Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Summons for non-USC

Jury Summons for non-USC

Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:43 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jury Summons for non-USC

I got my GC in February, and yesterday received a Jury Summons, so I had to disqualify myself as I am not yet a USC. However, I intend to apply for citizenship in 2007 (married to a USC, so three years, apply at 2.5).

I regard jury duty as just that - a civic duty - so I don't want to be removed form the register permanently. What is the right way to ensure that this will not happen, or do I have to write and tell somebody when I have naturalised?

I currently live in Washington state. Thanks...
Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:54 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Summons for non-USC

Personally, I wouldn't worry or do anything about it. The chance that you'll be called for jury duty again over the next 2-3 years is pretty slim. If you happen to be called again before you naturalize, just excuse yourself for the same reason.

(FWIW, I am nearly 33 years old and to date have never been called to jury duty!)

~ Jenney
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I got my GC in February, and yesterday received a Jury Summons, so I had to disqualify myself as I am not yet a USC. However, I intend to apply for citizenship in 2007 (married to a USC, so three years, apply at 2.5).

I regard jury duty as just that - a civic duty - so I don't want to be removed form the register permanently. What is the right way to ensure that this will not happen, or do I have to write and tell somebody when I have naturalised?

When you register to vote (!) after your natz, you should be thrown back into the County pool again.
Look up your Sec'y of State's website to drill down to your Voting Registrar's info
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:16 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be removed permanently, I don't know how WA works but in PA part of the list is the driving license. If you get dropped just register to vote and that will put you on the list. Although, PA swears selection is random, new citizens seem to be called more often at first.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:25 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Personally, I wouldn't worry or do anything about it. The chance that you'll be called for jury duty again over the next 2-3 years is pretty slim. If you happen to be called again before you naturalize, just excuse yourself for the same reason.

(FWIW, I am nearly 33 years old and to date have never been called to jury duty!)

~ Jenney
My wife and I think there is something non-random in the selection engine: she has been called three times in the last three years - once each for district, superior and county - and twice in the three years prior to that. We think our address somehow floats to the top of the selection pile for some reason...
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I think there is something non-random in the selection engine: she has been called three times in the last three years - once each for district, superior and county - and twice in the three years prior to that. We think our address somehow floats to the top of the selection pile for some reason...
They have trouble getting people to do jury duty (most people make excuses to get out of it).
So if you ever actually do jury duty they will keep calling you.
Yes, its not random for those that have already done jury duty.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 5:13 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by austin_d_powers
They have trouble getting people to do jury duty (most people make excuses to get out of it).
So if you ever actually do jury duty they will keep calling you.
Yes, its not random for those that have already done jury duty.
And if you have a job that requires critical thinking, you will spend the day reading your book, because you won't be selected for a jury. The trial lawyers are salesmen who sell the sizzle, they don't want anyone who will want to see the steak.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 5:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry. When my husband got his summons, he wrote back explaining that he was not a citizen. They still sent him another summons about 18 months or so later...
Old Sep 1st 2005, 5:46 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I did Jury duty 9 months after becoming a citizen.

the first they do is line you up and ask you of anyone is NOT a citizen - and then you leave if you are not.

kind of a catch all.

Being on duty was actually quite an experience...
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I got a summons about two months ago and just crossed the non citizen box. I did jury duty in the UK and enjoyed both the duty and the time off work when we had nothing to do.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:56 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm feeling a little left out now, knowing that so many non-citizens are getting jury summonses, sometimes multiple times, and I've never even gotten ONE! *pout*

~ Jenney
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:10 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm feeling a little left out now, knowing that so many non-citizens are getting jury summonses, sometimes multiple times, and I've never even gotten ONE! *pout*

~ Jenney
Come stay with us for a while: as I said, the place is jinxed!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:29 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

My husband received his jury service within a year of us moving here. He just called and told them he was not a USC. I thought they got the names off the voting list but it seems it comes from the drivers' license list.

I don't think you need to do anything just sit back and wait to be recalled.

I am not sure how it works in other Counties, but in ours when they do jury selection they have around 100 people turn up that morning and end up picking less than half. The attorneys in the cases get a copy of the whole list before trial date so they can go through and make any objections prior to trial date.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:39 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Here they use many lists (Drivers, Voting and others) and an "undisclosed" random computer generator. Random my butt. Most people at our jury pool had been many times before *AND* nearly all reported their spouses had never been called. Obviously something is wrong!!

Here they select about 300 to attend on Monday. The computer chooses groups of like 15, 20, 30 or even 40 people (depending upon the case and the lawyers choice). Anyone not chosen in a group that day gets to go home but has to call every night after 7pm - all the way through Friday to see if they are needed. i.e. you have to be on standby.

If you are picked for a group, but not for Jury duty, you get to go home but STILL have to call in every night.

I was picked for a group on Monday (32 people). Spent all afternoon in Jury selection being asked questions etc. When the lawyers picked the 12 they wanted, the rest including me, were sent home.

I called in Monday night and the didn't need me Tuesday. Nor for Wednesday but Thursday I was back in. There were about 150 people there now. I was picked for a group of 42 and then picked for the Jury. I served Thurs PM and then all day Friday and we reached a verdict late Friday afternoon (the judge said we would be there all weekend if need be !!!!).