Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Atlanta

Job offer in Atlanta

Old Apr 29th 2017, 9:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Atlanta

I wouldn't live in Atlanta for double that honestly.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I wouldn't live in Atlanta for double that honestly.
Agree. My OH is there this weekend. Atlanta, GA Fayetteville, NC and Gastonia, NC are his least favorite places.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 2:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aless02
$70k is better considering OP said accommodation is included. Also really depends on what salary he was on the UK to see what the family's standard of living is.

I get the feeling that the OP meant the usual paid-for accommodation while they find a house -- not for the duration of the contract.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 2:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I get the feeling that the OP meant the usual paid-for accommodation while they find a house -- not for the duration of the contract.
I also suspect that the OP doesn't realize that "employer-provided health insurance" isn't free, and the insurance premiums alone will cost hundreds of dollars a month. There will also be deductibles such that they will end up paying anywhere from hundreds to low thousands of dollars a year in non-covered medical expenses (copays and deductibles).

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 29th 2017 at 2:58 pm.
Old May 1st 2017, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW, I live around the Denver/LKN area in NC. Moved here about 18 months ago and absolutely love it. I'm so happy I chose the south over San Jose.
Old May 1st 2017, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If I might be so bold as to translate for those who haven't heard of the unincorporated one-horse-town known as Denver, NC, it is on the north fringes of Charlotte, NC, near to Lake Norman (LKN).
Aaaah, You've been here?
Old May 1st 2017, 3:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If I might be so bold as to translate for those who haven't heard of the unincorporated one-horse-town known as Denver, NC, it is on the north fringes of Charlotte, NC, near to Lake Norman (LKN).

Originally Posted by capin
Aaaah, You've been here?
No, I don't believe there's any reason to.
Old May 1st 2017, 3:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

NC is wonderful, so I have been told.

Somebody who is needed and whose Employer will wait 18 months at least suggests mega bucks.
Old May 1st 2017, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wigwham
Yes they are to sponsor us with the visa and yes it is classed as a job an American can not do therefore why he is asking my husband to come over as the one English guy that is qualified has been unable to train anyone American to the standard required.
I'm worried that the salary isn't good I suspected as much and I don't want to uproot my children and business which is steady but not amazing . I have been to Atlanta and I did like it. I went in November though and I've never been in summer. My husband has been quite a few times to visit our niece and family and he loves it. I was slightly shocked by some of the pro slavery stickers on bumpers that I saw tbh and I know everywhere does have issues. Food for thought many thanks for your replies so far
I've never seen a "pro-slavery" bumper sticker anywhere, lol! Confederate flags, yes. Atlanta has had black mayors for years and the city council of Atlanta is primarily black. In the late 1980s, many African-Americans left the north for Atlanta which was a hot spot for employment and racial harmony. This, after some incidents in NYC. It's a great city that I've visited often: it has always had a reputation for being more "northern" than the rest of the slower-paced south. It's very pretty and you can still see the trenches built by General Sherman surrounding the city!
Old May 1st 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by NYer
I've never seen a "pro-slavery" bumper sticker anywhere, lol! Confederate flags, yes. ....
Me neither, and that was my first thought too. I still think there has been a misunderstanding of what she saw.
.... Atlanta ..... It's very pretty ....
I've never head anyone call Atlanta "pretty" before.
Old May 1st 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pulaski;12242019]Me neither, and that was my first thought too. I still think there has been a misunderstanding of what she saw.

Pulaski, I thought the same thing. I just can't imagine a "pro-slavery" bumper sticker being openly tolerated, and certainly not in a city with a huge African-American population like Atlanta.

The Confederate flag is another story. It is both a divisive, and very complicated, symbol in the US South.
Old May 1st 2017, 1:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I've never head anyone call Atlanta "pretty" before.
I've taken the Marta right the way through the city before (Chamblee - Hartsfield-Jackson Airport) and 'Warzone' was more what I got out of it!
Old May 1st 2017, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken the Marta right the way through the city before (Chamblee - Hartsfield-Jackson Airport) and 'Warzone' was more what I got out of it!
Public transit always seems to go through the inner cities of America! But there are many beautiful neighborhoods.
Old May 1st 2017, 2:23 pm
Often not so civil...

This is the point though, the 'beautiful neighborhoods' aren't actually in Atlanta, they are in the surrounding Metro area.

Still you couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere near there. I am about 90 minutes away and happier for it!

That said, you can't get away from it. A man from Atlanta shot a Sheriffs Deputy from my County last week and fled back to Atlanta. The FBI shot and killed him, but not before he shot an agent and killed someone else.
Old May 1st 2017, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

This is the point though, the 'beautiful neighborhoods' aren't actually in Atlanta, they are in the surrounding Metro area.

Still you couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere near there. I am about 90 minutes away and happier for it!

That said, you can't get away from it. A man from Atlanta shot a Sheriffs Deputy from my County last week and fled back to Atlanta. The FBI shit and killed him, but not before he shot an agent and killed someone else.
Buckhead is Atlanta - right at the end of Peachtree. Oh, well, I've lived in NYC for 30 years now so I generally know how to manage within the inner cities and deal with street crime. Perfectly happy the FBI took him out if that's all true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.