Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jobs and Temping in NYC

Jobs and Temping in NYC

Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:02 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Jobs and Temping in NYC

So, I've been looking for work for a few months now, since the start of this very soggy New York summer, with little success. Trawling the Sunday Times Classifieds and faxing off cover letters and resumes to countless offices and companies that even remotely fit the bill without as much as a peep from them in return.

Last month, I registered with a temp staffing agency here in the city, AppleOne, and again, without success in finding even a little job. My lack of US work experience, in their words, is holding me back for even the most tedious office jobs because obviously, businesses are afraid I won't know how to add, type, or put one foot infront of the other to walk to the toilet.

What I want to know is, for the few who are still reading this and live in New York;
Are there any temping or staffing agencies in the NYC area that you have had success with, or who are particularily good with aiding people with EADs get their first break at some work?

Thanks peeps.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs and Temping in NYC

If people are turning you down for interviews based on you not being American then that's illegal for starters.

In terms of NYC though, I know the job market is tough here - my firm has just had another round of layoffs....

It may be most effective just to approach companies directly - search for jobs on their own websites etc. ring bells, make calls etc.

What kind of work are you looking for?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:34 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

It's not that they are turning me down because I'm not American...I think. Just the guy who interviewed me at the Staffing Agency said that without US work experience, my chances of getting work were slim. Doesn't take an Einstien to work out that that is a very a retarded statement to make, because how the hell are you meant to start off then.

I was expecting to not find work for a good while, my wife told me the fact several times, and I see the news about unemployment in this city everyday. She was out of work for 6 months before she found her current job, and a friend of ours has been to over 150 interviews during the last couple of years without success.

Right now, I'm just looking for general office work, typing, filing, data entry and stuff; nothing special purely for the fact I dont want to land a great job, only to lose it because the NYC BCIS can't process my 2nd EAD in time or something equally insane and probably likely knowing the BCIS.

Also because I'm an 3D animator/designer primarily, and I need to get some money together in order to buy a new PC so that I can build a quality portfolio of work on. In the games industry, no portfolio = no chance of a job, and this PC we have can't handle the most basic of work.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:01 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Peter Newton
If people are turning you down for interviews based on you not being American then that's illegal for starters.
They don't actually say that, but I'm getting a feeling it is happening...
I've read many job postings that say either "Local Candidates only" or "No Relocations" - this is how they get round it.

Last edited by Webbie; Aug 20th 2003 at 3:07 am.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:51 am
Corpsicle

Originally posted by afosuk
They don't actually say that, but I'm getting a feeling it is happening...
I've read many job postings that say either "Local Candidates only" or "No Relocations" - this is how they get round it.
Or, additionally, 'Must have Green Card' or other similar statements. I've seen a few ads like that here.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nathan barley
Also because I'm an 3D animator/designer primarily...
I know Acclaim entertainment have a big location in Melville, NY. Have you tried them...?

Good luck anyway...!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:33 pm
Corpsicle

Originally posted by Peter Newton
I know Acclaim entertainment have a big location in Melville, NY. Have you tried them...?
Yeah, but it's Acclaim
Heheh, seriously, I'd consider them if I had a portfolio, and a car. I've been aiming for jobs in Manhattan for now, because the subway is just down the road.

I did put in an app for work at Atari's HQ in the city, it's not game development, but it's a foot in the door, which is what it's all about here. Fingers x'ed on that.

Last edited by nathan barley; Aug 20th 2003 at 3:36 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nathan barley
I did put in an app for work at Atari's HQ in the city, it's not game development, but it's a foot in the door, which is what it's all about here. Fingers x'ed on that.
Well - that's definitely the way to go. I'll have my fingers x'ed for you.