Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is this a joke

Is this a joke

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:41 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this a joke

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...BC-1482&pos=21
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:21 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Is this a joke

Give a 5 year old a set of crayola's and you'll get one just as good. This one looks almost good enough to stick on the fridge.

Seriously though I remember a lot of eBay sales last year - probably still going on. Some guy in Ireland who seemed to have more works by Picasso and Matisse in his home than most major art Galleries. Or so we are to believe anyway. Pablo & Henri we are meant to believe would have taken the time to sign and date every single unfinished crayola scribble in their scrapbooks, eg. 'H. Matisse October 1948'.

Every single 'work' had the same story to it 'bought it from a dealer at a market stall in Paris but we believe it's genuine you can have it appraised after purchase full refund given if it appears to be fake' etc... SCAM!!!

Every single work was on the same type of grey scrapbook paper and used the same type crayolas or modern art pencils. I find it hard to believe that any work by Picasso or Matisse has no history or provenance at all and that there is absolutely no record of its existence. No previous owner apparanetly ever insured it or recorded the fact he owned it etc... Shocking fact is these blatant frauds were selling to American buyers usually for figures around $500 a piece. The disturbing thing is that some of these will end up in art collections. Although really Caveat Emptor, it was worth considering that Matisse was also a Draughtsman (trust me here know what I'm talking about - becomes almost an obsession) and he as a Draughtsman would never have accepted anything less than perfect. These 'works' were considerably less than perfect.

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Jun 23rd 2005 at 1:29 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a joke

Looks like a spurting knob
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:32 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
Looks like a spurting knob
Did you spot the big nippled bosom top left?
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Got to hand it to the guy, lot of effort in the sale...finding out when the ole duffer popped his clogs, finding daughters name....framing it and all that

And how much have people bid...amazing stuff...
I should do pable crayon inspired pieces myself *lol*
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:22 pm
ImHere

Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) is widely considered to be one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

Err call me an art heathen, but why?

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:26 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
Although really Caveat Emptor, it was worth considering that Matisse was also a Draughtsman (trust me here know what I'm talking about - becomes almost an obsession) and he as a Draughtsman would never have accepted anything less than perfect. These 'works' were considerably less than perfect.
I've got my own Matisse obsession. I've managed to pass it on to my son.

Couldn't scan the whole thing but here's a section of his latest artwork......
Attached Thumbnails Is this a joke-06-23-2005-09%3B23%3B51am.jpg  
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:43 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

pretty good, got to be worth half a mil
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ImHere
Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) is widely considered to be one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

Err call me an art heathen, but why?
Because he invented modern art! He almost single handedly revolutionised the definition of art as being something more akin to philosphy and critical theory, rather than just about what looks pretty on the living room wall. He also happened to really understand the power of image and self-marketing, creating an image of himself as celebrity artist half a century before Warholl.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:51 pm
This board is shite

Talking Re: Is this a joke

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

Hey that looks pretty good.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:56 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Dant3
Because he invented modern art! He almost single handedly revolutionised the definition of art as being something more akin to philosphy and critical theory, rather than just about what looks pretty on the living room wall. He also happened to really understand the power of image and self-marketing, creating an image of himself as celebrity artist half a century before Warholl.
Hmmm, this may be so, but my neighbours 5 year old can create pictures that look exactly like that.

In my personal opinion I think he almost single handedly revolutionised the definition of art as being something more akin to a complete joke that I definitely wouldnt hang on my wall. He's probably laughing in his grave now at all the pretentious posturings about his scribblings. But since I am no art expert what do I know? Apart from I wouldnt buy it for a tenner.

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:04 pm
ImHere

Hey look what I just made in 5 mins in paintshop..any takers at say $100k? I call it "man and cat shat on the mat". I'll even sign it.

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:09 pm
This board is shite

Thumbs up Re: Is this a joke

Originally Posted by ImHere
Hey look what I just made in 5 mins in paintshop..any takers at say $100k? I call it "man and cat shat on the mat". I'll even sign it.

Nice! Worthy of the Tate Modern that is!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:12 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
Nice! Worthy of the Tate Modern that is!
Talking of which does anyone know if Tracy Emmings has died suddenly yet?
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:22 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Talking of which does anyone know if Tracy Emmings has died suddenly yet?
How do you expect to die suddenly? She either died suddenly or didnt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.