British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Job searching before move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/job-searching-before-move-830707/)

vtcarter6 Apr 7th 2014 2:26 pm

Job searching before move

We'd like to have at least a job for my husband lined up before moving (he now has his CR1!) our family of 4 back to US. I realize this is tricky and not necessarily what most people do. But with two young kids, the issue of insurance, etc., this seems the most responsible option if at all possible.

Any views on best ways to increase visibility, get responses, etc? He is experienced management in biotech. We'd like to aim for the Southeast, for example the RTP NC region.

Are recruiters a good idea or bad? How selective can we afford to be given visa and green card's time constraints? Is submitting a cv online to a company in response to a job advert like dropping it into an abyss?

I realize so much of this is unanswerable, just dependent on luck, circumstance, etc. But others who have made the leap, perhaps your experience and insights can help us. Thanks!

Pulaski Apr 7th 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Job searching before move

I tried this, but found pretty much NO tangible interest until I had my feet on the ground in the US despite using a well connected recruiter. Once I arranged a trip to NYC, ahead of immigrating five months later, the recruiter was able to line up five interviews in 2½ days, leading to three job offers, but prior to that trip the recruiter was unable to convert expressions of interest into interviews.

FWIW this was 13 years ago, and not in biotech, but it was at the professional/ managerial level.

I suspect that out-of-country applications through web sites will likely be ignored. Your husband might get some value out of renting a UPS Store mailbox address (They have a "street" address, and then you use "Unit" or Apt" to describe the box number, so unless you're applying for a job very near by, it is unlikely that anyone would know/ notice that it's a PO Box) to use on his résumé, and into get a "local" VoIP phone number.

Noorah101 Apr 7th 2014 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by vtcarter6 (Post 11208290)
We'd like to have at least a job for my husband lined up before moving (he now has his CR1!) our family of 4 back to US.

Since an immigrant visa is only valid for 6 months from the date of the medical, I assume his visa is only valid another 4 - 5 months from now, is that correct?

If so, the chances are not good of him having a job actually lined up in that short amount of time. I would expect he might be able to make some contacts during that time, perhaps a phone interview if he's lucky. But not a job actually lined up, no.

Any views on best ways to increase visibility, get responses, etc? He is experienced management in biotech.
Most people network within their industry, for best results. Cold-call resumes and online job applications don't work well.

Are recruiters a good idea or bad?
Can't hurt to try.

How selective can we afford to be given visa and green card's time constraints?
Not very selective at all.

Is submitting a cv online to a company in response to a job advert like dropping it into an abyss?
Pretty much, yes.

Rene

Pulaski Apr 7th 2014 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11208350)
.... online job applications don't work well. ....

But very often that's all there is, hence my suggest of UPS Store mail box and local VoIP phone number.

BTW there is a fledgling Biotech "hub" in Kannapolis, about two hours west of Raleigh.

Bob Apr 7th 2014 8:21 pm

Using a recruiter can be a plus or a minus...just find one you're comfortable using and stick with that one and don't shoot your info to loads.

The issue with using a bunch is putting yourself out of the market.

A company has a job and 3 recruiters pass on your details, you're going in the bin straight off because the company isn't going to want to figure out or be involved in the fight over who gets the finders fee, which can be 30-50% of the negotiated salary....and because of that fee, some companies might be put off.

Tend to work better for senior roles or niche industry skills.

Everything else, stick to indeed.com and contacting directly and using your LinkedIn network would be the best approach.

Have a time line of when you will be in the US, saying you will be in the US between x and y date to set up residence for instance, so giving a time for meetings will help...being wishywashy about when you're moving is going to put them off.

Hotscot Apr 7th 2014 10:55 pm

And keep in mind recruiters don't really care if you specifically get a job. If there's 10 qualified people on his books he'll push them all and hope that one will stick.

petitefrancaise Apr 8th 2014 8:25 pm

there's a great book called "What colour is your parachute" which is all about job-hunting and it's bang up to date with it's advice.

I think Linkedin is the best way to connect/network for professionals and it's certainly been really good for me.

good luck