting.

I think my first 6 months, on a new Texas driving license with no US driving history was about $4,500 for two vehicles, and that was by far the lowest quote I received.

I am actually fully expecting it to be quite expensive for my auto insurance, but taking your figures for example, the $900 from just one month in a rental could pay nearly a quarter of my yearly insurance!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, on a rental, with no US drivers license, US driving history nor credit history, that sadly really isn't all that unreasonable.

Doesn't mean that it doesn't suck and it's certainly not cheap, but then driving cars over here except for clunkers really isn't cheap.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

I have just re - read the post about texas insurance - and see it was 6 months...now my rental quote seems more on par with that but I still hope (in vain) that it is going to be a touch cheaper than that.

I am dreading the next few months to be honest - I thought it was expensive enough just getting here - literally every new person I have spoken to in the last 6 weeks before we left I have had to give lots of money to for one reason or another - roll on the first pay check!!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:43 am
Just Joined

jackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nice

try these:

http://www.usinsuranceonline.com/aut...-insurance.php

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/re...nsurance.shtml

Dunno if they're legit or not, but try googling for temporary car insurance or travel car insurance, short term car insurance, etc... hope this helps and welcome to LA!