Reload this Page >

Jury selection and National Insurance

Jury selection and National Insurance

Old Nov 7th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

JackF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jury selection and National Insurance

Hi everyone,

I moved from the UK to the US some years ago but realized this year I didn't close the loop on a few things.

1. Jury service. Is it possible I could still be called for service in the UK? Who would I need to notify of my relocation to prevent this? I am assuming the county council?

2. National insurance. While I did contact HMRC, I don't recall taking care of this. Is there any reason to contact them to let them know? I hadn't paid much in before I left the UK.

Thanks for your help!

JackF
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury selection and National Insurance

Contestants for jury service are selected from the electoral roll, and they will not call people who might still be registered to vote but live outside the UK.

I should contact the pensions office in Newcastle that deals with Brits living overseas, as you never know what you might be entitled to in the future.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:30 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury selection and National Insurance

Not sure about the jury service, but you should make sure you send a P85 to HMRC so your tax status is known and you should contact the NI international office in Newcastle to find out about your options; you should consider paying Class 2 voluntary NI.

FYI you can vote as a UK expat so I wonder if they use the electoral register if there's a chance at being called for jury service?