Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Summons

Jury Summons

Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Summons

Originally Posted by Lord Knows

In this vicinity jurors are selected from the registered voters, and thus must a usc and living within the jurisdiction. If you were to report and some how be selected it would be the basis for an appeal on the part of the defeated party. It could very well open you to the some sort of lability also. Not only would it be an embarrassment to the judicial system, it may lead to a total collapse of the process and downfall of western civilization.

My recommendation would be to reply honestly as to your status. Or walk across the Rio Grande from Mexico, which I understand entitles a person to most citizenship rights.

Jury summons in a lot of areas is from driving license records not voter registration hence the reason a lot of non citizens are summoned for jury duty.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

On a purely a personal note I believe that it is time to change our legal system from an accusatorial system to an inquistional system, so that a judge/Magistrates can interogate defendants.
Juries nowadays in the UK take little notice of the facts laid out before them in court and come up with stupid decisions based on their own beliefs and not the facts.Time for a change, me thinks !.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Jury Summons

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
But you are an exception.! Scouse humour ranks right at the top of my list of funny people (in the nicest sense).
I'm bowing gracefully and I would like to say, in my best Arthur Askey voice "I thank you!"

Jim
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:54 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't suggest you should make a profit from doing jury duty, just that you shouldn't face financial hardship because of it.

Fulfilling your 'civic duty' at all costs is very noble; completely unrealistic, but noble none-the-less.

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Jury duty is not meant to be a moneyspinner, it's a civic duty. It's really sh1t that people are so offhand and callous about it. It's an important thing to do for your community, and if you were up for trial you'd want to be judged by people that aren't there just because they couldn't be bothered to skive out of it.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

passing yourself off as a US citizen when you aren't is a deportable offence if it hasn't been mentioned and would lead to a major ball ache when you do try and get citizenship...
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:09 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
I didn't suggest you should make a profit from doing jury duty, just that you shouldn't face financial hardship because of it.
You said "Most professionals would be eligible to be excused...", but most professionals are employees who wouldn't be facing genuine hardship by attending jury duty, and they're often the loudest whiners. In any case, jury duty is a cost to be born as part of your membership of the community (and not an unjust one, imo).
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
You said "Most professionals would be eligible to be excused...", but most professionals are employees who wouldn't be facing genuine hardship by attending jury duty, and they're often the loudest whiners. In any case, jury duty is a cost to be born as part of your membership of the community (and not an unjust one, imo).
a lot are still waged though, and taking a week or two's hit on pay would have sunk us when we were up in maine.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:30 pm

SafetyNet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Jury summons in a lot of areas is from driving license records not voter registration hence the reason a lot of non citizens are summoned for jury duty.
Yeah, they use DMV records to send out jury summons.

I recently got my first summons during summer. And what an experience! Though I never got to the box to be questioned for selection, just sitting there and watching the process was pretty amazing.
It also helped that the lawyers and the judge AND the defendant were all gorgeous looking people. Sheer eye candy. Though the judge said real court is nothing like the TV shows, the people were certainly good looking enough to be celebrities
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SafetyNet
Yeah, they use DMV records to send out jury summons.

I recently got my first summons during summer. And what an experience! Though I never got to the box to be questioned for selection, just sitting there and watching the process was pretty amazing.
It also helped that the lawyers and the judge AND the defendant were all gorgeous looking people. Sheer eye candy. Though the judge said real court is nothing like the TV shows, the people were certainly good looking enough to be celebrities

You obviously don't live in rural Texas then.Not much eye candy going on in the courts around here.....unfortunately
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:34 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

On a purely a personal note I believe that it is time to change our legal system from an accusatorial system to an inquistional system, so that a judge/Magistrates can interogate defendants.
Juries nowadays in the UK take little notice of the facts laid out before them in court and come up with stupid decisions based on their own beliefs and not the facts.Time for a change, me thinks !.
Because no one expects the inquisition
Old Dec 13th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Because no one expects the inquisition
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Attached Thumbnails Jury Summons-spanish-inquisition-mp.jpg  
Old Dec 13th 2007, 1:33 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
passing yourself off as a US citizen when you aren't is a deportable offence if it hasn't been mentioned and would lead to a major ball ache when you do try and get citizenship...
Uh.....I said as much in post #2 and in post #10............I can't believe this thread has gone to this many pages

~SecretGarden
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
a lot are still waged though, and taking a week or two's hit on pay would have sunk us when we were up in maine.
When my husband was selected to serve on the jury for a trial (it was at least 3 weeks long) he still received his usual pay from his employer, in addition the measly jury duty pay that likely covered parking and lunch. He's a salaried professional - I believe that's not unusual, otherwise you'd have all sorts of people claiming they couldn't serve.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

What relevance has this got to a discussion on being called for jury duty in the US? Get with the program....
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
When my husband was selected to serve on the jury for a trial (it was at least 3 weeks long) he still received his usual pay from his employer, in addition the measly jury duty pay that likely covered parking and lunch. He's a salaried professional - I believe that's not unusual, otherwise you'd have all sorts of people claiming they couldn't serve.
Employers are legally obliged to pay you whilst you are on jury duty for the first 5 days.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/faq/jury.html#paid

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 13th 2007 at 2:13 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.