Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer - opinions please!!

Job offer - opinions please!!

Old Jan 19th 2006, 1:08 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer - opinions please!!

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Just been to my first US interview (after the battles with USCIS to get my EAD!) and I'm 99.9% sure that I'll get offered the job.

Job itself sounds good and I like the guy I'd be working for, but the owner/manager of the company spent most of the time telling me how he thought Brits were work-shy and how did we get anything done with the short hours we worked and when we took naps in the middle of the day (!!??) I answered all his objections which seemed to amuse him, but I lost count of the amount of times he stressed that it's not a 9-5 job (he reckons he works 5am-midnight) and that they don't do vacation time.

I'm aware of the diffrent culture here and have no problem working long hours with hardly any holidays, but I'm not sure if they sound extreme even for the US. As it was my first interview I don't have anything to compare it to so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it all. I'm aware that I'm lucky to get offered a job that I like so quickly given the problems I've read here that people seem to have, but also wary of taking the job for the wrong reasons when I'm unsure about the culture of the company.

Any thoughts? Cheers!
Did you mention you were from Britain & not Spain?!?!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Plus points:
* Can take a long time to find a suitable job; this one's in the bag and looks relevant and useful to your skills.
* If the idiot's as stupid as he sounds (i.e. breaks every employment law in the meager book), work there long enough to gather the evidence, then sue the bastard.
* You're lacking US job experience; this will give it to you.
* The best negotiating position for a new dream job is from a similar job.
* You can always leave if it gets unbearable.

Minus points:
* If you can't stand it for a reasonable length of time, going to look a bit iffy on the old resume.
* It's difficult to get a new job when all you have time to do is work and sleep because of the current one.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:26 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

OMG! I have interviewed many people and I can tell you that he broke so many laws during his interview with you. If you don't get the job, you can always sue him for National Ethnicity discrimination! What a jerkoff!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 4:13 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the job and keep looking. Maybe you'll make contacts for the next job!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pigtails
OMG! I have interviewed many people and I can tell you that he broke so many laws during his interview with you. If you don't get the job, you can always sue him for National Ethnicity discrimination! What a jerkoff!

That did cross my mind I think part of his problem was that he is an immigrant to the US (middle eastern) and obviously though it gave him free reign to say what he liked. The more things I remember I'm starting to wonder if he had a particular problem with Brits - during a conversation about my visa and EAD he commented that 'you lot seem to be everywhere'. (I can only imagine what the reaction would have been had this comment been the other way around). But on the other hand he seemed keen for me to join the company?!

I took the attitude in the interview not to antagonise the situation at the moment because I'd rather the decision was mine to make and not his, but at one point I almost lost my cool and things got a bit heated. He stared at me for a while and laughed and said 'you're fiesty, you'll do well here'.

Suddenly Glasgow is looking quite appealing again.....
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:42 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

. The more things I remember I'm starting to wonder if he had a particular problem with Brits - during a conversation about my visa and EAD he commented that 'you lot seem to be everywhere'. (I can only imagine what the reaction would have been had this comment been the other way around). But on the other hand he seemed keen for me to join the company?!

I took the attitude in the interview not to antagonise the situation at the moment because I'd rather the decision was mine to make and not his, but at one point I almost lost my cool and things got a bit heated. He stared at me for a while and laughed and said 'you're fiesty, you'll do well here'.

well I'm the last one to give anybody job advice..but I'd keep looking if I was you...it all sounds very strange......... :scared:

and why can't an employer ask about kids then? ...I'd say it was a very valid question because if you have kids you have other HUGE commitments and prob won't be avaliable from 5a.m til midnight

signed ..desperate housewife
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
and why can't an employer ask about kids then? ...I'd say it was a very valid question because if you have kids you have other HUGE commitments and prob won't be avaliable from 5a.m til midnight
Basically....because it's against the law.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:14 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

That did cross my mind I think part of his problem was that he is an immigrant to the US (middle eastern) and obviously though it gave him free reign to say what he liked. The more things I remember I'm starting to wonder if he had a particular problem with Brits - during a conversation about my visa and EAD he commented that 'you lot seem to be everywhere'. (I can only imagine what the reaction would have been had this comment been the other way around). But on the other hand he seemed keen for me to join the company?!

OK, I'm not trying to be racist here, but the fact that he is middle eastern and you are a woman could explain his attitude in your interview.
Forget about it, and besides if he had that many issues with you he would hardly be offering you a job.

As for the British thing - well its probably true - we come from the greatest country in the world and that makes a lot of people jealous.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I know the laws here are strong about what questions you can and cant ask and kids is definitely one of them. Why dont you call the nice guy confidentially and ask him about your concerns, maybe you could say your boss seems to have a problem with Brits, who knows he may say that he was just testing you. It might be a way of getting to the bottom of it all and finding out a bit more about this guy. It would be a pity to miss out on it if its a good job. However bear in mind it is your first offer, if you were to have a few more offers think about whether you would consider this job then?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

However bear in mind it is your first offer, if you were to have a few more offers think about whether you would consider this job then?[/QUOTE]

That's the thing that is annoying me, if I had another offer I wouldn't even consider this company. I guess my main fear is rejecting this job and then struggling to get another offer. I have just stated looking in the last few weeks but I'm well aware how hard it can be.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:37 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

and why can't an employer ask about kids then? ...'d say it was a very valid question because if you have kids you have other HUGE commitments and prob won't be avaliable from 5a.m til midnight

Because they can presume things about you that might not be accurate and discriminate against you. They are also not allowed to ask your national origin, your age, your politics, religion, etc.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
OK, I'm not trying to be racist here, but the fact that he is middle eastern and you are a woman could explain his attitude in your interview.

I have to admit that this crossed my mind too, but to be honest if that's the reason then I don't think I would last long working for someone like that before telling him to stick it.

I've also just spoken to the nice guy at the company and asked about the person who was in the job before me and why they left (forgot this question yesterday in my shocked state). Seemed a pretty OK answer but he did let slip that there had been 8 people employed in the position in the last 10 years.....
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:51 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

he did let slip that there had been 8 people employed in the position in the last 10 years.....
looking for Mr/Mrs Right maybe??

I think you'd better follow your gut on this one
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

well I'm the last one to give anybody job advice..but I'd keep looking if I was you...it all sounds very strange......... :scared:

Because it's discrimination against parents/women.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that this crossed my mind too, but to be honest if that's the reason then I don't think I would last long working for someone like that before telling him to stick it.

I've also just spoken to the nice guy at the company and asked about the person who was in the job before me and why they left (forgot this question yesterday in my shocked state). Seemed a pretty OK answer but he did let slip that there had been 8 people employed in the position in the last 10 years.....
8 people in 10 years, now that dose not sound very good, go with your gut feeling, from what I've read I would not put myself though the upset knowing whats most likely round the corner. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.