Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just arrived for 2 years

Just arrived for 2 years

Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

foxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the rough
Default Just arrived for 2 years

Hi arrived in Denver, CO on 21st November for 2 years with my husbands job and just starting to miss cetain stuff now this website just be the thing that keeps me sane....

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy international food (in particular good ole english stuff) a few people have recommended "Whole Foods" i think it was but have yet to visit...

Thanks
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:20 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived for 2 years

Originally Posted by foxychickchick
Hi arrived in Denver, CO on 21st November for 2 years with my husbands job and just starting to miss cetain stuff now this website just be the thing that keeps me sane....

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy international food (in particular good ole english stuff) a few people have recommended "Whole Foods" i think it was but have yet to visit...

Thanks
Hi and welcome to the board

I'm not sure that Whole Foods do British stuff, though it's definitely a good place to shop if you can afford it! My local Safeway has a small range of Brit foods (PG Tips, Heinz beans, Hob Nobs, that kind of thing) but your best bet is to google British stores in your area - there may well be one, particularly if there is a large British contingent there. Failing that, you can order online. There are a few links here - http://www.britsintheus.com/bitsnbobs.htm for you to try.

Good luck getting settled in. Give us a shout if you need any help or info!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
You arrived on Nov 21st and are already missing English stuff? WOW!!
Welcome and good luck making it through the two years.

A quick search through previous threads should yield lots of places to try find English stuff, Denver is a decent size so shouldn't be too hard....Flagstaff on the other hand, forget it!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Whole Foods does stock some english stuff but be careful for example lurpak butter from there just isn't the same, not sure why?
Trader Joes sells weetabix, crumpets and a few other things, kerrygold butter I think.
Cost Plus World Market sells chocolate, baked beans, curry sauce to name but a few.
also depending on what grocery stores you have you may get quite a fair bit of stuff in there, on our coast we're not that lucky but I know on the east coast they seem to have a far better choice in the supermarkets..also there are many english shops, do a search, you may have one locally..
there are many internet sites that ship english foods, do a search on here..
Welcome to the site.. It kept me sane too in my darkest hours of homesickness, wouldn't go back to England now even if you paid me..
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

foxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the roughfoxychickchick is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for your advice - will do a bit more searching, found some bread yesterday that doesn't taste like sugar so perhaps its just a case of trying different brands etc....
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry - you will be fine once you settle in, it takes awhile but after a year there are few things we miss. Most, like crisps, chocolate and squash can be had at Kroger or British stores here in Dallas - for a price!!

We get the inlaws to bring 1000 bags of PG tips from Costco in the UK and that sees us through half a year - we would die at the US prices!!

Seriously though - once you get used to some of the differences etc you will be fine - honest!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:33 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Greetings from a fellow Coloradian (is that a word?). I've only been here two months myself so I'm still scoffing my way through all the goodies I bought from home. I'm told you can get some good stuff here (for a price) http://www.englishteacup.com/cupboard.html. In addition to scoffing my UK goodies I am mean and refuse to pay $7 for some Robinsons squash. I'm here to live the dream of Nachos, sour cream and salsa! The only things I'll really pine for is Colemans mustard and Bovril.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I'm truly sorry for the misfortune that has befallen you (your husband's transfer to CO). Just remember that it's only 2 years until parole, then your exile will come to a merciful end at last!!

Keep a stiff upper lip, and I'm sure you'll be able to survive the wilderness of America. Just think of all the survival stories you'll be able to tell friends and rellies on your triumphant return home.

But in the meantime....welcome (temporarlily at least) to the good ole' US of A.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Two years is nothing, I've done almost four. I have a Certificate of Endurance pinned to my wall.
Bread: foxychick try Sams club/BJs if you have them, fresh bread rolls there are edible and are not sugar laden. The cakes are ok too, ditto sausages. They sell a variety of Brit cheeses at prices that don't make you break out in a cold sweat.
If you're lucky enough to have Publix supermarkets (we don't) they sell a fair amount of Brit foods.
All the best.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:36 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Hiya
Welcome to the US! Is it freezing in Colorado? Good luck with getting through the next 2 years. Let us know how you get on and how long it is before you turn to drink
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:57 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
You may not have noticed but BE has a bunch of links for food shopping online.

Shopping from any of these sites may satisfy your British food withdrawal symptoms.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:37 am
~ Relocated to Texas ~

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aznewsh
You arrived on Nov 21st and are already missing English stuff? WOW!!
Welcome and good luck making it through the two years.
I can relate to that. When I first got here I found I missed Brit stuff more than I do now. After a while you get used to not having it. But it's really hard initially. The OP has gone two weeks without being able to buy the things she's used to. That's really hard when your not used to it.

My list of things that my mother has to bring has significantly reduced, it's down to just Ribena now!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:38 am
~ Relocated to Texas ~

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

now this website just be the thing that keeps me sane....
You have a LOT to learn! The reality is that the lunatics have taken over the asylum! This is just a place for us to share our insanity
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Greetings from a fellow Coloradian (is that a word?). I've only been here two months myself so I'm still scoffing my way through all the goodies I bought from home. I'm told you can get some good stuff here (for a price) http://www.englishteacup.com/cupboard.html.
That place isn't bad. They have a little tea room where they serve home-made sausage rolls and the like. I love World Market - there are two in Denver. The closest one to downtown is in Cherry Creek. Also, as others have said, check the local supermarkets and look for the "Ethnic Food" section
Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:50 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
www.britishgrocer.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.