Jobs

Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs

Originally Posted by jackattack
I had an editor who used to work for me consistently reference the Associated Press Style guide.

I've no experience on how this compares to other US style guides but she had a degree from an excellent Uni plus she was a great editor (complete nightmare to manage her but that's not the point).

It may be worth seeing what you can find online to see how this writing compares to what you are used to. It's much more comprehensive than just leaving out some letters in colour and aluminium.

The other top reference is The Chicago Manual of Style. It is worth having a copy of each book as one publishing house will be an adherent of Chicago, and another of the AP!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The other top reference is The Chicago Manual of Style. It is worth having a copy of each book as one publishing house will be an adherent of Chicago, and another of the AP!
Ha. That's it. I knew there was another one she kept harping on about. And yes, it was Chicago Manual of Style. Apparently my editor knew both!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

into_thewild is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one I'll look in to that. It's always good to broaden your horizons anyway. Do either of you still work in the industry?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by into_thewild
Nice one I'll look in to that. It's always good to broaden your horizons anyway. Do either of you still work in the industry?
No longer reporting; still copy editing.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of fast food find a call center to work for. It's a sit down job and you can often work unlimited hours. Just to warn you though I wouldn't come here to work an unskilled job, you won't earn enough to survive unless you can live with family rent free and they have a car you can use.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Well if things go bellyside I can always come back. Hopefully it won't come to that though.
I've did my share of call centre work, both inbound and outbound. A job's a job.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

No. I still have excellent contacts there (major Silicon Valley employer) but they typically need technical writers or advertising copywriters. And they never need to 'take a punt' on an employee since there are so many highly qualified people wanting to work there. Sorry.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
Instead of fast food find a call center to work for. It's a sit down job and you can often work unlimited hours. Just to warn you though I wouldn't come here to work an unskilled job, you won't earn enough to survive unless you can live with family rent free and they have a car you can use.
Also there is the little problem of healthcare....
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

As of now I am healthy luckily I know the odds are well against me in this venture but hey, life's too short and all that
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As of now I am healthy luckily I know the odds are well against me in this venture but hey, life's too short and all that
Are you invincible?

Seriously...appendicitis, kidney stones or an accident and you could be in serious financial do da. Medical treatment and meds are extremely expensive here. FWIW I would not dream of moving to the US without good healthcare insurance.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

As of now I am healthy luckily
You can be blessed with good health, but then there's the incident with the serrated bread knife that jumps off the baguette onto the thumb, the invisible black ice lying in wait while walking the dogs, and the handbrake that doesn't hold while exiting the auto . . . yes, all these utterly ridiculous things happened to me and would have been a financial nightmare if not for HI!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

How did you all get health insurance then?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How did you all get health insurance then?
Most people posting on these US forums have either come over on a work-related visa and the sponsoring company has group health insurance available, or they married a USC who already has some type of health insurance and the foreign spouse gets added to it.

There are a few who come over as students...I believe there is some sort of campus health insurance they can get.

The ones who come over on an investment type visa face the same issues you do...they probably have to buy individual health insurance which is very costly.

There aren't too many dual citizens moving over to the USA, unless they specifically have a job or other family members waiting for them here.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 29th 2012 at 6:51 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
FWIW I would not dream of moving to the US without good healthcare insurance.
Ditto. Too many threads like this one........http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...12&postcount=1

Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Is life in Division 3 really that bad that you have to leave?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.