Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job and life in Boston questions :)

Job and life in Boston questions :)

Old Jan 14th 2021, 8:18 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job and life in Boston questions :)

Originally Posted by tom169
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...nsion-plan.asp

The biggest difference IMO is what happens when you die. Pensions can die with you, a 401k will be in the estate and beneficiaries can inherit it.
A much better comparison for an IRA / 401k is a UK Stakeholder Pension.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bostonwilly
Hi Boiler,
For her, after a year or so, it's very important. If she doesn't get one we'll probably just leave. The project has major milestones in 4 and 8 years, so those are the timescales I'd like to aim for.
Yes it's probably not very practical with 2 young children.
Cheers
Well let's say she also needs a Hib and lets say she is not in the non profit field.

Assuming a one in 3 chance of getting lucky in the lottery for both of you to get one that is 1 in9.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 8:23 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
OP has said it's a startup with 100 employees (I don't know what industry)
most likely a investment related fintech maybe robotics, less likely Defence with only 100... but lots of activity in tech up there

even if they say 100... that could be global and include 1099, I checked it is 50, but even at the level it’s cheaper to pay the ACA fine than provide a plan : https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...alth-care.html

Last edited by tht; Jan 14th 2021 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest difference IMO is what happens when you die. Pensions can die with you, a 401k will be in the estate and beneficiaries can inherit it.
I guess i'm thinking of pension in the UK sense, where it can be defined contribution or defined benefit. SIPPs, i believe, can be passed on in an estate
Old Jan 14th 2021, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

That link only seems to refer to defined benefit pensions.

In any case given the link describes both 401ks and pensions as employer sponsored retirement plans I think it's fair to say that to the average Brit they are analogous in nearly every respect and certainly more-so than a S&S Isa.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint

In any case given the link describes both 401ks and pensions as employer sponsored retirement plans I think it's fair to say that to the average Brit they are analogous in nearly every respect and certainly more-so than a S&S Isa.
Ok, maybe that is where I've gone off course. My knowledge has been around defined benefit.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:36 pm
tht

except that when your leave you can roll them in to an IRA so your funds are no longer with your employer and you can keep combining/consolidating them if you move roles ans take your match with you, vs. smaller orphaned pensions.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well let's say she also needs a H1b and lets say she is not in the non profit field.

Assuming a one in 3 chance of getting lucky in the lottery for both of you to get one that is 1 in9.
Boston Willy - I'm quoting Boiler for emphasis, as this is the key point in this whole thread, not covered by any of your questions.

Even assuming you meet the requirements for an H1-B visa, there is about a 1 in 3 chance that you will get it. This is because there is a quota number for that visa type, and it's about three times oversubscribed each year. If you will only come if your wife can find a company willing to apply for an H1-B visa and then apply for it, and get one, don't bother, you're probably talking about a chance of

If the company has locations in France (or maybe somewhere else nearby in Europe) that you can work at for a year or more, try to persuade them to do that and then apply for an L1-A or L1-B visa, whichever is more appropriate. There is no quota on L visas. It sounds likely they're too small for that, though.

Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
except that when your leave you can roll them in to an IRA so your funds are no longer with your employer and you can keep combining/consolidating them if you move roles ans take your match with you, vs. smaller orphaned pensions.
Pensions in the UK are nearly all able to be combined and consolidated also.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 11:29 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Owen778
Boston Willy - I'm quoting Boiler for emphasis, as this is the key point in this whole thread, not covered by any of your questions.

Even assuming you meet the requirements for an H1-B visa, there is about a 1 in 3 chance that you will get it. This is because there is a quota number for that visa type, and it's about three times oversubscribed each year. If you will only come if your wife can find a company willing to apply for an H1-B visa and then apply for it, and get one, don't bother, you're probably talking about a chance of

If the company has locations in France (or maybe somewhere else nearby in Europe) that you can work at for a year or more, try to persuade them to do that and then apply for an L1-A or L1-B visa, whichever is more appropriate. There is no quota on L visas. It sounds likely they're too small for that, though.
To small for an L? I am not aware of any size limit, there are even shorter L’s for new entity set-ups... I have seen people in companies with single digit employees get them. There are different requiements for a blanket petition, maybe that’s what you are thinking of?
Old Jan 14th 2021, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Pensions in the UK are nearly all able to be combined and consolidated also.
From a US perspective I'm glad the older pension plans, like those still forced by some public positions are being phased out.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
To small for an L? I am not aware of any size limit, there are even shorter L’s for new entity set-ups... I have seen people in companies with single digit employees get them. There are different requiements for a blanket petition, maybe that’s what you are thinking of?
I meant too small to be likely to have a European office, which would be required to obtain the one year of employment with them before he could use an L visa.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

bostonwilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What do you consider a contract ? An employment letter laying out all the particulars of the job, together with general work conditions (vacations/health insurance/hours/assistance packages etc) would be considered a contract by most.

You'll most likely get this from your prospective employer
Yes that's what I have in mind as an "employment contract".
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
There really is no norm... if it’s a larger firm they will have a pretty standard offer...if it’s a smaller one or a startup it can vary massively... I don’t think healthcare is even a requirement below a certain number, maybe 50 employees.. what size firm is it? What sector? Is it established / profitable, or a start up? When I set up benefits for smaller firms (sub 10 US employees) I used a PEO called TriNet to offer good benefits comparable to a big firm, but often founders will only set up what they need and everyone else is stuck with it... your mention of “unlimited leave”
makes me think this is more tech / startup, but bigger firms are adopting it as well. I understand the term to be code for “no leave” I have always had 5+ weeks here except 1 role where I had to compromise at 4 because every other employee only had 2, but even then I basically read leave to me a days out of the office vs days in the office.. so I always have my laptop and clear emails overnight and then stay on call all day checking messages. Head to check on my my lake house and to ski tomorrow... will just work on the lift between runs... be ready for a culture shock if your used to a month of leave where you never work or check in like French summer vacation.
Thanks for the heads up about work/life balance
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well let's say she also needs a Hib and lets say she is not in the non profit field.

Hi Boiler, yes that puts a different perspective on it. However we won't apply for anything for my wife unless we're actually there already, but still 1 in 3 doesn't sound like good odds when the process only runs once per year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.