British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Job searching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/job-searching-405971/)

ScottMc Nov 3rd 2006 9:23 pm

Job searching

Hi All,

I will be coming over on an L2 in the next few months. I was wondering what resources work out best when searching for employment?

If it makes a difference I'm looking for jobs primarily in the contact centre or mobile telecoms industry as that's where all my experience was gained.

No degree (don't flame me!!! I know this will cause issues), should this change my approach?

Having said that I'm pretty open-minded in what I do and more than willing to make a change and try something new.

Thanks

gardnma Nov 3rd 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Job searching

Originally Posted by ScottMc
No degree (don't flame me!!! I know this will cause issues), should this change my approach?
Thanks

Hello,

Best of luck to you. Yes, you should get some advice on how to tackle this without a piece of paper. Septics are really hung up on credentials (my experience, anyway).

Again, good luck

Dan725 Nov 3rd 2006 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma
Hello,

Best of luck to you. Yes, you should get some advice on how to tackle this without a piece of paper. Septics are really hung up on credentials (my experience, anyway).

Again, good luck

Yes they are, big time. All I can say is, you have to engineer ways to sidestep the HR department completely under these circumstances, provided you have the skills. The HR mongs will drop you for lack of degree, the hiring manager will most likely not if he/she can see you are otherwise more than qualified for the job. If not, you'll hear nothing back, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So the trick is to get to the hiring manager first, who will then tell HR to contact you, and they are then obliged to, as you have already beaten their screen out. So to that end, you need to find out who the hiring manager is, plus their phone number and email address.

The way to get around HR is to research the company to death, discover peoples personal emails and phone numbers and do your own bit of screening out - of the HR department. You might need to make some "pretext" i.e bluffing phone calls as part of your research, to find out who it is you need to speak to, but so be it, just a part of being resourceful.

Good luck - it can be done, but you will have to spend much time finding these loopholes and exploiting them.

Edit - addition - Good sources of information are if there is a professional body that goes along with your industry - often by joining these, you get access to all members phone numbers, emails and addresses, therefore proving you a massive headstart on getting in touch with the right person.

Also, you might (if applicable) get yourself a professional certification that trounces a degree (and is a damn site cheaper to boot, usually!). in my industry, to be eligible for the certification I have, you need 9 years experience without a degree, or 7 years experience with a degree to just be allowed to attempt the examination for certification. Now I have the cert, the degree is becoming less important.

Bob Nov 4th 2006 1:25 am

contact centre? call work?

err....the usual websites, monster, careerbuilder, craigslist etc...and mostly network and hounding....and americanise your CV into a resume, which is different.

BigDavyG Nov 4th 2006 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Bob
americanise your CV into a resume, which is different.

Mine resume is the same as my cv and seemed to work fine.
The typical american style effort just listing jobs and how you saved $5000000 on your last project are utter bollocks anyway.

Bob Nov 4th 2006 2:04 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Mine resume is the same as my cv and seemed to work fine.
The typical american style effort just listing jobs and how you saved $5000000 on your last project are utter bollocks anyway.

depends on your field...more technical stuff, a CV will be fine, but for a lot of places, they like all that touchy feely crap that a resume is all about.

BigDavyG Nov 4th 2006 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on your field...more technical stuff, a CV will be fine, but for a lot of places, they like all that touchy feely crap that a resume is all about.

Fair point - maybe the fact that mine was prob neither one nor the other in the first place prob helped.
I have read some resumes here that have been much more cringeworthy than any cv I ever saw back home.

Dan725 Nov 4th 2006 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Bob

I see it the other way round, at least a lot of the resumes I've read. Some resumes over here are really brief, almost to the point of being pointless. Seems to me if you write quite a bit, as is expected in the UK, a lot of the time they can't be arsed to read it here. HR department anyway, actual hiring person is usually different, hence the need to sidestep HR if possible.

ScottMc Nov 4th 2006 8:45 am

Thanks all - good advice. :beer:

Bob Nov 4th 2006 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
I see it the other way round, at least a lot of the resumes I've read. Some resumes over here are really brief, almost to the point of being pointless. Seems to me if you write quite a bit, as is expected in the UK, a lot of the time they can't be arsed to read it here. HR department anyway, actual hiring person is usually different, hence the need to sidestep HR if possible.

Aye...but a resume is pretty brief, just what your aims are and that your educated, thats about it...for me, it was mostly all about the folio anyway, the resume/cv was just a side note.