Jury Duty

Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:49 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jury Duty

Got called up for Jury Duty ( obviously can't do it cos I'm not a USC). So I fills in the form stating my ineligibility and returns it. Even makes a phone call to the court offices to inform them of that. Lo and behold yesterday I receives my juror parking permit and a reminder about my attendance for selection. Yeah I know I will have to contact them again just wondering how I was even put in the pool so to speak? How are potential jurors selected - anyone know?
Has anyone of here done the 12 Angry Men thing ?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Duty

Most likely from DMV records.

I got called September the first year I was here. Then September the third year both before I got my citizenship, so I guess next year I'll get called and have to go.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
Got called up for Jury Duty ( obviously can't do it cos I'm not a USC). So I fills in the form stating my ineligibility and returns it. Even makes a phone call to the court offices to inform them of that. Lo and behold yesterday I receives my juror parking permit and a reminder about my attendance for selection. Yeah I know I will have to contact them again just wondering how I was even put in the pool so to speak? How are potential jurors selected - anyone know?
I was selected within a few months of becoming a USC...my husband was summoned with a couple of weeks of naturalising.

At our naturalising ceremony we were told they get names from various places...list of new USCs, driving licences, property taxes etc.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:19 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Most likely from DMV records.

I got called September the first year I was here. Then September the third year both before I got my citizenship, so I guess next year I'll get called and have to go.
Ahhhh DMV - never thought about that!

Wow they must really want you!!! Hope I get recalled when I am a USC I have always wanted to be on a jury
Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:21 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was selected within a few months of becoming a USC...my husband was summoned with a couple of weeks of naturalising.

At our naturalising ceremony we were told they get names from various places...list of new USCs, driving licences, property taxes etc.
OHH so you did the whole Jury thing?? How cool is that!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

I've been getting then every 2 years or so for 20 years. At first I took the trouble to tell them "I'm a British citizen, expect some payback for that whole 1776 thing".... Now I just drop them through the shredder.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OHH so you did the whole Jury thing?? How cool is that!
My husband's parting words that morning was 'whatever you do make sure you're not picked as jury foreman'. I was and it turned out to be quite a lengthy double murder trial. I was dismissed by the judge at the defence attorneys request. The day before the murders I was shopping in the shoe store next door to the store where the murders took place. The staff in the shoe store were to be called as witnesses...so there was a connection between them and me...which was grounds for dismissal.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:04 am
Professional Drama Queen

Originally Posted by RickWG
I've been getting then every 2 years or so for 20 years. At first I took the trouble to tell them "I'm a British citizen, expect some payback for that whole 1776 thing".... Now I just drop them through the shredder.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband's parting words that morning was 'whatever you do make sure you're not picked as jury foreman'. I was and it turned out to be quite a lengthy double murder trial. I was dismissed by the judge at the defence attorneys request. The day before the murders I was shopping in the shoe store next door to the store where the murders took place. The staff in the shoe store were to be called as witnesses...so there was a connection between them and me...which was grounds for dismissal.
How disappointed were you! I would have been gutted, mind you saying that I don't know quite how I would feel about being on the jury for a murder trial, especially if the death penalty was on the table Probably wouldn't be an issue for me as the selection process would have weeded me out
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

How disappointed were you! I would have been gutted, mind you saying that I don't know quite how I would feel about being on the jury for a murder trial, especially if the death penalty was on the table Probably wouldn't be an issue for me as the selection process would have weeded me out
We were told it would be a lengthy trial...around 3 months and that we would be required to be at the courthouse from 8am to 4.30pm Mon to Fri. TBH my concern as if I had to sit in one place for all those hours I would fall asleep.

The accused murderer was sat only a few yards away. He and two more shot the young store manager and his assistant point blank in the head.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I was on jury duty about a year ago for a misdemeanor fighting and resisting arrest charge. The defense said they would put on witnesses that he was not fighting or resisting arrest and that he was just pulling people from a pile that was fighting.

The prosecutor put on a police officer who arrived at the scene first and grabbed the defendant from the pile stating that the defendant was on his knees and didn't swing or even clinch his fist at the officer. He also said he didn't have any intention of arresting the defendant.

The next witness was the the police sergeant (he was also the shift supervisor) who arrived at the scene about a minute later stating that the defendant was standing and had swung at the other police office so he grabbed the defendant and threw him to the ground ruffing him up a bit.

Because of the vastly conflicting testimony, the defense decided to not put any witnesses on the stand.

In the jury room, I was the main holdout for not guilty because the two testimonies were the exact opposite of each other. I argued that the first police officer had the best view and from his testimony, the defendant was probably not fighting and didn't appear to resist arrest but others argued that since the defense didn't put on any witnesses to counter the sergeants testimony, we should believe the sergeant. After two days in the jury room (6 hours total), I finally gave in and voted guilty.

Although the defendant probably only got a fine and community service, it bothered me since I really didn't believe he was guilty. It wasn't until a couple days later that I think I realized what had happened.

I believe the first police officer told it exactly as it happened but the sergeant overreacted and threw the defendant to the ground and was embellishing the story to cover his ass for being so rough. Also once he threw the defendant down, he almost had to arrest the defendant for resisting arrest and fighting or else he will have a lot of explaining to his boss. I suspect that is what the defense was trying to get across in his closing arguments without directly accusing the sergeant of perjury.

If I had come to that conclusion in the jury room, I suspect I may have been able to convince the other jurors to vote not guilty.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:49 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I was called when I was still a resident but sent the form back stating I was not eligible and never heard anymore!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:19 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I would open with this question -
"....which one of my three personalities do you need to fill out the form?" - "Hey, nine more of me and you have your jury!!..." See how far it gets you.

But I find that sitting on a chair rocking back and forth muttering to yourself tends to get you out of alot.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 3:15 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I've been called twice, for New York. The first time I was a student and couldn't go due to it taking place during examination time. The second time I went. I was asked some questions and dismissed because they didn't like my answers.

It was an assault case (I can't remember if it was sexual assault or not) and I think the question that got me released was about whether or not I would follow the letter of the law in making my decision regardless of my personal opinion of what was "right" or not. I didn't agree with that, as the letter and the spirit don't always match up, and I'd want to know more about the situation and the law before deciding.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I was called twice before I was a citizen. Got out of that by filling in the form. I then got called about a month after I became a citizen in MA. That was for a "civil" trial that lasted about 10 days. It was boring, but at least it got me out of equally boring work for the time it took. I got called again here in CO about 2 months ago. The defense lawyer asked various of us "how would you know if the defendant was lying", and I said "by his body language". He didn't like my answer, so I managed to get out of it that time.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I can only attest to observation here in Los Angeles [which has a one-day or one-trial rule]. The summons does have a check box -- but people would show up anyways and it would be announced that non-citizens cannot serve and they would then be excused.

You don't describe the inconvenience involved, but you might want to show up, smile and show them your green card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.