Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job and life in Boston questions :)

Job and life in Boston questions :)

Old Jan 13th 2021, 12:37 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job and life in Boston questions :)

I was an engineering manager when I first came over here, albeit Austin not Boston. You should probably expect to work at least 45 hours a week, significantly more when necessary which is likely at times. Many companies offer 2 weeks leave to new recruits so the 2 to 3 weeks suggested by your recruiter sounds about right. Taking 4 or 5 weeks would probably not be appreciated. The leave is likely what they call Paid Time Off, PTO, and includes sick leave so do not plan on being sick and taking vacation. Check with your recruiter on that one. The higher level the position the more the company will think that they own you, and will require you to do what it takes to get the job done. If you are at a reasonably high level expect to have to field calls and emails on the weekends, evenings and vacation.

You could reasonably expect 2 weeks notice although there is usually no requirement to provide anything. Since you will be high and dry if you were let go I would try to negotiate severance pay if you can, as well as a package to get you back to whatever country you would need to go to. You would have a short amount of time to leave the country and it will be expensive, If they are not willing to negotiate such a package that would be a red flag for me.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Jan 13th 2021 at 12:46 am.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
My 2 cents are in line.
The company will match 4% of contributions to a 401k plan. To me that's analogous to a defined contribution pension scheme, is that right? Is 4% good, average, poor?
  • A 401k is not a pension scheme in the slightest. From limited experience 4% is average.
I think there are many ways in which a 401K IS analogous to a defined contribution pension scheme. Contributions go in pre-tax, grow tax free and cannot be used without penalty until you reach a certain age, after which income will be taxed. What am i missing?

Last edited by newadventure; Jan 13th 2021 at 6:23 pm. Reason: Make quote more obvious
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:09 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife may be able to get an Employment Authorization Document, EAD, under the H4 visa. If she is approved she will have less employment restrictions than you have, which is a little strange. See here for details.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...endent-spouses

You should talk to your recruiter about a path to a Green Card with your new employer. You don't have to go all the way but it is definitely an option that you will want. If an employer agrees to that, then it is normal for them to require you to repay all the associated costs if you voluntarily leave employment before a specified amount of time has lapsed.

If you have any savings outside of a regular deposit account, then you should liquidate them BEFORE you become subject to US taxes which is the day you arrive. If you sell any investments held in a Unit Trust, OEIC or any shared pool type of investment (including anything in an ISA) while you are subject to US taxes, you will be killed on US taxes, plus you will be in paperwork hell when you file your taxes. It does not matter when you purchased the investment, they will tax you on the entire profit at punitive rates, plus interest for all the years going back to when you originally bought, regardless of whether you were in the US or not when you purchased.

All the replies to your original question sound a little harsh, but employment in the US is tougher than it is in Europe or the UK. The work/life balance is usually tipped heavily in the work direction. You could get lucky with your new employer but expect to work longer and harder than you do in Europe.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents are in line.
Gosh..... I'm impressed, well done....
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonwilly
Hello everyone,

I know that's quite a list, but is there anything else you think I should bear in mind?

Thanks
In case the job goes south or YOU want to return to the UK prematurely, you could consider getting a repatriation agreement in any employment letter you get. ie that company will pay for flights back and transport of household good. As it appears you are applying for a new job, and not being transferred by your current company (whereby your company approached you to move) you may, very well, not get this concession.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:24 pm
Furby

On the life insurance and disability options. Most companies provide an option for you to improve upon the default company provided benefits at your cost during what they call Annual Enrollment, which is usually in the fall, or when you first join, or have a significant life event like the birth of a child, marriage, divorce, etc. Most companies will offer no cost death benefits of 1x or 2x your salary but will allow you to buy up to 5x, subject to proof of health. Some companies will allow you to buy up improved long and short term disability packages. The cost tends to be quite reasonable. Ask you recruiter for more details on those options.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:32 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents are in line.
Why do you say there won’t be a contract? Every job I have had in the US has had a contract/agreement. This has been as basic as an offer letter with terms to with a place to sign/accept, ranging up to a 15+ plus one with everything covered. While it might be true that no written contract is required I doubt that is the norm for a role in tech or finance... that said pretty much everything in it will be for the benefit of the employer NOT employee....

Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:58 pm
Furby

Originally Posted by tht
Why do you say there won’t be a contract? Every job I have had in the US has had a contract/agreement. This has been as basic as an offer letter with terms to with a place to sign/accept, ranging up to a 15+ plus one with everything covered. While it might be true that no written contract is required I doubt that is the norm for a role in tech or finance... that said pretty much everything in it will be for the benefit of the employer NOT employee....
Totally agree. If there is no contract I would run a mile.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Negotiate all this BS before you come over. Otherwise they will own you.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The OP asked for examples of 'typical contract terms' for engineering manager. I agree that there are no 'typical contract terms' for an engineering manager - or indeed no 'typical contract terms' for any job in the US It's what you and the employer can agree on for your particular job and your specific circumstances.

I think the OP is looking for a document which, apart from the specific details for his job, also sets out mandatory employment rules - labor laws? In an 'at will' state there are few if any.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I think the OP is looking for a document which, apart from the specific details for his job, also sets out mandatory employment rules - labor laws? In an 'at will' state there are few if any.
As I understand it, in MA the only thing an employer cant do is discriminate against a protected class.

Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:22 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The OP asked for examples of 'typical contract terms' for engineering manager. I agree that there are no 'typical contract terms' for an engineering manager - or indeed no 'typical contract terms' for any job in the US It's what you and the employer can agree on for your particular job and your specific circumstances.

Going to a site like this and putting in MA shows you a pretty boilerplate contract.. that said as always the devil is in the details.. I suspect what the OP really wants to know is the average “blanks”are.... for that he should try Glassdoor or a site like that if his offer is from a large enough company or search the closest competitor...

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/busines...yment-contract

But the OP should start the other way around anyway.. take gross comp, subtract things like healthcare and tax and then then look at the net to make sure they can survive on that based on where they want to live and desired lifestyle .... Boston is a high cost city like most others on the East and West coast...
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonwilly
Hello everyone,

I'm in the final stages of recruitment for a job in MA. The position will be a engineering manager role. I have not got a good understanding of how employment works in the USA, but my impression is that employees have negligible rights compared to the UK so I'd like to make sure I've got my contract watertight (or as far as possible). I've also got lots of questions about medical insurance, where to live etc, so I would be grateful for help from anyone, especially anyone in the Boston area
  • Medical insurance cover seems poor, the deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums make it seem like it could get quite expensive. Obviously the UK is free, and France where we are now is 90%, so I have quite high expectations on this so I know I need to adjust my expectations. What is reasonable amount of cover?
  • If emergency medical cover is needed in the USA outside of the insured area (in this case New England) then do I need separate insurance for that?
  • I presume we will still need travel insurance medical cover if we need emergency care in other countries? Or does medical insurance in the USA normally cover emergency medical support in other countries too.
  • I presume that for visas we will need to prove we've been vaccinated against various diseases. Will we be told what additional vaccinations we need as part of the visa application? And with how much notice?
  • In case we have to quarantine when we move (probably April) then can anyone suggest a good place to stay for 2 weeks where we won't go mad

Thanks
I’ve only quoted the parts I am interested in commenting on.

Moving in April? Is the embassy even open for visa appointments? I believe you are currently in France so presumably the Paris embassy. As far as I recall, there is a block on certain visas being issued at the moment - immediate family such as spouses are excluded from the block, for example, but many work visas are “paused” at the moment. You might want to check that your category is even open for processing.

Assuming you can proceed and your visa can be issued, you will be advised of the vaccine requirements. You will also currently need to quarantine for 14 days before entring the US as people coming from Europe (with the exception of USCs, LPRs and certain family members) cannot enter the US at the moment unless they spend 15 days in a country not on the banned list before entering. Mexico is currently an option. As is Turkey, I believe. This applies to people coming to live as well, unless they fall under an exemption (which you don’t appear to).

My employer’s insurance policy covers me all over the country. It’s through a huge insurance provider, probably one of the biggest in the country. It’s not perfect but it has done a reasonable enough job for me and my family, even with being treated for cancer.

For the love of the gods, healthcare in the UK is not free. You are taxed handsomely for it. Although the costs here are not insignificant, when you look at your total deductions from your pay stub and compare that with tax and NI in the UK, you’ll probably be better off here. I was in 45% income tax bracket in the UK. I’m a high earner here too but even with the cost of healthcare for the household factored in, my take-home pay here is a greater proportion of my gross than it was in the UK. That said, you’re considering a move to Taxachusetts so this may not apply to you. But I just had to say something because it makes my eyes itch when I read “healthcare is free in the UK”.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
I think there are many ways in which a 401K IS analogous to a defined contribution pension scheme. Contributions go in pre-tax, grow tax free and cannot be used without penalty until you reach a certain age, after which income will be taxed. What am i missing?
Those are similarities - assuming a traditional 401k. To my knowledge that is where it ends. For a British person a 401k is much more equated to a stocks ISA that has a company match.

Note to OP - there could be a vesting schedule on the company match. If you leave before it's vested you will forfeit that portion of the money.

Last edited by tom169; Jan 13th 2021 at 8:33 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I've been in fintech since moving to the usa, and with the exception of signing some non disclosures/competes I've not signed anything with a header of "employment contract." This is unlike the UK in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.