Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job Interview questions

Job Interview questions

Old Jul 19th 2013, 2:38 am
  #1  
Are we there yet?
Thread Starter
 
Trixie_b's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 31 miles from Cool (California)
Posts: 2,467
Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Interview questions

Right guys, I've got an interview tomorrow, and they've asked me to come along with at least 2-4 prepared interview questions.

Being as my interview style is collaborative, I've normally got them to to tell me what I need to know before that awful time when they say "do you have any questions for me?"

I do have some noted down, but what questions would you like to know about a prospective new company/role?
Trixie_b is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:02 am
  #2  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 47,526
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Originally Posted by Trixie_b View Post
Right guys, I've got an interview tomorrow, and they've asked me to come along with at least 2-4 prepared interview questions.

Being as my interview style is collaborative, I've normally got them to to tell me what I need to know before that awful time when they say "do you have any questions for me?"

I do have some noted down, but what questions would you like to know about a prospective new company/role?
I have asked if there are any particular problems or issues that the company is facing that they would like the person in the position to solve. I also ask them to tell me what success would look like to them a year or so from now. Sometimes I ask them to say more about a particular element of the job that looks particularly interesting.

But I don't know if you should listen to me, since I haven't landed a new job yet.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:09 am
  #3  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,047
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Is there anything about the company that's been in the news that you could ask about? ... Expansion, new products, etc. .... Or how something in the news might affect their business strategy e.g. government cutbacks, healthcare expansion, resurgence of the housing sector etc.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:34 am
  #4  
Are we there yet?
Thread Starter
 
Trixie_b's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 31 miles from Cool (California)
Posts: 2,467
Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Both great suggestions. Thanks
Trixie_b is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:57 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 127
Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Job Interview questions

If the job is interesting, don't leave the interview by not knowing the next step is..
Caruthers is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:59 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
dakota44's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 26,124
dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Look some of these over.

Questions you should ask in an interview:

How would you describe the company’s culture and leadership philosophy?
Can you please show me some examples of projects that I’d be working on?
What is the single largest problem facing your staff, and would I be in a position to help you solve this problem?
What specific qualities and skills are you looking for in the job candidate?
Is this a new position, or did someone leave? If someone left, why did they leave or what did they go on to do?
What is the typical career trajectory for a person in this position?
What would you say are the three most important skills needed to excel in this position?
Who would be my manager, and will I have the opportunity to meet him or her?
Why do you like working here?
What does a typical day or week look like for the person in this position? Is there travel, flextime, etc?
How do you see this position contributing to the success of the organization?
What do you think distinguishes this company from its competitors, both from a public and employee perspective?
Does the company offer continued education and professional training?
How can I best contribute to the department?
What particular achievements would equate to success at this job? What would success look like?
Are you most interested in a candidate who works independently, on a team, cross-functionally, or through a combination of them all? Can you give me an example?
What is your ideal communication style with your staff? Do you meet regularly with your team, rely heavily on e-mail, use status reports or work primarily through other means?
How do you see me as a candidate for the job in comparison with an ideal candidate?
Do you have any concerns about me or about my qualifications that may prevent you from selecting me for the job?
What is the next step? When do you think you will be making a decision?


Questions to avoid in an interview:

Never ask for information you could have easily found with a quick Google search.
Never ask if you can change the job details, the schedule, or the salary.
Never ask many questions about the interviewer’s background.
Never ask about pay, time off, benefits, etc. (Wait until later in the process to inquire about these things.)
Never ask “What does your company do?”
Never ask “If I’m hired, when can I start applying for other positions in the company?”
Never ask how quickly you can be promoted.
Never ask “Do you do background checks?”
Never ask about gossip you’ve heard.
Never ask if the company monitors e-mail or Internet usage.
dakota44 is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 11:10 am
  #7  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,047
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Look some of these over.

Questions you should ask in an interview:

How would you describe the company’s culture and leadership philosophy?
Can you please show me some examples of projects that I’d be working on?
What is the single largest problem facing your staff, and would I be in a position to help you solve this problem?
What specific qualities and skills are you looking for in the job candidate?
Is this a new position, or did someone leave? If someone left, why did they leave or what did they go on to do?
What is the typical career trajectory for a person in this position?
What would you say are the three most important skills needed to excel in this position?
Who would be my manager, and will I have the opportunity to meet him or her?
Why do you like working here?
What does a typical day or week look like for the person in this position? Is there travel, flextime, etc?
How do you see this position contributing to the success of the organization?
What do you think distinguishes this company from its competitors, both from a public and employee perspective?
Does the company offer continued education and professional training?
How can I best contribute to the department?
What particular achievements would equate to success at this job? What would success look like?
Are you most interested in a candidate who works independently, on a team, cross-functionally, or through a combination of them all? Can you give me an example?
What is your ideal communication style with your staff? Do you meet regularly with your team, rely heavily on e-mail, use status reports or work primarily through other means?
How do you see me as a candidate for the job in comparison with an ideal candidate?
Do you have any concerns about me or about my qualifications that may prevent you from selecting me for the job?
What is the next step? When do you think you will be making a decision?


Questions to avoid in an interview:

Never ask for information you could have easily found with a quick Google search.
Never ask if you can change the job details, the schedule, or the salary.
Never ask many questions about the interviewer’s background.
Never ask about pay, time off, benefits, etc. (Wait until later in the process to inquire about these things.)
Never ask “What does your company do?”
Never ask “If I’m hired, when can I start applying for other positions in the company?”
Never ask how quickly you can be promoted.
Never ask “Do you do background checks?”
Never ask about gossip you’ve heard.
Never ask if the company monitors e-mail or Internet usage.
Never post information on a BB you could have easily found with a quick Google search.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 11:45 am
  #8  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 29,521
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

What... is your name?

What... is your quest?

What... is the capital of Assyria?
Nutek is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 11:47 am
  #9  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 47,526
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
What... is your name?

What... is your quest?

What... is the capital of Assyria?
What is it you do again?
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 1:10 pm
  #10  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,047
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
What is it you do again?
He quickly gets out of his depth when he moves beyond posting pictures!
Pulaski is online now  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 2:22 pm
  #11  
Boomshacalaca!!
 
Tarkak9's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: South of the North Pole.......Colorado
Posts: 5,010
Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

.... heard any good jokes, lately?
.... do you require my facebook password?

probably not wise to ask.
Tarkak9 is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:14 pm
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 10,678
Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

It depends on the job but since they want you to prepare questions, I suspect they are trying to figure out if the job is about your desires only or about the desires of both you and the company.

If everything is about "you" (what benefits are available, time off, work hours, pay, etc.), they may not be looking for such a person but if the questions are more about "how you can help the company which in turn will help you", you may be the type of person they are seeking. For example in the Silicon Valley, employers aren't looking for someone who may be worried that they may have to work more than a 40 hour week to get their task completed on schedule but probably would be fine with questions about job satisfaction which may possibly indicate that you are looking for an interesting job which may indicate that you will likely do a good job for the company.

Showing interest in other projects or roles in the company may be good but don't make it sound like you are willing to take a "dead end job" to get to one of the other more interesting positions within the company. Since you didn't say what type of job you are seeking, it is difficult to give advice on the questions to ask.

Normally there is nothing wrong with sounding ambitious such as "what do I need to do to get promoted in the future?" but if it was phrased such as if it was an entitlement, that may not be so good.
Michael is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 4:59 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
dakota44's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 26,124
dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Never post information on a BB you could have easily found with a quick Google search.
Never ask questions on a BB that you can answer with one.

Last edited by dakota44; Jul 19th 2013 at 5:25 pm.
dakota44 is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:12 pm
  #14  
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,487
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Where does the company, the people interviewing you and the position plan to be in 1/3/5 years time and action plans to get there?

What opportunities are there to move sideways as well up vertical in the company are there?

What is the turnover rate and how does to company help maintain if good, or plan to improve if not?

A fun one, if you had to study one subject/class to improve your worth at the company, what would it be?

Anyway, good luck!
Bob is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:15 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Interview questions

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
What... is your name?

What... is your quest?

What... is the capital of Assyria?
African or European swallow?
sir_eccles is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.