Reload this Page >

Just arrived for 2 years

Just arrived for 2 years

Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just arrived for 2 years

Originally Posted by Chorlton
So did you get the bumps? Do they even do that here?
No

Tried that with the 4 year old last month, they thought it was barbaric.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:26 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

If you find you are missing a decent curry, I can heartily recommend Little India's on 6th Avenue and (I think) Grant Street.

There were two English pubs in Denver "proper" if I recall - Pints Pub was on 8th Street (I think) and the Streets of London Pub was on Colfax (inbetween Scooters Liquor and a dry cleaners). There was also a Fado's Irish pub by Coors Field and the Wynkoop Brewery, which was (and probably still is) a very nice micro brewery

I miss Denver, even after 5 years of Florida sunshine
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Titchski
If you find you are missing a decent curry, I can heartily recommend Little India's on 6th Avenue and (I think) Grant Street.

There were two English pubs in Denver "proper" if I recall - Pints Pub was on 8th Street (I think) and the Streets of London Pub was on Colfax (inbetween Scooters Liquor and a dry cleaners). There was also a Fado's Irish pub by Coors Field and the Wynkoop Brewery, which was (and probably still is) a very nice micro brewery

I miss Denver, even after 5 years of Florida sunshine
Faldo's shows the footie internationals
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

foxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the rough

I had no idea that I would create such emotion :scared:

- thank you for assisting, went to World Market with hubby at the weekend and found custard powder, fox's biscuits etc etc - not a great range but all the same at least I know where I can get my little bit of home when i'm in dire need

Our Safeway doesn't seem to stock any UK foods (Highlands Ranch) when none i've found so far but i'm sure as I try different stores i'll find more and more bits and bobs - thank god I bought my PG tips with me though they cost a fortune in World Market.

T
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by foxychickchick
I had no idea that I would create such emotion :scared:

- thank you for assisting, went to World Market with hubby at the weekend and found custard powder, fox's biscuits etc etc - not a great range but all the same at least I know where I can get my little bit of home when i'm in dire need

Our Safeway doesn't seem to stock any UK foods (Highlands Ranch) when none i've found so far but i'm sure as I try different stores i'll find more and more bits and bobs - thank god I bought my PG tips with me though they cost a fortune in World Market.

T
Safeway does not stock UK foods. I have been in quite a few around here.

There is an upmarket deli in Ft Collins that has some bits but their prices put me off.

Indian Stores might be your best bet, there is one that I have been recommended but have yet to try, in Louisville.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:18 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Thank you all for your advice - will do a bit more searching, found some bread yesterday that doesn't taste like sugar so perhaps its just a case of trying different brands etc....
Oh my god, what was it?? I still haven't been able to find any decent bread!!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Plenty in CO, price, well thats another matter.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:30 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
Plenty in CO, price, well thats another matter.
I know you can buy fresh sourdough in some deli's but what about the supermarket stuff? Can you get anything from Giant Eagle/Walmart/Safrans that doesn't have 3 pounds of sugar in each slice?
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:37 pm
Banned

It always amazes me how long supermarket bread lasts here, back home it would last about 5-7 days at a push, the stuff here lasts two weeks, maybe all that sugar acts as a preservative.
I recently found myself some butter that doesn't have sugar in it (land o lakes whipped) and am just trying to get some proper bread to put it on.

The days of a proper bacon sarnie are gone for good I fear...sniff, as for being able to get hold of sausages that aren't dry and don't look like they have been regurgitated three times -doubtful. If I wanted to eat turd I can manufacture my own.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

I know you can buy fresh sourdough in some deli's but what about the supermarket stuff? Can you get anything from Giant Eagle/Walmart/Safrans that doesn't have 3 pounds of sugar in each slice?
I am picky, WholeFoods and their competitor whose name I have forgotten, all the Supermarkets have in store bakeries, so so, did find some OK muti grain at Costco once.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

foxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the rough

It was from Super Target, can't remember the price I know it wasn't very expensive though but was listed as sandwich bread just like normal bread from home - good luck
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

It always amazes me how long supermarket bread lasts here, back home it would last about 5-7 days at a push, the stuff here lasts two weeks, maybe all that sugar acts as a preservative.
I recently found myself some butter that doesn't have sugar in it (land o lakes whipped) and am just trying to get some proper bread to put it on.

The days of a proper bacon sarnie are gone for good I fear...sniff, as for being able to get hold of sausages that aren't dry and don't look like they have been regurgitated three times -doubtful. If I wanted to eat turd I can manufacture my own.
Two phrases that newbies should learn when they move to the US.

1. Corn Syrup.
2. Hydrogenated oil.

Keep away from them, and you'll live a long and happy life.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:58 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi arrived in Denver, CO on 21st November for 2 years with my husbands job and just starting to miss cetain stuff now this website just be the thing that keeps me sane....

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy international food (in particular good ole english stuff) a few people have recommended "Whole Foods" i think it was but have yet to visit...

Thanks

Welcome to Denver!! More sunny days here than CA!! If you ever venture up to Boulder, call up the Gift Box. Granted, their prices will be jaw dropping at times but its better than nothing. Whole Paycheck aka Whole foods has limited stuff. Gift box has its assortment of everything; twiglets, refreshers, birdseye custard, HP, Heinz 57 Baked Beans, mushy peas (can't we just blend them?!), 'bena & robinsons etc - oh actual bangers... pasties too!! All this talk of food...
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:54 pm
allserene

I bet Colorado is better than Wisconsin which is wall to wall German food which to a Brit is worse than whiskas supermeat !

Try 'hacked flesh' and 'boiled pigs' knuckles and 'mashed atlantic perch'!

jeez ! Actually you will stop looking for anything recognizable after a month or two and stick with spuds and pork chops .

I dream of yorkshire pork pies etc and my wife wakes up with bites on her chubbies.

You will slowly find a small number of US foods that are up to standard but you wont care by then. You will be comparing yourself to Japanese prisoners of war and thinking yourself lucky rather than comparing to the Uk on a sunday lunchtime.
The french thinks the british eat badly but they want to try Wisconsin and then they will realise the brits are gourmets !

Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allserene
I bet Colorado is better than Wisconsin which is wall to wall German food which to a Brit is worse than whiskas supermeat !

Try 'hacked flesh' and 'boiled pigs' knuckles and 'mashed atlantic perch'!

jeez ! Actually you will stop looking for anything recognizable after a month or two and stick with spuds and pork chops .

I dream of yorkshire pork pies etc and my wife wakes up with bites on her chubbies.

You will slowly find a small number of US foods that are up to standard but you wont care by then. You will be comparing yourself to Japanese prisoners of war and thinking yourself lucky rather than comparing to the Uk on a sunday lunchtime.
The french thinks the british eat badly but they want to try Wisconsin and then they will realise the brits are gourmets !
If you don't like Wisconsin, then move to some other place in the US where it's more cosmopolitan. Alternatively, you could just move back to the UK if you miss British food that much...

Last edited by Celsius; Dec 13th 2005 at 7:55 pm. Reason: As if readers couldn't understand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.