Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Atlanta

Job offer in Atlanta

Old May 1st 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Atlanta

Nineteen years living about 90 miles from Atlanta in podunkville and I've also never seen a pro-slavery bumper sticker!

I, too, agree that there's nothing 'pretty' about the city. Just like any big city, there are affluent regions and no-go areas too. If you believe the news, all the ATL has to offer is shootings and apartment fires!

I have a friend who lives at Atlantic Station on the 26th floor and goes to a lot of the festivals and things that are going on, including a bird's eye view of Dragon Con, of which she posts pictures on Facebook every year. She hosts a July 4th party each year and we get a view of at least 20 different major displays and hundreds of smaller ones too,
Old May 1st 2017, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps because I love Atlanta's history so much I see it through rose-colored glasses. Beautiful Oakland Cemetery, the historic Fox Theater in all its art-deco glory, the quaint birth home of Martin Luther King in the Old 4th District, even Margaret Mitchell's atmospheric apt. "The Dump" which is now a museum. Buckhead, which is the location for the play and movie "Driving Miss Daisy" is stunning as is downtown Peachtree Street with its hills and valleys. But I'm also a city person so perhaps I see beauty where others see something else.
Old May 1st 2017, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

I've driven through Atlanta 3 times on the way to the airport. Once I went straight through on the 85 and after that experience I now use the 285 (which isn't all that much better). I think Atlanta has a reasonably nice skyline at nighttime.

I've never seen any slavery buyer stickers anywhere ever. I see a fair few confederate flags though but who am I to tell people what to do when I don't really understand the meaning of it myself.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

atlanta355 is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is funny. I have lived in Atlanta (Buckhead) eight year years and its a fantastic place to live. Probably one of the best in the US if cost of living/quality of life is taken into account. 70K a year is not a lot but you can live as a family of 4 in a decent school district on this if you live in one of the suburbs.

I also think Atlanta has one of the highest British populations in the US. I literally hear UK accents everywhere and there are two other British families on my street and lots at my at my kids school.

Please ask me any specific questions on Atlanta if needed.

Last edited by atlanta355; Jul 21st 2017 at 7:12 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
This is the point though, the 'beautiful neighborhoods' aren't actually in Atlanta, they are in the surrounding Metro area.

Still you couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere near there. I am about 90 minutes away and happier for it!

That said, you can't get away from it. A man from Atlanta shot a Sheriffs Deputy from my County last week and fled back to Atlanta. The FBI shot and killed him, but not before he shot an agent and killed someone else.
You sound like you have never been to Atlanta. Buckhead, Ansley Park and Druid Hills in the city are some of the nicest places in the US if not the world to live, and yes I have lived in London, NYC and SFC before in case you ask. Heck British architects designed most of Atlanta's fantastic parks based on UK parks of the Capability Brown era. That's why so many super rich choose to live and retire here. People reading this thread should google theses areas to make their own decisions and you need to visit the city again and do more than ride on the Marta.

Last edited by atlanta355; Jul 21st 2017 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlanta355
I have lived in Atlanta (Buckhead) eight year years and its a fantastic place to live.
If you like Buckhead so much, why are you moving to Marbella?

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you like Buckhead so much, why are you moving to Marbella?

Ian
Job relocation to southern Europe (my choice where) otherwise we would stay in Atlanta. Will probably move back when kids our older so they can go to GA tech.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlanta355
You sound like you have never been to Atlanta. Buckhead, Ansley Park and Druid Hills in the city are some of the nicest places in the US if not the world to live, and yes I have lived in London, NYC and SFC before in case you ask. Heck British architects designed most of Atlanta's fantastic parks based on UK parks of the Capability Brown era. That's why so many super rich choose to live and retire here. ....
All cities and towns in the US, small and large alike, have a surprisingly large number of "super rich" people. .... The town nearest to me is pretty much a run-down basket case, with plenty of areas to stay out of after dark, and yet there are a number of very large houses and several true "mansions" surrounded by fairly undesirable areas on all sides. Even a notorious rust belt city like Detroit has a sizeable embedded enclave, called Grosse Pointe, of mega rich people.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Even a notorious rust belt city like Detroit has a sizeable embedded enclave, called Grosse Pointe, of mega rich people.
I remember the film.