British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Joint Bank Account (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/joint-bank-account-717517/)

lovemygirl May 18th 2011 2:29 pm

Joint Bank Account

Hi everyone,

In order to show that my american fiance and I are serious, we propose to open a joint account, with an American Bank, with her as one signatory in the States, and me as another here.

Despite endless searching I can't find a way to do it, but refuse to believe it can't be done!

Anyone got any suggestions?

tonrob May 18th 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Joint Bank Account

Originally Posted by lovemygirl (Post 9372392)
Hi everyone,

In order to show that my american fiance and I are serious, we propose to open a joint account, with an American Bank, with her as one signatory in the States, and me as another here.

Despite endless searching I can't find a way to do it, but refuse to believe it can't be done!

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm assuming she already has a bank account somewhere. Wouldn't her asking her current bank be a good start?

lovemygirl May 18th 2011 2:39 pm

Small state bank, no branches outside state, let alone America.

tonrob May 18th 2011 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by lovemygirl (Post 9372417)

Can you say more about why you think this is a show-stopper? Do you actually want to use the account or just be named on it?

NatashaB May 18th 2011 2:59 pm

Wells Fargo have an office in London so you can open accounts from the UK - might be a good start.

Would adding eachother as a named user on eachother's credit cards instead (or as well) work?

lovemygirl May 18th 2011 3:05 pm

To our minds it's trying to up the proof that this is a real relationship, and not some Green Card thing. We put it in the same basket as having pictures, emails etc.

Noorah101 May 18th 2011 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by lovemygirl (Post 9372475)
To our minds it's trying to up the proof that this is a real relationship, and not some Green Card thing. We put it in the same basket as having pictures, emails etc.

Having co-mingled finances is not a requirement for the K-1 visa. Don't bother going through that extra effort, unless you truly WANT to have joint bank accounts at the moment.

The ConOff will not expect to see things like this for a K-1 visa. Perhaps for a CR-1 Immigrant spouse visa, maybe...but not the K-1.

Rene

meauxna May 18th 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by lovemygirl (Post 9372417)

Are you looking for a bank with branches in the US and the UK?

ian-mstm May 18th 2011 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by lovemygirl (Post 9372475)
To our minds it's trying to up the proof that this is a real relationship, and not some Green Card thing.

My American fiancee (now wife) and I never had a joint bank account and hers was also a small state bank. It was never an issue.

Ian