Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Joint finances account UK and USA

Joint finances account UK and USA

Old Apr 13th 2020, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Mcnab182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joint finances account UK and USA

If this is in the wrong section, I apologise.

I'm (UK citizen) in the process of marrying an American citizen.
We are planning to get married in the US and then have me move there after the wedding.

In regards to the wedding, there is a lot of stuff we have to pay for.
My question is:

Is there some kind of service (like a joint bank account) that would allow us both to have access to money so we can pay for wedding costs?

I've researched bank accounts but there doesn't seem to be one for exactly what we want - it would allow me to pay in to it, and then allow my fiancè to access the same account in America to pay for the wedding costs?

I hope this makes sense, thanks in advance for any help or information
Old Apr 13th 2020, 10:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint finances account UK and USA

Originally Posted by Mcnab182
If this is in the wrong section, I apologise.

I'm (UK citizen) in the process of marrying an American citizen.
We are planning to get married in the US and then have me move there after the wedding.

In regards to the wedding, there is a lot of stuff we have to pay for.
My question is:

Is there some kind of service (like a joint bank account) that would allow us both to have access to money so we can pay for wedding costs?

I've researched bank accounts but there doesn't seem to be one for exactly what we want - it would allow me to pay in to it, and then allow my fiancè to access the same account in America to pay for the wedding costs?

I doubt they offer a joint account, but your first consideration is the exchange GBP to USD. Other on here have recommended Transferwise and that’s offers a debit card You could use for paying things.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 2:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC might be an option for you. Their international team can usually set up a US account whilst you are still in the UK.
US banks have a federal requirement to verify your identity and most of them will require an in-person visit.
Your fiancee could add you as an authorised user on one of her credit cards? Or you could get one of your own and add her? Another poster recently said he managed to get a Capital One credit card before actually moving using his fiancee's address and an ITIN. . Building credit history before move I think it's on the last page.

Although, the simplest way might be for your fiancee to pay all the US side of the bills and pay it from a savings account which has had money paid into it and you do the same from the UK. Keep a spreadsheet of costs so you can see what has been paid by whom.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 2:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What you seem to be suggesting is a bank account that operates in both the UK and US with no barriers.

Such a thing goes not exist.

The banking regulations differ dramatically between the two countries to the point where such a thing would be impossible. Rules on banking liquidity are one that springs to mind as a base issue.

It will probably be difficult to set up a US bank account in the name of a non-US person, but perhaps not impossible.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only person to benefit from this setup would be the bank making a profit from trading in two currencies at your expense.

Use one account in the country the wedding is taking place and stick with it.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 7:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mcnab182

Take a look at a Transferwise.com borderless account. It comes with a Mastercard debit card, or at least the UK account does. One of you should be able to set up an account in the US and the other can pay into it as well. Not sure it will do exactly what you want, but it is probably the one that would get the closest to it. It was started to be a cross border banking account.

The other advantage it gives is that yourself changing pounds into dollars will benefit from transferwise.com excellent exchange rates.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 14th 2020 at 7:10 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that you're going to get a K1 visa? Do be aware that it'll take a few months after you're married before you get work authorization.

As for your question, have your fiance set up a US bank account and transfer money to it from the UK via TransferWise.