Jobs

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tone
This was in Mondays St Pete Times, unfarking believable

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/...ts+school+hard

"To examine the buildings' walls, the district again hired Central Testing. In the media center, the company found that 88 percent of the required reinforcing steel or grout was missing. Most of the supporting beams over windows and doors lacked grout. In several places, the roof frame could be moved by hand."

"Then Central Testing released its report on the cafeteria. At least half the reinforcement was inadequate. Two of every three steel beams were bolted into hollow or nearly hollow blocks not strong enough to hold them. The roof was missing welds."

And this is a school

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Tone,
My brother in the UK is a surveyor, not sure which type though. He said the quality of building here is absolutely aweful, and that 'home inspectors', those people that check a house before you buy it are poorly trained. I flew him over to check out 3 houses before buying one and he picked up loads of things the home "inspector" didn't.

Why do you think there aren't any "surveyors" here and why are most construction projects done to such piss poor standards?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 5:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
Tone,
My brother in the UK is a surveyor, not sure which type though. He said the quality of building here is absolutely aweful, and that 'home inspectors', those people that check a house before you buy it are poorly trained. I flew him over to check out 3 houses before buying one and he picked up loads of things the home "inspector" didn't.

Why do you think there aren't any "surveyors" here and why are most construction projects done to such piss poor standards?
I agree. When I bought my house, on teh re-inspection, the inspector missed about $2,000 of dry rot repair that hadn't been done. I think around here everyone knows everyone else, so the inspector just calls the repair guy and says "Did you do the repairs?", and if the repair popele say they did it, the inspector signs off on it.

If you are into this side of stuff (you house professionals), you'd enjoy reading columns by Walter Jowers ("Helter Shelter") in the Nashville Scene. He's a former house inspector (a good one) and he tells all sorts of horror stories about the state of houses in the US.

See http://www.nashscene.com/cgi-bin/art...Helter_Shelter - he writes about other stuff too.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 5:18 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
They sure are.. but with that bad office fire that destroyed them ..Oh no!!! thats not until next week

Maybe England just needs a few hurricane Andrew's or Loma Prieta earthquakes or F-5 tornados to get those inspectors back up to snuff?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 5:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
Maybe England just needs a few hurricane Andrew's or Loma Prieta earthquakes or F-5 tornados to get those inspectors back up to snuff?
No !! this is Tampa we are talking about..
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 6:06 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
No !! this is Tampa we are talking about..

Dooohhh!!!
Iron- engage eyes/ears before engaging fingers/mouth...keep forgetting that.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tone
I'm a QS and it got me here on a H1-B and work on projects across the US. Boring it ain't, frustrating it is, ******* useless architects here, the standard of drawings has to be seen to be believed.

I am wanting to move to US and I am a Quantity Surveyor, I am finding it hard to get any companies to consider me for any posts can you tell me how you got the introduction to your employers.

Any help or knowledge of current posts would help.