British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Job Prospects in Entertainment Industry in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/job-prospects-entertainment-industry-usa-770476/)

bcousins001 Sep 4th 2012 1:03 am

Job Prospects in Entertainment Industry in USA

I know this isn't a visa related question but wasn't sure where else to post. Anyways as the title suggests I was wondering if anybody on this board has any knowledge with regards to positions within the entertainment industry across America.

Obviously my biggest concern is quitting my job, relocating to the US only to not be able to find a job which I think is a risk I am willing to take but if anybody can give me any advice/tips it would be most appreciated

Noorah101 Sep 4th 2012 1:07 am

Re: Job Prospects in Entertainment Industry in USA

Originally Posted by bcousins001 (Post 10262365)
I know this isn't a visa related question but wasn't sure where else to post. Anyways as the title suggests I was wondering if anybody on this board has any knowledge with regards to positions within the entertainment industry across America.

Obviously my biggest concern is quitting my job, relocating to the US only to not be able to find a job which I think is a risk I am willing to take but if anybody can give me any advice/tips it would be most appreciated

You cannot relocate to the USA without an employer sponsoring a work visa for you. You can come as a visitor and job hunt, but that's it. You should NOT quit your job and come to the USA, since you will have no way at that time of remaining in the USA permanently (i.e. relocating).

What is your education level, what position are you looking for within the entertainment industry, and if you are the performer have you done a fair amount of publicized work?

Rene

bcousins001 Sep 4th 2012 1:11 am

Thanks for your quick reply. I would be looking for work as a video editor.

I should have mentioned that the main reason I am inquiring about this now is because I found out last week I got an interview at the US Consulate for an immigrant visa (I entered the DV lottery last year and won) so the visa side is taken care of (hopefully) :)

Noorah101 Sep 4th 2012 1:14 am

Originally Posted by bcousins001 (Post 10262373)
Thanks for your quick reply. I would be looking for work as a video editor.

I should have mentioned that the main reason I am inquiring about this now is because I found out last week I got an interview at the US Consulate for an immigrant visa (I entered the DV lottery last year and won) so the visa side is taken care of (hopefully) :)

Ohhhh that's a huge step in the right direction (entering the USA with an Immigrant Visa).

That said, I guess this is not really the right forum, because this all deals mainly with how to get a visa. You've already got that covered.

Rene

Jerseygirl Sep 4th 2012 1:24 am

Welcome to BE.

You seem to have got the visa side of things sorted...therefore I am moving your thread over to the US forum. Good luck.

bcousins001 Sep 4th 2012 2:37 am

ok no worries thanks. A few weeks ago I came across a thread from a few years ago asking a similar question but can't seem to find it again by searching.

But if anyone has any feedback id greatly appreciate it, thanks

Bob Sep 5th 2012 2:49 pm

All about who you know and who can introduce you...getting in a hub helps, so NYC isn't a bad area.

Chrisdc Sep 7th 2012 3:07 am

Some ideas...

Prepare for the uncertain life of a freelance editor,
Be prepared to take an assisting job at a post house and work your way up.
Use LinkedIn to make connections before you move.
Send your reel to every post house and editor's agent you can find in NY and LA.
Save up so you can cover your rent and food for six months or so.
Move to NY or LA and get networking (no-one will offer to relocate you.)
Be client-oriented, gregarious and helpful.
Be willing to start at the bottom (unless you just edited Downton Abbey.)
Get some spec commercials, short films and music videos on spec for your reel (if you haven't already.)
Be generally more awesome than anyone else....

bcousins001 Sep 7th 2012 4:11 am

thanks for the advice most appreciated

markwm Sep 8th 2012 12:57 am

If you are coming to LA checkout the BritsInLa Facebook group: they are mostly in the business so should be able to give you some pointers.

bcousins001 Sep 8th 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 10269794)
If you are coming to LA checkout the BritsInLa Facebook group: they are mostly in the business so should be able to give you some pointers.

thanks will do

NeCa Sep 8th 2012 10:01 pm

I'm a little confused about the visa situation here (doesn't take much, visas confuse me to no end).

Are you from the UK? I thought UK nationals were exempt from the DV lottery as the UK is a high admission country.

Bob Sep 8th 2012 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by NeCa (Post 10270771)
I'm a little confused about the visa situation here (doesn't take much, visas confuse me to no end).

Are you from the UK? I thought UK nationals were exempt from the DV lottery as the UK is a high admission country.

DV is based on country of birth....also the Irish get to take part.

bcousins001 Sep 13th 2012 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by NeCa (Post 10270771)

I was born in Australia as my parents were working there and moved back to the UK when i was 2

cowtowntaff Sep 15th 2012 4:18 am

Originally Posted by bcousins001 (Post 10279827)
I was born in Australia as my parents were working there and moved back to the UK when i was 2

Since you have the most difficult part sorted the rest is straightforward. Pick a market and network. A lot of editors who go to LA start with trailers. http://www.trailerpark.com/ for example. Otherwise a trawl of Mandy and craigslist can get you started.

LA and NYC, there is a lot of work but it is very competitive and you will probably have to pay some dues as an assistant or an intern unless you're really good, a really good schmoozer or have recognizable credits.

I got fed up with LA pretty quickly and settled in Miami, a city I have fallen in love with. I freelance and find this is the best way to meet people. As such I diversified, as well as post I have picked up gigs as DIT and after proving myself there as AD also.

Outside of SoCal and New York, there seems to be a reasonable amount going on in Chicago and Atlanta for post too.