Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just arrived for 2 years

Just arrived for 2 years

Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:53 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived for 2 years

Originally Posted by foxychickchick
Hi arrived in Denver, CO on 21st November for 2 years with my husbands job and just starting to miss cetain stuff now this website just be the thing that keeps me sane....

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy international food (in particular good ole english stuff) a few people have recommended "Whole Foods" i think it was but have yet to visit...

Thanks
Hi also a Coloradoan (not sure if thats right schnorbitz) further south in the springs, one good place to go down here if you are missing home is the Golden Bee Pub. The interior of the pub was imported from England and they also serve English food and beers.

I would wait for the summer that I25 gets pretty hairy in the snow.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:48 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
I'm truly sorry for the misfortune that has befallen you (your husband's transfer to CO). Just remember that it's only 2 years until parole, then your exile will come to a merciful end at last!!

Keep a stiff upper lip, and I'm sure you'll be able to survive the wilderness of America. Just think of all the survival stories you'll be able to tell friends and rellies on your triumphant return home.

But in the meantime....welcome (temporarlily at least) to the good ole' US of A.
Oh come on! Sometimes I just can't believe what you Brits whinge about living here as expats!

I lived in Chile for two years with no car, no TV, no internet, and no indoor heat. The first year I had to wash all my clothes in the bathtub because I couldn't afford a washing machine! I worked 35 hours a week and made $500/month -- even going to Burger King was a luxury. I'm not exaggerating! All this and I had to do it completely using a language that I did not grow up speaking.

I doubt any of you have experienced life like that in the States, so I don't think "survival" is really the right word! (And no -- American English being different from British English doesn't count as a foreign language!)

To the OP: It's not as bad as they make it sound. It's natural to miss things from home, especially when you've first moved. My advice is to try to integrate yourself in your community -- take up classes, join a book club, etc. The sooner you can make friends where you live, the sooner you'll feel more "at home." It'll take time but it'll happen. That was my experience, anyway.

Welcome to the board, and best of luck.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

To the OP: It's not as bad as they make it sound. It's natural to miss things from home, especially when you've first moved. My advice is to try to integrate yourself in your community -- take up classes, join a book club, etc. The sooner you can make friends where you live, the sooner you'll feel more "at home." It'll take time but it'll happen. That was my experience, anyway.
Great advice!

My advice to newbies to the US (or anywhere for that matter), is to have as little contact with other expats as possible for at least six months, in order to build up local relationships. Worked great for me.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:05 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Oh come on! Sometimes I just can't believe what you Brits whinge about living here as expats!

I lived in Chile for two years with no car, no TV, no internet, and no indoor heat. The first year I had to wash all my clothes in the bathtub because I couldn't afford a washing machine! I worked 35 hours a week and made $500/month -- even going to Burger King was a luxury. I'm not exaggerating! All this and I had to do it completely using a language that I did not grow up speaking.
~ Jenney
I remember surviving in the same manner, however it was in the UK and it was at Uni.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Just arrived for 2 years

I doubt any of you have experienced life like that in the States, so I don't think "survival" is really the right word! (And no -- American English being different from British English doesn't count as a foreign language!)
~ Jenney
A few words for Jenney. Sod off! You're neither British or an expat...

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion.

As for your comments about Chile, you weren't forced to live there were you? I suppose you may have chosen/volunteered to work there.

For some down to earth advice, anyone living in the US doesn't have to look too far to find residents in the US who live like you did in Chile except these residents are quite possibly US citizens who've been raised and educated in the US. Stick that in your pipe!!! (get your husband to translate this if necessary).
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Children, children - where is your sense of humo(u)r?

Remember, this is British Expats. Pi$$-taking and stiff upper lip are compulsory
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

~ Jenney
Jabba1 is neither British or an Expat and was taking the piss, you were caught hook line and sinker.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:18 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
Jabba1 is neither British or an Expat and was taking the piss, you were caught hook line and sinker.
Exactly. Why, oh, why do these things have to be explained?
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

first time around here, after did the travelling thing and broke, the missus got a job at a kindergarden, we lived off $230 a month, did laundry by hand in the bathtub and froze through winter...admittedly we did have a car, but could only afford the petrol to go out and get groceries once a fortnight as it was a good 45 min drive....*l*
Regardless of the situation, the snow and cold does compound to get you down at times.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:03 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzi
... try Sams club/BJs ...
Sam's sells BJ's now too? They really are a superstore then!!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Sam's sells BJ's now too? They really are a superstore then!!

Somebody explain - why are we talking about bl0w jobs now?

What with all the talk about cumin on the other thread, what on earth is BE coming to?

I think we need a Mary Whitehouse here! Bob where are U?
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

~ Jenney
Excellent!!!! My master plan for world conquest has begun as expected. Everything is proceeding according to my design. Soon the whole world will call me........MASTER!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Taking a bit more of the piss, I am.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:33 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I wasn't caught at all. I knew the comments were being made sarcastically. However, when a newbie is posting on here, stating she's already homesick for a country that -- let's face it -- is not too dissimilar from this one after only a matter of weeks, why point out the negatives, even if only in jest? She was clearly looking for support, but instead is told that moving to the States is a "misfortune" and that she's "in exile". If I was in the OP's shoes -- which I have been -- I would not find such words comforting.

Some of you may think my being sensitive to the OP's situation is a flaw, but it's not something I will apologize for.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:48 pm
I'm back!

Originally Posted by Celsius
A few words for Jenney. Sod off! You're neither British or an expat...

The fact that I'm not British is irrelevant. And while I'm not currently an expat, I HAVE been an expat -- the fact that I'm not one now doesn't erase my experience.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion.
Thanks, I already knew that.

As for your comments about Chile, you weren't forced to live there were you? I suppose you may have chosen/volunteered to work there.
I'm not sure what your point is here. There are a lot of expats who choose to live abroad. I would say the majority of people on this site fall into that category -- they choose to accept a company transfer to the States, they choose to move to the States to live with their spouses, etc. And for the majority of people on this site, they live an existance that's comparable to what they had back in the UK -- ie, the same conveniences, language, etc.

For some down to earth advice, anyone living in the US doesn't have to look too far to find residents in the US who live like you did in Chile except these residents are quite possibly US citizens who've been raised and educated in the US.
I am well aware of the poverty that unfortunately exists in this country. But again, my point is that, fortunately, the majority of BE members do not live that kind of life. For one thing, if they did they wouldn't have access to computers to read and post messages on here, would they? Yet the way a lot of members complain about life in the US, you'd think they lived in a shack with corrugated tin roofs and no electricity!

Stick that in your pipe!!! (get your husband to translate this if necessary).
No translation needed -- rudeness is a universal language.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:54 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Jenney,

time for a xanax maybe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.