Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job interviews

Job interviews

Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job interviews

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
If the guy is coming in on an immigrant visa, therefore in some way sponsored by his wife even if they have a co-sponsor, will she not have to be here when he arrives or come over with him?
Yes.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:04 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
Yes.
That's what I thought because that doesn't seem to be what he is planning.

He seems to be suggesting his plan is to come over and when he is settled and working moving his wife and family over. Which isn't possible, unless there is some convoluted work around with her coming over and then just her going back to the UK.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muddy mudguard View Post
Hello everyone,

Update on my case is that I went to the Knighsbridge Doctors yesterday and had my medical, everything came out alright, and now I'm just waiting for my Visa Interview Date to be sent.

My question is simple really, I'm trying to arrange job interviews for the US and wanted some advice on how to approach them. I'm in Sales (Software) and am pretty good at my job.

From my experience some Americans are quite "Rah Rah" and I wondered for example if I should go to interviews and bring out the phrases of "Smile when you dial" "A grinner is a winner" etc.. etc..? Or should I approach the interview exactly the same as I would in the UK?

Any help anyone can give would be great!

Thanks

Muddy
If you are a salesperson, you should have no problem selling yourself at interview even if it is another country. However, the job market is exceedingly tight now and I'm not sure there's many vacancies for sales people of any sort.

Do you have experience or expertise in any other industries/areas of IT?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My question is simple really, I'm trying to arrange job interviews for the US and wanted some advice on how to approach them. I'm in Sales (Software) and am pretty good at my job.

From my experience some Americans are quite "Rah Rah" and I wondered for example if I should go to interviews and bring out the phrases of "Smile when you dial" "A grinner is a winner" etc.. etc..? Or should I approach the interview exactly the same as I would in the UK?
Since it's come out that you've worked for this company for a long time, I'd say you should take your cues internally.
I will tell you this; I am a recovering professional salesperson./USC & was in the top ten internationally in our org when I took a break. I had an offer from the office in Manchester UK that I strongly considered after marrying my UKC.
After observing them and becoming more acquainted with UK business culture, I concluded that my act would never play over there. I would've been miserable and ineffective if I hadn't changed my approach.

Probably because I would've been stereotyped as a dizzy Rah Rah American when I am in fact a miserable pessimist.

If you walked into an interview with me and offered any of those phrases, I don't think we'd be talking long. Don't look down on your US colleagues and clients, look for what you do have in common with them.
Glengarry Glenn Ross for bonus points.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted some advice on interviewing over there - whether or not 'culturally' or 'professionally' it's that much different than the UK.
Company culture plays a big part - East Coast vs West Coast bias also plays a role (Texas can be another thing all together) but generally I'd say US software sales folks are more expansive and overtly optimistic than a lot of their UK counterparts. It's expected that you will be brash and egotistical because that's also how they want you to present their products - if you are modest this will often be seen as weakness.

If you've worked for this company for 5.5 years already you should obviously be able to offer a lot of product expertise that an outsider couldn't but you may be marked down for not having local corporate contacts. If the job is farming a limited number of accounts or a particular vertical do as much homework as you can.

You didn't say how long ago you worked at the company but if you can get references from someone who you worked for at the company in the UK that would also be well known in the HQ organization that would probably be a big boost to your chances.

Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

muddy mudguard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again and thanks for all your replies.

To answer some of the questions posed:

1) I left the company in question exactly 1 year ago.
2) I already have 2 Sales Managers from the UK supporting my application.
3) They currently have 6 open positions (doing exactly the same role as I used to do in the UK) which they need to fill asap.
4) Ony other experience of IT is CRM stuff.

Finally, my wife is coming over with me. We are all planning to go over together as a family. I was planning on attending the interviews over there alone, but then return to the UK until all Visa stuff was finalised, then we all head over together when we can.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was planning on attending the interviews over there alone, but then return to the UK until all Visa stuff was finalised, then we all head over together when we can.
So you were planning on traveling using the VWP, before your Immigrant Visa is issued, to attent the interviews? I'm not sure of your chances of entering on the VWP when you are so close to receiving your IV.

Or planning to do this after you receive your IV? The problem with this plan is, it will be difficult to NOT use your IV to enter the USA while you have the the IV in your passport. When you show up at the POE with an IV in your passport, you are expected to use it to enter the USA and become a PR. In order to do this, your wife must accompany you on that trip.

Rene