Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Service FUBAR am I going to jury prison?

Jury Service FUBAR am I going to jury prison?

Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:20 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jury Service FUBAR am I going to jury prison?

Back in June 2012 I received a letter asking me to fill out a questionnaire to see if I was fit for jury duty. I took the option to fill it out online and discovered that as I'm still a green card holder, not a USC, that disqualified me.

Couple of days later I received an email asking me to send a scan of my green card, either by mail or email but that if I didn't send it within 5 working days, I'd be sent another questionnaire. Well, I don't have a scanner, don't know anyone who does. The ball and chain managed to track a dusty old one down in his office, but by the time we'd got it sorted out and working, 5 working days had passed. I decided to sit and wait for my new questionnaire. It never came and I forgot all about it.

My husband is terrible at putting mail on his desk at home and not opening it. I've just found a letter from October stating that I was to appear at the local court stating why I was unfit for jury service and failure to do so could result in a big fine.

Oh. Shit.

What do I do next?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Service FUBAR am I going to jury prison?

I'd just fill in the form and send it back now. Your tardiness has administrative consequences only - as you are not eligible for jury duty you have not actually impacted jury service or avoided being called to serve. If there'd been huge negative consequences you'd have heard by now, but there aren't, and there never would be when you aren't eligible for jury service in the first place.

In practice, round here at least, many people don't even bother to show up when called to join the jury pool at the courthouse, and it doesn't seem to have negative consequences - the courts just call more people than they'll ever need, knowing that some won't show up.

BTW Fedex, the UPS Store, and other office service companies will scan documents for you, or you can buy a basic one for probably around $100. I use my employer's scanners so much that I bought a home office scanner on clearance from Amazon about 4 years ago, and paid less than $200 for a printer/copier/scanner/fax complete with document feed - it was a great deal and a great convenience to have around.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What happens is you move out of state...do you have to contact anyone to tell them you are not eligible for jury duty?

My daughter was called for jury duty a few years ago. I simply called the courthouse and said she no longer lived in the US.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What happens is you move out of state...do you have to contact anyone to tell them you are not eligible for jury duty?

My daughter was called for jury duty a few years ago. I simply called the courthouse and said she no longer lived in the US.
I think records are tied to drivers licence records, so when your licence is returned by the state you moved to, your name comes off the jury service records. Of course if you leave the US, and your licence is not returned, your name isn't going to be removed (unless yoi tell the state).
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think records are tied to drivers licence records, so when your licence is returned by the state you moved to, your name comes off the jury service records. Of course if you leave the US, and your licence is not returned, your name isn't going to be removed (unless yoi tell the state).
I know names are obtained from DLs, property taxes, income taxes and new US citizens lists...because I asked at the county courthouse when I was called. Within a couple of months of becoming USCs both hubby and myself were called for jury duty. Hubby has been called twice in 4 years. Neither of us have actually had to sit on a jury. Hubby had to wait around for a day...I was dismissed. It was a lengthy double murder case...I was in the store next to where the murder took place the day before...so the defendant's attorney asked for me to be dismissed.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 15th 2013 at 12:31 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:33 pm

...... Within a couple of months of becoming USCs both hubby and myself were called for jury duty. Hubby has been called twice in 4 years.
I've been a citizen for almost 6 years and never been called, though during the same period my wife, born a USC, has been called twice.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Jury Service FUBAR am I going to jury prison?

Just show up in court wearing a "Ku-Klux Klan" outfit, and, I don't think you will be called again.....especially after proclaiming "WHO'S FIRST?"

Jim.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Just show up in court wearing a "Ku-Klux Klan" outfit, and, I don't think you will be called again.....especially after proclaiming "WHO'S FIRST?"

Jim.

I read that if you go to jury service all preppy/right wing looking you will be dismissed. I was given dozens if questions to answer...give the wrong answer to one and you were dismissed. No wonder several hundred people are called for each trial.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I was called twice, for Duty at Chester Crown Court, when I lived there...even after my approval was given to emigrate to the States.

Fortunately, that got me out of a Trial that was expected to last anywhere between 3-6 Months.

Jim.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 2:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
What do I do next?
You might want to obtain local advice for this one. Even though you aren't eligible to serve, your failure to respond to a summons is a somewhat separate matter, which the local court may or may not take seriously. (My guess is that it probably isn't a big deal, given that you are clearly ineligible to serve, but the attitude taken about the failure to appear will be determined at the local level.)

You might want to just mail back a photocopy of your green card along with a backdated letter that explains that you aren't a citizen, and leave it at that.

(And in the future, if you need to scan documents, your local office supply behemoth such as Staples, Office Depot and Office Max should be able to help you.)
Old Jan 15th 2013, 2:56 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I read that if you go to jury service all preppy/right wing looking you will be dismissed. I was given dozens if questions to answer...give the wrong answer to one and you were dismissed. No wonder several hundred people are called for each trial.
I'm of the belief that if you act like you are excited about serving they will never pick you. That's because I'm always excited and want to serve and the never pick me. Bastards.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Leslie
I'm of the belief that if you act like you are excited about serving they will never pick you. That's because I'm always excited and want to serve and the never pick me. Bastards.
Half of me was disappointed I wasn't on the jury for the double murder trial...but half of me was relieved. The trial was estimated to last for 3 months...I don't think I could sit in the same chair for hours on end...day after day...without falling asleep.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
It's 'a jury of one's peers'.

We all know you're peerless ...
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:41 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

[Loud voice]

Well, they must be guilty or the police would not have arrested them

[/Loud voice]

Should do the trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.