Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Summons

Jury Summons

Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:33 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Summons

Originally Posted by Pony
Most professionals would be eligible to be excused, and I would imagine would choose to do so. Jury duty does not pay well
Jury duty is not meant to be a moneyspinner, it's a civic duty. It's really sh1t that people are so offhand and callous about it. It's an important thing to do for your community, and if you were up for trial you'd want to be judged by people that aren't there just because they couldn't be bothered to skive out of it.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
That isn't fair.. you get invited and you don't want to attend and I get invited and would love to go but I'm not allowed to..
Once you're a citizen, I believe you can volunteer. Not sure, but I think so.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:17 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband received a jury summons within days of becoming a USC.
Poor thing It didn't take them long to summon me after becoming a USC either .
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:19 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by surly
I don't get summoned any more but if you can prove hardship you may be excused, and the bulk of those on BE can be excused as non citizens or for being over 70
You can also be excused if you're the sole caregiver of young children.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Is that how it works?!!.. I guess they have to cover their own backs and make sure they'll have enough jurors if some people don't turn up..
When you are selected, you turn up at the courthouse and find yourself part of a pool of potential jurors. I think names are picked randomly for pre-trial screening. You might go a week just sitting in the waiting room. Even if selected for a trial, you might not have to do anything. A lot of cases are settled literally at the last minute with a plea deal.

Mrs Bill was selected a couple of years ago, and wound up on two trials. One was medical malpractice, but the judge dismissed the case after a couple of days. The second involved business fraud amidst convoluted personal relationships. Overall she thought it was a very interesting experience.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:48 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
They thought that I was the defendant

Jim.
Why were you wearing a suit?
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:49 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Yeah but be fair....you were in the dock for pinching knickers off of washing lines.
Well I was in the dock
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:15 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
No, I really enjoyed it. (would have liked it even without being foreman....it wasn't a power trip, or anything).

The case was very sad. An 18 year old high school honor student who lived in his aunt's house, which apparently had unrelated people living there who were drug addicts and sellers. LOTS of crack cocaine was found on top of his school books, in his room. The books had his name in them.

It was so not good.
~SG
I too sat on the jury of a felony case. I was one of two women in the jury. The charges were 2X child rape and 4X gross sexual imposition. It was not a pleasant experience listening to the testimony but I am glad I did not try to get out of it.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:23 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

My greatest fear is that I get selected for a case that ultimately goes on an on and requires that we, the jury, be sequestered away from friends and family at length.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Jury duty is not meant to be a moneyspinner, it's a civic duty. It's really sh1t that people are so offhand and callous about it. It's an important thing to do for your community, and if you were up for trial you'd want to be judged by people that aren't there just because they couldn't be bothered to skive out of it.
If you are losing $800 per week doing your "Civic Duty" you should be compensated for the loss of earnings, especially if the trial you are selected for is likely to last a few weeks.

In the UK, I was fortunate enough to be paid for my loss of earnings, and was therefore more than willing to be fair and balanced when it came to deciding someones fate. If I was losing money on the experience, I probably would not have taken the oath and been sent on my way.

Jim.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:23 pm

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

do you think I could just turn up and hope that they don't check and let me be part of it or should I just let them know that I don't think I'm qualified.. I would really like to do it ..

In this vicinity jurors are selected from the registered voters, and thus must a usc and living within the jurisdiction. If you were to report and some how be selected it would be the basis for an appeal on the part of the defeated party. It could very well open you to the some sort of lability also. Not only would it be an embarrassment to the judicial system, it may lead to a total collapse of the process and downfall of western civilization.

My recommendation would be to reply honestly as to your status. Or walk across the Rio Grande from Mexico, which I understand entitles a person to most citizenship rights.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Knows
Or walk across the Rio Grande from Mexico, which I understand entitles a person to most citizenship rights.
Er...about the same rights as someone who enters the US on a VWP actually.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Why do we have juries anyway, their all guilty anyway.

What do you call a 'scouser' in a suit............. A defendant !
Old I know, but I could resist !
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
What do you call a 'scouser' in a suit............. A defendant !
Old I know, but I could resist !
Oh my goodness that is so funny.......and original, too

Jim.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Oh my goodness that is so funny.......and original, too

Jim.
But you are an exception.! Scouse humour ranks right at the top of my list of funny people (in the nicest sense).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.