British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   jobs in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/jobs-usa-314771/)

p177772005 Jul 19th 2005 2:15 pm

jobs in USA

Hi, I am new to this forum and I'd like to have some advice and information about the pay scale in USA. Let me give some info about my self. I am from India and have just got PR in Canada. My partner is a French Canadian. I was in New Zealand from 2002, March - 2005, March on work visa. I did 3 jobs there which were, pay wise, quite ok for me to live there comfortably. But, there wasn't that much money that I could send home.

Now, my problem is that I have two aunts in USA. My dad's sister is there from last 15 years and my mom's sister is there from last 4 years. According to both of them, they don't have very decent jobs as they don't have much education. But, they earn between 3-4k USD per month. One aunt's son gets 18 USD per hour by working on a petrol pump.

My partner finished his studies in 2003, December and he came to live with me in NZ in 2004, February. Now, he is back in Canada and trying to find a job. He works privately as an IT consultant, makes about 16k CAD a year. My aunts are saying to my parents that with my partner's qualifications and because he is a born n bred Canadian, he should be having no problem in finding a job and salary what they are expecting is like between 8-10k CAD per month.

I do know that it's not very possible. But, I'd like to have an insight on American job market. Like if you really get 18 USD per hour to work on a petrol pump, or if it's very easy to make 3-4k USD per month doing odd jobs?

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

Manc Jul 19th 2005 2:21 pm

Re: jobs in USA

be right back

I'm gonna apply for a job at the Mobil station down the road.

anotherlimey Jul 19th 2005 2:26 pm

Mmmmm $18 per hour for working a petrol pump...

... :confused:...

...that's like $37000 a year for saying hello.

I'm pretty sure pumping petrol would be a minimum wage job.

emmals Jul 19th 2005 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
be right back

get in line big fella.....do they hand greencards out too :D

iaink Jul 19th 2005 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by p177772005
My aunts are saying to my parents that with my partner's qualifications and because he is a born n bred Canadian, he should be having no problem in finding a job and salary what they are expecting is like between 8-10k CAD per month.

96 to 120k CDN p.a.!!!!!!!
Unless hes an IT exec then you Aunts have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. More like 40 to 50k at an entry level. IF he can get an entry level job. and thats a big IF in the current climate. regardless of whether hes canadian or not.

The only easy money in the US is if you get a nice cushy UAW job in the auto plants...but they tend to be handed down from generation to generation I think.

sibsie Jul 19th 2005 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
The only easy money in the US is if you get a nice cushy UAW job in the auto plants...but they tend to be handed down from generation to generation I think.

There are always those jobs in NJ where they pay you to go work on a construction site, but you don't actually have to work. You just sit around with your chums drinking beer. I think you have to be Sicilian to get one of those gigs though.

p177772005 Jul 19th 2005 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
be right back

I hope that you got the job!!!

Like your sense of humour. Only if I didn't have this kind of Indian family or may be at least this kind of relatives who keep lying and gloating about how rich they are in USA, when they are doing kitchen hand jobs.

Only reason I never thought about going to USA or Canada are my aunts. And now I am stuck with them. Only god can help me now!!

Bob Jul 19th 2005 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Mmmmm $18 per hour for working a petrol pump...

... :confused:...

...that's like $37000 a year for saying hello.

I'm pretty sure pumping petrol would be a minimum wage job.

You get $25hr starting, at bath boat yard...admittedly that's filling the tank on ocean going ships, and requires a basic engineering background...

Manc Jul 19th 2005 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
You get $25hr starting, at bath boat yard...admittedly that's filling the tank on ocean going ships, and requires a basic engineering background...

not exactly the same as asking if someone needs regular or premium though is it?

BritGuyTN Jul 19th 2005 4:01 pm

I hope that you got the job!!!

Like your sense of humour. Only if I didn't have this kind of Indian family or may be at least this kind of relatives who keep lying and gloating about how rich they are in USA, when they are doing kitchen hand jobs.

Only reason I never thought about going to USA or Canada are my aunts. And now I am stuck with them. Only god can help me now!!

reality:

$6 CAD pumping petrol
$1500 doing odd jobs in a country with no free healthcare

the likelihood of your partner getting $8-10k CAD per month in the US is remote but not completely out of sight

A friend of mine just moved to Boston from london and has had two job offers between $80k-110k USD per annum

but he has 10 years of experience of working for some of the biggest integrators in the UK on very high end stuff - million dollar Sun and HP RISC machines

krizzy Jul 19th 2005 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
reality:

$6 CAD pumping petrol
$1500 doing odd jobs in a country with no free healthcare

the likelihood of your partner getting $8-10k CAD per month in the US is remote but not completely out of sight

A friend of mine just moved to Boston from london and has had two job offers between $80k-110k USD per annum

but he has 10 years of experience of working for some of the biggest integrators in the UK on very high end stuff - million dollar Sun and HP RISC machines

$80 is a bit low for the Boston area.....but more normal nowadays... since no-ones been given a pay rise up here for years.......everyone is moving down South.....

Steff Jul 19th 2005 6:05 pm

they don't have very decent jobs as they don't have much education. But, they earn between 3-4k USD per month. One aunt's son gets 18 USD per hour by working on a petrol pump.
Thanks

I'll be happy to make that much after I finish college!! And all I had to do was go work at a gas station, who knew :)

LeedsGirl Jul 19th 2005 6:17 pm

Now, my problem is that I have two aunts in USA. My dad's sister is there from last 15 years and my mom's sister is there from last 4 years. According to both of them, they don't have very decent jobs as they don't have much education. But, they earn between 3-4k USD per month. One aunt's son gets 18 USD per hour by working on a petrol pump.

When you say working on a petrol pump what exactly do you mean? I think someone's yanking your chain on that one but I am going to nip down the road to my local four petrol stations and see if anyone is making $18.00 an hour :rolleyes:

fatbrit Jul 19th 2005 6:26 pm

Think folks would be surprised what people taking tips in the service industries can earn. Sure, there are plenty earning bum wages. But find the right position in the right place and with the right smile and right attitude and you can take the figures mentioned here and more.

ladylisa Jul 19th 2005 6:49 pm

I feel a bit diddled as I have to get out of the car to pump my own gas and no bugger gives me $18..