Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job and life in Boston questions :)

Job and life in Boston questions :)

Old Jan 14th 2021, 6:49 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job and life in Boston questions :)

Originally Posted by civilservant
He retired from BE. He is missed
Yes his compliment on a post many years ago postulating if a foreigner consummating a marriage in NV could be seen as “work” because it’s something USC there are paid to do legally was the ultimate BE compliment...
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

bostonwilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
Thank you for all the replies! Please excuse my delay in replying, I read the first reply when the email notification came in and didn't bother checking for any others I'm afraid...
I'm reading now and I'll reply back in due course.
Cheers

Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Olly_
Do you actually have a visa sorted? It sounds like you're going to get a H-1B, are you aware that they are subject to a lottery so you may not get selected and even if you are you won't be able to enter the USA until October at the earliest?

You probably can't import your car unless it's over 25 years old.
Hi Olly,
No, visa will be sponsored by the employer and I know it's not a given, which is why I need to be nice to my current employer too

Why do you say October? Due to COVID restrictions?

Yes I think I've dropped the car idea, it's only 5 years old.

Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Medical plans these days do not have limits on the amount of cover as per the Affordable Care Act
Monthly premiums, deductibles and co-pays mean that US medical insurance is expensive - even with a group scheme. Budget several hundred dollars a month to cover. From your postings you have wife and 2 children.
If you go out of network (emergency treatment out of your local area for example) then you can expect to pay more out of pocket for the treatment - one can't take out another policy just to cover out of network treatment.
Some plans cover overseas travel, some don't. You need to check this with your employer.
Hi SanDiegogirl,
Thanks for the helpful reply and suggested budget.
Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonwilly
Hi Olly,
No, visa will be sponsored by the employer and I know it's not a given, which is why I need to be nice to my current employer too

Why do you say October? Due to COVID restrictions?

Yes I think I've dropped the car idea, it's only 5 years old.

Cheers
H1B visas are always an April application for an October start. That's the law.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Most of these questions you should be asking the recruiter; not here.

Workers in American can be fired at will, without notice and without any type of compensation, garden or otherwise.

2 to 3 weeks is normal vacation time as the recruiter advised and then you will have the mandatory public holidays and if lucky, sick/personal time. And, no, you cannot usually take all that time at once.

Sounds like you are being recruited for an H-B visa which isn't the best of visas that being reserved, IMHO, to the L visas. Is it a capped or uncapped position. If capped, then I believe your getting the visa is you accept is not guaranteed. There are only so many H visas available annually and it is a lottery system as to who is one of the lucky chosen.
Hi Rete,
Thanks for the helpful advice.

Yes I did ask the recruiter, but they work for the company don't they? I was looking for some independent advice. Or have I misunderstood and a "recruiter" in the USA is somewhat independent?

I will insist on some sort of notice period, I think at least a month is reasonable.

I don't know if the position is capped or uncapped, I've got no idea, I'll find out.

Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

.... and since it is a lottery not everyone who applies for the visa gets it...... so don't do anything to jeopardise your current job !
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Wow! I don't think the company knows that! That will probably scupper the whole process.

Thanks for the warning!
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete,

I will insist on some sort of notice period, I think at least a month is reasonable.

Cheers
As you are applying for the job and not them asking you to move, what if they say no to your insistance on a month's notice .... deal breaker?
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow! I don't think the company knows that! That will probably scupper the whole process.

Thanks for the warning!

Sounds like the company is not used to bringing in foreign workers then........ small company?
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
MA is employment at will so your employer can fire you the same day without a reason.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ma...nt-termination
Unless you negotiate a severance you may not get anything. Gardening leave is normally related to a paid non-compete, they are questionable in MA after changes in the law there so less likely, but even if you have one, you will be terminated so your H1b status would not be valid unless you find a new employer and you would have to settle up your affairs and leave.

Health insurance is complicated. At one end of the spectrum a family plan with low deductible / co-insurance /max out of pocket will cost your employer and you about $5-6k a month for a family (expect to maybe have a 80/20 split in premiums between you employer and a pre tax deduction from your salary, but the split can vary a lot)... then you pay all the out of pocket costs which could be up to $2-3k for a year maximum. At the other end of the spectrum a HDHP will run about $1700 a month for a family, but aside from some preventative care basics the plan won’t pay anything till you meet your deductible/out of pocket maximum that will be in the $12-16k a year for the family (individuals will be lower), this can be offset with a Pretax HSA. Some larger employers will offer multiple plans and others may only offer 1.

a 4% 401k match is somewhere in the middle, I have seen lower and higher... note if your only there a few years your match may never “vest” as some employers put in a wait time if a year or 2 i.e. if you leave they keep their match contributions and you keep yours.

If your coming from France you may be used to 30+ vacation days plus public holidays... you may be offered a lot less in the US... or they may match your current allowance... as with most private industry jobs here... it’s mostly down to negotiation.

The biggest issue you may want to consider is making sure a move back home is included if things don’t work out... it would suck to move and take a lease and buy/lease a car and then be fired and have lots of financial commitments to settle before you have to depart in a couple of weeks after being fired. The US is not like France when it comes to employee protection...
Hi tht,
Thank you for the detailed reply. These healthcare costs are an eye opener!

Thanks for the tip about 401k contributions vesting, I didn't know that was a possibility.

You're absolutely right about the financial risks of losing the job and having loads to pay out and return home at short notice. So far this and healthcare costs are the biggest eye opener.

Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
My 2 cents are in line.
Hi Tom,
Thank you for the replies, much appreciated.
Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like the company is not used to bringing in foreign workers then........ small company?
Yes, it's a startup, just over 100 employees.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

As you are applying for the job and not them asking you to move, what if they say no to your insistance on a month's notice .... deal breaker?
Yes probably.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's a startup, just over 100 employees.
Something tells me there are several country miles between their expectations as an employer and immigration law.

I am not sure you should spend that much more time pursuing this.

Last edited by civilservant; Jan 14th 2021 at 7:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.