Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Service FUBAR am I going to jury prison?

Jury Service FUBAR am I going to jury prison?

Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Service FUBAR am I going to jury prison?

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Are you registered to vote? Many courts use the electoral register as a source of potential jurors. ......
You're damn right I'm registered to vote! That's about the only material benefit to getting citizenship - I figured I have to pay the taxes, so I might as well get citizenship and get to vote on the idiots that spend my tax dollars!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're damn right I'm registered to vote! That's about the only material benefit to getting citizenship - I figured I have to pay the taxes, so I might as well get citizenship and get to vote on the idiots that spend my tax dollars!

Don't Vote - It Just Encourages The Bastards!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I know! I couldn't believe that they wanted an actual paper copy, bastards.
So you've not been banged up for ignoring a jury summons then
Old Jan 25th 2013, 2:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know names are obtained from DLs, property taxes, income taxes and new US citizens lists...because I asked at the county courthouse when I was called. Within a couple of months of becoming USCs both hubby and myself were called for jury duty. Hubby has been called twice in 4 years. Neither of us have actually had to sit on a jury. Hubby had to wait around for a day...I was dismissed. It was a lengthy double murder case...I was in the store next to where the murder took place the day before...so the defendant's attorney asked for me to be dismissed.
So finally some good has come out of your shopping obsession..
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's when I got the first jury summons within two months of registering to vote here in GA.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Yup, that's when I got the first jury summons within two months of registering to vote here in GA.
Lucky you, I'm still waiting after almost 6 years. .... I never got called in Britain either.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you, I'm still waiting after almost 6 years. .... I never got called in Britain either.
My mate got called in the UK - the judge told him, in not so many words, he didn't like the look of him ...

I never did though. Still waiting here, though I only registered to vote at the deadline in October last year for the election. I sort of want to be called though. Not quite sure why, exactly.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:20 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Got called twice in the UK just after I left, excused as they would not cover the travel expenses. Called four times in twelve years here, first three before I was citizen. Fourth time dismissed as I working for the police at the time.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Interesting. I have many friends who are lawers here in Houston (prosecution as well as criminal defence), several of who have worked in the DA's office and they have mentioned before as Paddingtongreen mentioned, that they look for people who can be swayed by emotion and would stay clear of problem solvers such as engineers.
I am an engineer, and I have been called for jury duty 3 times, and I was elected foreman each time. On another jury, they were one short, so the judge sent the court officer to get somebody off the street. He dragged a guy in who was going by the court house on his morning jog.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:45 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

So I do my civic duty and turn up for jury duty this morning, only to be told the case was cancelled last week. Myself, and the line of others summoned for jury duty, could not be contacted because they didn't know our phone numbers. Apparently, 411 or sending a letter was too much trouble.
I'll get a cheque for $7 to 'cover' my expenses, which doesn't even cover the cost of the gas.