jobs in USA

Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: jobs in USA

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Think folks would be surprised what people taking tips in the service industries can earn. Sure, there are plenty earning bum wages. But find the right position in the right place and with the right smile and right attitude and you can take the figures mentioned here and more.
You tip the gas guy??? Never done that here in Canada...even when its -30C!...which is the only time I pay the extra for full serve anyway. (scottish ancestry )
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You tip the gas guy??? Never done that here in Canada...even when its -30C!

Never! Get my own gas, always! Service at the pumps round here ain't common.

But was thinking of the service industries in general: waitressing, parking valet, hotel and spa industry, hairdressers, etc. I've seen their W2s, and some of them earn far more than your average college graduate would in an office job.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:02 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

You tip the gas guy??? Never done that here in Canada...even when its -30C!...which is the only time I pay the extra for full serve anyway. (scottish ancestry )
I never tip the guy at the pumps......but then the last time I filled my car with gas it cost $1:57 a gallon...
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Think folks would be surprised what people taking tips in the service industries can earn. Sure, there are plenty earning bum wages. But find the right position in the right place and with the right smile and right attitude and you can take the figures mentioned here and more.
I'm arranging an interview at Hooters as I write.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by krizzy
$80 is a bit low for the Boston area.....but more normal nowadays... since no-ones been given a pay rise up here for years.......everyone is moving down South.....
I'm just in the process of doing precisely that -- there's loads of IT work in the WA area, companies are falling over themselves to pay 75-95k for IT consultants, but when an average house costs over half a mil it doesn't go far...

We're going back to North Carolina. Yes, there are the obvious disadvantages (i.e. it's North Carolina) but I can get paid just about the same for my skills as in WA, and buy a nice house for 200k.

True, the lifestyle is very different and well miss the easy going west coast, but I have a family to think about and at least this way we'll be able to live comfortably....
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:51 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm arranging an interview at Hooters as I write.
I'd like a chain orientated to female customers.... Booters? lol
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:23 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
I'm just in the process of doing precisely that -- there's loads of IT work in the WA area, companies are falling over themselves to pay 75-95k for IT consultants, but when an average house costs over half a mil it doesn't go far...

We're going back to North Carolina. Yes, there are the obvious disadvantages (i.e. it's North Carolina) but I can get paid just about the same for my skills as in WA, and buy a nice house for 200k.

True, the lifestyle is very different and well miss the easy going west coast, but I have a family to think about and at least this way we'll be able to live comfortably....
The Carolina's are the place to go...two people from my husbands company moved down there a few weeks ago......no work.......but enough money from the sell of their MA home to not work for years.....or maybe to open something of their own.....they had looked at FL first..but again cost put them off.....
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:38 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Mmmmm $18 per hour for working a petrol pump...

... ...

...that's like $37000 a year for saying hello.

I'm pretty sure pumping petrol would be a minimum wage job.
No wonder the *****ing gas prices are so high. $18 an hour for some illiterate to ring me up seems a bit high. It also seems a bit odd that he says 3-4 K for a job that requires little education (36-48K/yr)....
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
No wonder the *****ing gas prices are so high. $18 an hour for some illiterate to ring me up seems a bit high. It also seems a bit odd that he says 3-4 K for a job that requires little education (36-48K/yr)....
Maybe the actual pay is $6 an hour and the rest is danger money
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
No wonder the *****ing gas prices are so high.
Where? In the US?....you are kidding right I'm paying 92c canadian / liter..which is $2.84 US/gal God alone knows what it is in the UK..80p?/ liter...works out at $5.26 per US gal!!!!

Man. thats a sobering thought!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Where? In the US?....you are kidding right I'm paying 92c canadian / liter..which is $2.84 US/gal God alone knows what it is in the UK..80p?/ liter...works out at $5.26 per US gal!!!!

Man. thats a sobering thought!

Yep -- but most folks in the UK don't drive an 8-cylinder house on wheels with the AC on all the time, and it's not 100 miles just to the next town.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yep -- but most folks in the UK don't drive an 8-cylinder house on wheels with the AC on all the time, and it's not 100 miles just to the next town.
But most people up here do, only its 160Km! AC in the summer cos its 35°C, 45 with the humidity, and AC in the winter to clear the windscreen faster!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
not exactly the same as asking if someone needs regular or premium though is it?
aye, just a bit different
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I get $300 an hour for working the corner down the road; beat that.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:39 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big Vern

That is interesting, in Miami where i live, in the area i live in, house prices are over half a million, but salaries struggle to get to the 75-95k mark, maybe i will move. In fact i probably will move soon, but will leave that destination to my beloveds job and not mine. Mine was what brought us here in the first place, and being made redundant 18 months in has messed things up a bit.... ah well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.