British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Job Interview questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/job-interview-questions-803342/)

Trixie_b Jul 19th 2013 3:38 am

Job Interview questions
 
Right guys, I've got an interview tomorrow, and they've asked me to come along with at least 2-4 prepared interview questions.

Being as my interview style is collaborative, I've normally got them to to tell me what I need to know before that awful time when they say "do you have any questions for me?"

I do have some noted down, but what questions would you like to know about a prospective new company/role?

Lion in Winter Jul 19th 2013 4:02 am

Re: Job Interview questions
 

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 10807575)
Right guys, I've got an interview tomorrow, and they've asked me to come along with at least 2-4 prepared interview questions.

Being as my interview style is collaborative, I've normally got them to to tell me what I need to know before that awful time when they say "do you have any questions for me?"

I do have some noted down, but what questions would you like to know about a prospective new company/role?

I have asked if there are any particular problems or issues that the company is facing that they would like the person in the position to solve. I also ask them to tell me what success would look like to them a year or so from now. Sometimes I ask them to say more about a particular element of the job that looks particularly interesting.

But I don't know if you should listen to me, since I haven't landed a new job yet.

Pulaski Jul 19th 2013 4:09 am

Re: Job Interview questions
 
Is there anything about the company that's been in the news that you could ask about? ... Expansion, new products, etc. .... Or how something in the news might affect their business strategy e.g. government cutbacks, healthcare expansion, resurgence of the housing sector etc.

Trixie_b Jul 19th 2013 4:34 am

Re: Job Interview questions
 
Both great suggestions. Thanks

Caruthers Jul 19th 2013 4:57 am

Re: Job Interview questions
 
If the job is interesting, don't leave the interview by not knowing the next step is..

dakota44 Jul 19th 2013 6:59 am

Re: Job Interview questions
 
Look some of these over.

Questions you should ask in an interview:

How would you describe the company’s culture and leadership philosophy?
Can you please show me some examples of projects that I’d be working on?
What is the single largest problem facing your staff, and would I be in a position to help you solve this problem?
What specific qualities and skills are you looking for in the job candidate?
Is this a new position, or did someone leave? If someone left, why did they leave or what did they go on to do?
What is the typical career trajectory for a person in this position?
What would you say are the three most important skills needed to excel in this position?
Who would be my manager, and will I have the opportunity to meet him or her?
Why do you like working here?
What does a typical day or week look like for the person in this position? Is there travel, flextime, etc?
How do you see this position contributing to the success of the organization?
What do you think distinguishes this company from its competitors, both from a public and employee perspective?
Does the company offer continued education and professional training?
How can I best contribute to the department?
What particular achievements would equate to success at this job? What would success look like?
Are you most interested in a candidate who works independently, on a team, cross-functionally, or through a combination of them all? Can you give me an example?
What is your ideal communication style with your staff? Do you meet regularly with your team, rely heavily on e-mail, use status reports or work primarily through other means?
How do you see me as a candidate for the job in comparison with an ideal candidate?
Do you have any concerns about me or about my qualifications that may prevent you from selecting me for the job?
What is the next step? When do you think you will be making a decision?


Questions to avoid in an interview:

Never ask for information you could have easily found with a quick Google search.
Never ask if you can change the job details, the schedule, or the salary.
Never ask many questions about the interviewer’s background.
Never ask about pay, time off, benefits, etc. (Wait until later in the process to inquire about these things.)
Never ask “What does your company do?”
Never ask “If I’m hired, when can I start applying for other positions in the company?”
Never ask how quickly you can be promoted.
Never ask “Do you do background checks?”
Never ask about gossip you’ve heard.
Never ask if the company monitors e-mail or Internet usage.

Pulaski Jul 19th 2013 12:10 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 10807697)
Look some of these over.

Questions you should ask in an interview:

How would you describe the company’s culture and leadership philosophy?
Can you please show me some examples of projects that I’d be working on?
What is the single largest problem facing your staff, and would I be in a position to help you solve this problem?
What specific qualities and skills are you looking for in the job candidate?
Is this a new position, or did someone leave? If someone left, why did they leave or what did they go on to do?
What is the typical career trajectory for a person in this position?
What would you say are the three most important skills needed to excel in this position?
Who would be my manager, and will I have the opportunity to meet him or her?
Why do you like working here?
What does a typical day or week look like for the person in this position? Is there travel, flextime, etc?
How do you see this position contributing to the success of the organization?
What do you think distinguishes this company from its competitors, both from a public and employee perspective?
Does the company offer continued education and professional training?
How can I best contribute to the department?
What particular achievements would equate to success at this job? What would success look like?
Are you most interested in a candidate who works independently, on a team, cross-functionally, or through a combination of them all? Can you give me an example?
What is your ideal communication style with your staff? Do you meet regularly with your team, rely heavily on e-mail, use status reports or work primarily through other means?
How do you see me as a candidate for the job in comparison with an ideal candidate?
Do you have any concerns about me or about my qualifications that may prevent you from selecting me for the job?
What is the next step? When do you think you will be making a decision?


Questions to avoid in an interview:

Never ask for information you could have easily found with a quick Google search.
Never ask if you can change the job details, the schedule, or the salary.
Never ask many questions about the interviewer’s background.
Never ask about pay, time off, benefits, etc. (Wait until later in the process to inquire about these things.)
Never ask “What does your company do?”
Never ask “If I’m hired, when can I start applying for other positions in the company?”
Never ask how quickly you can be promoted.
Never ask “Do you do background checks?”
Never ask about gossip you’ve heard.
Never ask if the company monitors e-mail or Internet usage.

Never post information on a BB you could have easily found with a quick Google search. :sneaky:

Nutek Jul 19th 2013 12:45 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 
What... is your name?

What... is your quest?

What... is the capital of Assyria?

Lion in Winter Jul 19th 2013 12:47 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10808132)
What... is your name?

What... is your quest?

What... is the capital of Assyria?

What is it you do again?

Pulaski Jul 19th 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10808133)
What is it you do again?

He quickly gets out of his depth when he moves beyond posting pictures! :rofl:

Tarkak9 Jul 19th 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 
.... heard any good jokes, lately?
.... do you require my facebook password?

probably not wise to ask.

Michael Jul 19th 2013 4:14 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 
It depends on the job but since they want you to prepare questions, I suspect they are trying to figure out if the job is about your desires only or about the desires of both you and the company.

If everything is about "you" (what benefits are available, time off, work hours, pay, etc.), they may not be looking for such a person but if the questions are more about "how you can help the company which in turn will help you", you may be the type of person they are seeking. For example in the Silicon Valley, employers aren't looking for someone who may be worried that they may have to work more than a 40 hour week to get their task completed on schedule but probably would be fine with questions about job satisfaction which may possibly indicate that you are looking for an interesting job which may indicate that you will likely do a good job for the company.

Showing interest in other projects or roles in the company may be good but don't make it sound like you are willing to take a "dead end job" to get to one of the other more interesting positions within the company. Since you didn't say what type of job you are seeking, it is difficult to give advice on the questions to ask.

Normally there is nothing wrong with sounding ambitious such as "what do I need to do to get promoted in the future?" but if it was phrased such as if it was an entitlement, that may not be so good.

dakota44 Jul 19th 2013 5:59 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10808085)
Never post information on a BB you could have easily found with a quick Google search. :sneaky:

Never ask questions on a BB that you can answer with one. :sneaky:

Bob Jul 19th 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 
Where does the company, the people interviewing you and the position plan to be in 1/3/5 years time and action plans to get there?

What opportunities are there to move sideways as well up vertical in the company are there?

What is the turnover rate and how does to company help maintain if good, or plan to improve if not?

A fun one, if you had to study one subject/class to improve your worth at the company, what would it be?

Anyway, good luck! :)

sir_eccles Jul 19th 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Job Interview questions
 

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10808132)
What... is your name?

What... is your quest?

What... is the capital of Assyria?

African or European swallow?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.