Jobs

Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

into_thewild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs

Hello, all, hope you're doing well.
I am going to lose my job very soon as a result of cut backs.
I am going to try my luck in the States (I am a dual citizen).
I do have family in the Boston area, however I have a bit of money saved up so I could look in to renting somewhere for a short period while I run around trying to find a job.
Where would I be best going to if I hope to find a job? I've worked as a reporter for the past four years but I know how scarce jobs are - I will work anywhere!
Any advice anyone can give will be gratefully received
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Jobs

So you worked as a journo then?

Those jobs are mostly freelance over here from what I understand, especially given the cost cutting measures in the newspaper industry over here.

Something I would look into is if you could freelance for some of your UK contacts in the US, that might help you get some food on the table. Other than that, if you have a proper British accent and not a face for radio I'd be tempted to look at getting into TV. They like that sort of accent over here.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you I'll keep that in mind.
Of course I'd be willing to work anywhere. One of my main wories is even getting past the first hurdle at the interview as I've never worked in the US before.
Any advice?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by into_thewild
Thank you I'll keep that in mind.
Of course I'd be willing to work anywhere. One of my main wories is even getting past the first hurdle at the interview as I've never worked in the US before.
Any advice?
Make sure you have a US style resume. I've heard they are different from a UK-style one.

Your question is really hard to answer...the USA is huge! On one hand you mention your field is journalism, but then you say you'd be willing to work anywhere. I suppose if that's the case, then to keep the cost of living down, pick a southern state, and if you're really willing to work anywhere, you can probably get work immediately at McDonalds or something.

If you want something other than a fast-food type job, you might try talking to a few temp agencies to see if they have anything for you.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Boston is a good hub for it, but it's brutally competitive.

Also and at a guess for other cold states, certainly here and in Maine, it's really hard to find a short term rental during the winter months, unless it's a sublet or corporate apartments, just because landlords don't want a place empty during winter and they can't kick you out during winter months if you don't pay up.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah like I say I would work anywhere to get some cash on the go. Ill need a car I presume as well......would I need to sit a driving test and get a license?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by into_thewild
Ill need a car I presume as well......would I need to sit a driving test and get a license?
Yes. Check the specific requirements of DMV for the state you'll be living in.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. Check the specific requirements of DMV for the state you'll be living in.

Rene
Journalist jobs are few and far between these days however there are tons of low cost freelance writing gigs available. Check Craigslist etc...
You probably wouldn't make a big deal of money but you could connect with someone to get on the ladder.
I'd do it from the UK though...stick in for a year or so. Build a track record/portfolio.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Journalist jobs are few and far between these days however there are tons of low cost freelance writing gigs available. Check Craigslist etc...
You probably wouldn't make a big deal of money but you could connect with someone to get on the ladder.
I'd do it from the UK though...stick in for a year or so. Build a track record/portfolio.
I agree that there is so much online local reporting these days that decent jobs with publications are hard to come by -- and the publications that remain are shrinking. However, if the OP is a news reporter as opposed to a feature writer, it would be a little difficult to show his US reportorial mettle from the UK!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Ideally I would maybe get a job wherever I could (McDonalds or some such) and do whatever freelance I could on the side. I will also look in to a temp agency though.
I'll also need friends! So I will maybe put out a message on here with whatever state I'm in and see if there's any other Brits about.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:58 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of seasonal work at the moment which could lead to a more permanent deal?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

If you can write, you might try converting into the marketing/communications field. Have writing samples ready.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Also, you don't say if you have ever lived in the States, or if you were educated here. If not, be aware that punctuation is used differently in some cases, which can reflect badly on your work. It would be good to brush up on US punctuation so that your resume can state that you can copy edit in US and UK/Canadian style.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

All good suggestions. If anyone by any chance knows a newspaper that would take a punt on me then by all means let me know :P
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I had an editor who used to work for me consistently reference the Associated Press Style guide.

I've no experience on how this compares to other US style guides but she had a degree from an excellent Uni plus she was a great editor (complete nightmare to manage her but that's not the point).

It may be worth seeing what you can find online to see how this writing compares to what you are used to. It's much more comprehensive than just leaving out some letters in colour and aluminium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.