Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job Offer In Boston :-)

Job Offer In Boston :-)

Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:12 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of
Default Job Offer In Boston :-)

Well I have to say its not all bad on the IT jobs front.

As I had previously posted I got my hands on a Green card last June, and am in the final preparations to move to the US in the next few weeks. I handed in my notice at work two weeks ago and I was planning on going to Washington DC, but at the 11th hour my company have decided to offer me an internal transfer, it’s a very good offer, a considerable amount more then I am currently getting, It was a good but more then I would have thought they would have offered. I am very happy that it is competitive for someone with my level of experiences/qualifications and so on. 17 days vacation, and I will have to pay about $90 for medical/dental/vision per month. If I stay with the company for another 2 years I will be able to get an extra 5 day holiday bonus.
:-) which will bring me up to 22 days.

Of course the only snag is that the Job is based in Boston, and I kind of wanted to go to DC. Ok well its not a snag, as Boston is a great city too, lets call it a change to my plans, Also more slightly bad news: As I initiated the transfer they are not offering me any remuneration, which kind of sucks, there is no real business need for me to go there, but rather then me leaving they are making the offer, but the offer they have made definitely takes that into account. Although that said I was going to the US anyway, so I was going to have to cover my costs so its not the end of the world.
I have more then enough saved to cover them, and this way I have a decent job to walk into when I get there; I will have very little disruption in my salaried income. Going to try and get 3 weeks unpaid to get my self sorted out over there.

I lived in Boston one summer so I know it fairly well. I reckon for the first while I will go for a house share some where along the red line, ideally Cambridge. Its all very exciting!  I reckon the fact that I will be able to stay doing the exact same job as I do now, only in another office will help me to adjust to life over there. I will also be in contact with people the office here at home on a daily basis.

After all the doom and gloom of “there are no jobs in IT here” and “your crazy coming over here” I just thought people might like to see that there are still good opportunities over there.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer In Boston :-)

Could just be a coincidence, but I know the company I'm at in the Boston area is actively looking to hire software people, despite all the doom and gloom. HR say so many IT people aim for California that Boston gets a bit forgotten and people just aren't willing to move so far.

Who knows if that's really the case, but it's a nice theory.

Congrats!

PS. Wicked vacation allowance BTW... you did well!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, moving costs for a job are considered tax deductible if you're the one paying the costs (which you clearly are). Come tax time, you might be able to get back some of the costs you'll incur. Remember to hang on to all your receipts for flights, shipping, etc, etc.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...173193,00.html

Last edited by hobbes79; Aug 25th 2008 at 1:15 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:07 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Could just be a coincidence, but I know the company I'm at in the Boston area is actively looking to hire software people, despite all the doom and gloom. HR say so many IT people aim for California that Boston gets a bit forgotten and people just aren't willing to move so far.

Who knows if that's really the case, but it's a nice theory.

Congrats!

PS. Wicked vacation allowance BTW... you did well!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, moving costs for a job are considered tax deductible if you're the one paying the costs (which you clearly are). Come tax time, you might be able to get back some of the costs you'll incur. Remember to hang on to all your receipts for flights, shipping, etc, etc.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...173193,00.html
Thanks for the tip! Shipping and accommodation for the first while and a hire car will come to about $2k I reckon so I will make sure to hang on to all the receipts. Great to know!
When I get over there, I intend to “educate” my self on the US tax system. From what I have read so far its fairly complex. Thankfully complex is what I do best ;-)
Although I am sure I will be using someone for my returns for the first few years.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Pick Boston ..... I have spent serious time in both cities and Boston is far better
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Pick Boston ..... I have spent serious time in both cities and Boston is far better

I agree with Patrick. My nephew and his wife both are DC Attorneys and live in the 'burbs in Northern Virginia. My daughter lived in NoVA for several years as well. Of course, the nice but I prefer Boston any day and life doesn't shut down for snow in MA as it does in DC.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:19 pm
Boston Sep 15th

Originally Posted by Rete
I agree with Patrick. My nephew and his wife both are DC Attorneys and live in the 'burbs in Northern Virginia. My daughter lived in NoVA for several years as well. Of course, the nice but I prefer Boston any day and life doesn't shut down for snow in MA as it does in DC.
lol, well to be honest as soon as I was told the offer the decision was made. I do have a preference for Boston, but I had personal reasons for going to DC. At the end of the day its the $$$$ that count, and I have to be practical. I could be months trying to get a job in DC, this way I get to go to Boston and DC will still be there in 6 months or a year. I reckon I may get very fond of Boston though. It’s a fantastic start for me in the US though I reckon. Now all I need is to find some where to live when I get there in a few weeks. I know a few people there, but not all that well. I know all the people that I will be working with as I have been dealing with them for the last few years already so that will help somewhat.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Plus you'll find no lack of Irish culture in Boston
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Plus you'll find no lack of Irish culture in Boston
just go on holiday for paddys day

As for boston, loads of threads on the place for info that'll be useful.

If your in IT, the software mile that's I-95 through Burlington, that's in shitting distance of down town, anyway, pretty much every company has a set up there, Nokia, Autodesk, Sophos, Symantec, BAE, Dassault Systems, AGFA, Oracle.

Bugger all to do in Burlington mind, the mall is cute but not large and the towns a bit of nothing and depending on which way your travelling up 95, you might want to shoot yourself

Oh, and if your stumping for a rental, get AAA membership as you get discount rates, I forget who with, either Hertz or Enterprise.

Nice time of year to move over...though it sucks in winter, nice and warm, but unless your in beantown, generally, they don't have a clue how to clear the roads, except the pike....housing, insurance and especially heating oil is a arse burner.

the plus side, least the local sports teams aren't to bad
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:50 am
Just Joined

gmdale is an unknown quantity at this point

couldn't agree more. Get everything here - nice summers - actually pretty hot. pretty autumns.. and snow in the winter!

it has some character - unlike DC (at least IMHO) and is more like a mini city than a really big one..

Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:55 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmdale
couldn't agree more. Get everything here - nice summers - actually pretty hot. pretty autumns.. and snow in the winter!

it has some character - unlike DC (at least IMHO) and is more like a mini city than a really big one..

Yep...and you've got New York down the road and Maine up the road
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
Yep...and you've got New York down the road and Maine up the road
down side, you've also got Mass-holes on your door step

but naaa...it's not that bad....the driving is though.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:56 pm
Boston Sep 15th

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have never been happy with the weather here in Ireland, but I am not sure if I am ready for the full might of a Boston winter. I have just got my self a nice warm jacket so I should be ok! I will be buying a car as soon as I arrive so I am hoping not to have to spend too much time in the elements.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by starky
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have never been happy with the weather here in Ireland, but I am not sure if I am ready for the full might of a Boston winter. I have just got my self a nice warm jacket so I should be ok! I will be buying a car as soon as I arrive so I am hoping not to have to spend too much time in the elements.
The winters aren't that cold and there ain't that much snow in Mass, not in Boston.

Getting a car, well the DMV is possibly one of the most painful aspects of living in this state, so when you find a nice insurance agent that offers a runner service, use it, was the best $15 ever spent getting them to register the car, get the plates and all that faff. I'd recommend the bloke, but if your in beantown proper, it'll be a bit of a hike to the burbs.

Oh, and the elements, it's not so much being out and about, that's the easy bit, it's the stuck in the car waiting for it to warm up, or being stuck in the traffic that can be fun, it took me 4.5 hours to get 2 miles last winter when there was a bit of a bad storm, that's how rubbish they are at clearing the roads when your out of the centre of town.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:24 pm
Boston Sep 15th

Originally Posted by Bob
The winters aren't that cold and there ain't that much snow in Mass, not in Boston.

Getting a car, well the DMV is possibly one of the most painful aspects of living in this state, so when you find a nice insurance agent that offers a runner service, use it, was the best $15 ever spent getting them to register the car, get the plates and all that faff. I'd recommend the bloke, but if your in beantown proper, it'll be a bit of a hike to the burbs.

Oh, and the elements, it's not so much being out and about, that's the easy bit, it's the stuck in the car waiting for it to warm up, or being stuck in the traffic that can be fun, it took me 4.5 hours to get 2 miles last winter when there was a bit of a bad storm, that's how rubbish they are at clearing the roads when your out of the centre of town.
Do you have any idea what my chances might be of getting a contract phone from ATT? I have no problem giving them a deposit, I have read a few posts were people have given deposits and gotten contract phones, deposits are then refunded after a year or so. The thought of messing about with credit phones is not a good one
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
it's not so much being out and about, that's the easy bit
I noticed that. It actually reminds me of Texas, where I would jump from my air conditioned house, to air conditioned car, to air conditioned office.

Now I jump from heated house, to heated car to heated office.

Still means a few months of the year, you won't see me outside much!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.