Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jobs in America

Jobs in America

Old Aug 5th 2003, 8:35 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Jobs in America

I've read some rather interesting posts about the job situation in the States at the moment..... sounds pretty scary. I'm due to move next summer. I will be living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin initially.

It seems while U.S. companys are having a hard time and laying off all their workers, UK companys are posting profits and hiring more workers (just saw a report on BBC this morning). However it is true that certain jobs such as call centres are being relocated to India to cut costs, but overall I think the job market in the UK is quite good.

I work as a software developer for a recruitment provider in the UK. A lot of our clients have just doubled the intake on their graduate recruitment campaigns. In fact as a rough figure recruitment across all of our clients (who are large companys in many different industrys) is up by 30% on the previous year.

So how is it when our economy that is so heavily dependent on US economy/business is flourishing while America seems to be taking a serious dive? The UK also went to war in Iraq and although it didn't spend the same amount as America, it still spent quite alot for a country its size. I just can't understand how the economy that drives the world seems to be falling apart?
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in America

Originally posted by mcjimbo ...... So how is it when our economy that is so heavily dependent on US economy/business is flourishing while America seems to be taking a serious dive? The UK also went to war in Iraq and although it didn't spend the same amount as America, it still spent quite alot for a country its size. I just can't understand how the economy that drives the world seems to be falling apart?
The US economy, wile not exactly booming isn't half as bad as some people would have you believe. Some parts of the country are in a bad way but others are not. Jobs are not easy to find, but there are companies hiring.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you, in common with many others who post here, are tied to one part of the country and can't take a job elsewhere. That may cause you a problem as if you are living in the arse end of a state, in an area with no history of high-tech jobs, a dependence on low skill activities and seasonal work ( ) then you may find it difficult to find a suitable job.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:02 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mcjimbo
I just can't understand how the economy that drives the world seems to be falling apart?
It's a sort of natural cycle. But things are beginning to move in the right direction. You can feel it in the stock market and such. Interests rates are moving up too. It may take awhile, but we'll get there. There's a Presidential election coming up next year and hopefully a Democratic President. Should swing things around. So hang in there. The US economy is still strong....
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:33 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ranjini
It's a sort of natural cycle. But things are beginning to move in the right direction. You can feel it in the stock market and such. Interests rates are moving up too. It may take awhile, but we'll get there. There's a Presidential election coming up next year and hopefully a Democratic President. Should swing things around. So hang in there. The US economy is still strong....
On a positive note, we just refinanced our house at 4.5% to be paid off in 15 years as opposed to the 8.5% 30 yr. mortgage we had earlier. The interest rates have moved up since. Which according to the experts is a sign of a recovering economy. So it hasn't been all bad for us Just waiting for our stocks to regain their original value...